Laplace Transforms Involving: Unit-Step, and Ramp Functions

In summary: You can easily check it using Wolfram Alpha, for instance. In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a math assignment involving the use of step functions, specifically the unit-step function and the ramp function. The student is trying to find the Laplace transform of a specific function and is also asked to write a function as a linear combination of the unit-step function. Through the conversation, the student is able to successfully solve the problem and verify the solution through graphing.
ConnorM

Homework Statement

Here is an imgur link to my assignment: http://imgur.com/N0l2Buk
I also uploaded it as a picture and attached it to this post.

Homework Equations

[itex]u_c (t) =
\begin{cases}
1 & \text{if } t \geq c \\
0 & \text{if } t < c
\end{cases}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1.1 -

[itex]L[tu(t)] = \int_0^∞ tu(t)e^{-st} \,dt[/itex]

Using the definition of the step function, [itex] t \geq 0, u(t) = 1[/itex]
*Is it right to assume that [itex] c = 0 [/itex]?*

[itex]L[tu(t)] = \int_0^∞ t(1)e^{-st} \,dt[/itex]

[itex]L[tu(t)] = \int_0^∞ te^{-st} \,dt[/itex]

[itex]L[tu(t)] = 1/s^2 [/itex]

I'm not sure if this is correct. Should it be solved using the rule, [itex] L[tf(t)] = -F'(s)[/itex]

Question 1.2 -

Let [itex] r_1 (t), r_2 (t) [/itex] be the two ramp functions

Let [itex] u_1 (t), u_2 (t) [/itex] be the two unit-step functions

[itex]r_1 (t) =
\begin{cases}
t & \text{if } 0 \leq t < 1
\end{cases}[/itex]

[itex]r_2 (t) =
\begin{cases}
t+1 & \text{if } 1 \leq t < 2
\end{cases}[/itex]

[itex]u_2 (t) =
\begin{cases}
3 & \text{if } 2 \leq t < 4
\end{cases}[/itex]

I'm not quite sure what to do for the unit-step functions. Could someone help me figure out what they should be?

Attachments

• Assignment1.JPG
    Assignment1.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 3,092
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your transformation is correct. For the second part, I do not think you have done what was intended. You are supposed to write the function as a linear combination, not as different expressions in different regions.

Orodruin said:
Your transformation is correct. For the second part, I do not think you have done what was intended. You are supposed to write the function as a linear combination, not as different expressions in different regions.

So would it be something like,

Let [itex]y(t)[/itex] be the function on the graph that I am trying to recreate.
** Is this true, [itex]r(t) = tu(t)[/itex]? **

So,

[itex]y(t) = tu(t) - (t+1)u(t-1) - 3u(t-2)[/itex]

Although I still don't know what the second unit-step function should be?

Last edited:
ConnorM said:
Although I still don't know what the second unit-step function should be?

Have you tried plotting the function you gave? How does it differ from the one you should find?

ConnorM said:
$$y(t) = tu(t) - (t+1)u(t-1) - 3u(t-2)$$
Try plotting the function g(t) = u(t-1)-u(t-2). You should see it's a pulse. Now consider what you'll get if you multiply g(t) by some function. Try plotting the function f(t) alone and the product f(t)g(t). For instance, try it with f(t) = t2. Do you understand the effect of multiplying by g(t) on the graph?

Orodruin said:
Have you tried plotting the function you gave? How does it differ from the one you should find?

I tried plotting it and from what I see it's not similar at all.

vela said:
Try plotting the function g(t) = u(t-1)-u(t-2). You should see it's a pulse. Now consider what you'll get if you multiply g(t) by some function. Try plotting the function f(t) alone and the product f(t)g(t). For instance, try it with f(t) = t2. Do you understand the effect of multiplying by g(t) on the graph?

So multiplying f(t) by g(t) gives me a point on that function?

Which function? Which point? Can you elaborate?

So for g(t) that you suggested it gave a pulse at (1,1), then when I plotted [itex]f(t) = t^2[/itex] I got a parabola. When I multiplied f(t) by g(t), I got a pulse again at (1,1).

I suggest that you think along the following lines:
  • What happens when you pass the step of a step function? What changes? Where do these changes occur for the sought function?
  • What happens when you pass the base of a function of the form ##(t-a) u(t-a)##? Where do these changes occur for the sought function?

ConnorM said:
So for g(t) that you suggested it gave a pulse at (1,1), then when I plotted [itex]f(t) = t^2[/itex] I got a parabola. When I multiplied f(t) by g(t), I got a pulse again at (1,1).
I don't think you plotted g(t) correctly then. I'm not sure what you mean by a pulse at (1,1). I've attached a plot of what you should've gotten.

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    760 bytes · Views: 562
So I did some work with graphing the equations and I think this is the right one,

[itex] y(t) = tu(t) + u(t-1) - (t-2)u(t-2) - 3u(t-4) [/itex]

Let me know if this latex is working or not, I'm on my phone and can't see if it's showing up correctly!

ConnorM said:
So I did some work with graphing the equations and I think this is the right one,

[itex] y(t) = tu(t) + u(t-1) - (t-2)u(t-2) - 3u(t-4) [/itex]

Let me know if this latex is working or not, I'm on my phone and can't see if it's showing up correctly!
Looks reasonable.

Related to Laplace Transforms Involving: Unit-Step, and Ramp Functions

1. What is a Laplace Transform involving a Unit-Step function?

A Laplace Transform involving a Unit-Step function is a mathematical technique used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. The Unit-Step function, also known as the Heaviside step function, is a piecewise function with a value of 0 for negative values and a value of 1 for positive values. It is commonly used to model discontinuous or sudden changes in a system.

2. How do you calculate the Laplace Transform of a Unit-Step function?

To calculate the Laplace Transform of a Unit-Step function, you can use the formula: L{u(t-a)} = e^(-as)/s, where a is the value at which the step occurs. This formula is derived from the definition of the Laplace Transform and the properties of the Unit-Step function.

3. What is the significance of a Ramp function in Laplace Transforms?

A Ramp function is another type of piecewise function that is commonly used in Laplace Transforms. It represents a linear increase in a function over time. The Laplace Transform of a Ramp function is 1/s^2, which can be used to solve differential equations involving ramp functions.

4. How do you use Laplace Transforms involving Ramp functions to solve differential equations?

To use Laplace Transforms involving Ramp functions to solve differential equations, you can follow a similar process as with other Laplace Transforms. First, you convert the differential equation into an algebraic equation using the Laplace Transform. Then, you can use the inverse Laplace Transform to find the solution to the original differential equation.

5. Can Laplace Transforms be used for functions with discontinuities?

Yes, Laplace Transforms can be used for functions with discontinuities, such as Unit-Step and Ramp functions. The Laplace Transform is a powerful tool that can handle a variety of functions, including those with discontinuities or sudden changes. However, it is important to check the convergence of the Laplace Transform in these cases to ensure the accuracy of the solution.