The second shifting theorem and the unit step function

In summary, we use the second shifting theorem to find the Laplace transform of the given function, f(t) = t2, by breaking it into two cases (t < 4 and t ≥ 4) and using the unit step function to account for the change in the function at t = 4. This allows us to express the function in terms of the unit step function and ultimately find its Laplace transform.
Rubik

Homework Statement

I am trying to do some revision for an upcoming exam and one question I am trying to figure out is

Use the second shifting theorem to find the Laplace transfrom of the following function:
f(t) = t2, t < 4
t, t ≥ 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand how to get from the question to
f(t) = t2[1 - u(t-4)] + tu(t-4)
I am really struggling with applying the second shifting theorem to express in terms of the unit step function I am failing to see how it works because nothing is explained in basic detail?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rubik said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to do some revision for an upcoming exam and one question I am trying to figure out is

Use the second shifting theorem to find the Laplace transfrom of the following function:
f(t) = t2, t < 4
t, t ≥ 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand how to get from the question to
f(t) = t2[1 - u(t-4)] + tu(t-4)
I am really struggling with applying the second shifting theorem to express in terms of the unit step function I am failing to see how it works because nothing is explained in basic detail?

Think of it this way. You start out with f(t) = t2. Then at t = 4 you want to take out the t2 and put in t, so you add the term u(t-4)(-t2+t).

Then put it all together:

f(t) = t2+u(t-4)(-t2+t)

Now, if you wish, you can collect terms on the various powers of t:

f(t) = t2(1-u(t-4)) + tu(t-4)

Related to The second shifting theorem and the unit step function

1. What is the second shifting theorem?

The second shifting theorem, also known as the time shifting theorem, is a mathematical theorem used in the study of signals and systems. It states that if a function f(t) has a Laplace transform F(s), then the time-shifted function f(t-t0) has a Laplace transform e-t0sF(s).

2. What is the unit step function?

The unit step function, also known as the Heaviside step function, is a mathematical function that is 0 for negative arguments and 1 for positive arguments. It is commonly denoted as u(t) or H(t) and is used to model sudden changes or jumps in a signal.

3. How is the second shifting theorem applied to the unit step function?

The second shifting theorem can be used to find the Laplace transform of a time-shifted unit step function. By applying the theorem, the Laplace transform of u(t-a) can be found as e-as/s, where a is the time shift.

4. What is the significance of the second shifting theorem and the unit step function in engineering?

The second shifting theorem and the unit step function are important concepts in engineering, particularly in the fields of control systems and signal processing. They are used to model and analyze systems with sudden changes or jumps in signals, which are common in real-world applications.

5. Can the second shifting theorem be applied to other functions besides the unit step function?

Yes, the second shifting theorem can be applied to other functions as long as they have a Laplace transform. It can be used to find the Laplace transform of a time-shifted function, regardless of its form, as long as the original function has a Laplace transform.