The parity of a differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if a differential equation has a well-defined parity and what implications this may have for the solutions of the equation. It is determined that the equation in question has an odd parity, and thus can have both even and odd solutions. The concept of transformations and linear combinations of solutions is also explained. It is concluded that if a differential equation has a definite parity, there will always be solutions with a definite parity as well.
henryc09

Homework Statement

How do you tell whether a differenital equation has well defined parity or not? The equation I have is:

x3y'' + x2y' - x(x2+1)y=0

and it asks:

"Does this equation have a well-defined parity? What does this imply for the
solutions of the equation?"

My instinct would be that it doesn't have well defined parity, but I don't know how this can be checked. I would then imagine if it doesn't have well defined parity there will be both odd and even solutions, but I really don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Make the substiution:

[tex]
x = -x'
[/tex]

Express all the derivatives in terms of the new argument [itex]x'[/itex]. What is the form of the equation after this substitution?

-x'3y'' +x'2y' + x'(x'2+1) = 0

sorry I don't see how this helps

you made a mistake.

are you sure? I don't think I have, but even if I have I'm still not sure as to how this would help?

because the transformation I gave you defines parity.

right so if they are equal (when you use x and -x') that would mean the equation is even? And if the equation using -x' is equal to the original equation times -1 it would be even, basically just f(x)=f(-x) and -f(x)=f(-x) right?

So from that the equation doesn't have well defined parity, not sure what this would imply for the solutions of the equation though.

To avoid confusion with primed symbols, you might want to rewrite your equation as

[tex]x^3 \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} + x^2 \frac{dy}{dx} - x(x^2+1)y=0[/tex]

and then make the transformation to see where you made your mistake.

henryc09 said:
right so if they are equal (when you use x and -x') that would mean the equation is even?
No. It would mean the equation is invariant under an inversion.

henryc09 said:
And if the equation using -x' is equal to the original equation times -1 it would be even, basically just f(x)=f(-x) and -f(x)=f(-x) right?
An equation is written as lhs = 0. If lhs -> A*lhs under some transformation, where [itex]A \neq 0[/itex], that means the equation is left invariant.

Suppose [itex]y = f(x)[/itex] is a solution to the original equation. Then [itex]y' = f(x')[/itex] is a solution to the new equation. But, the new equation is the same as the original one. So, the new function is also a solution to the old equation.

henryc09 said:
So from that the equation doesn't have well defined parity, not sure what this would imply for the solutions of the equation though.
But, you did not prove that. I told you had made many mistakes.

OK I don't think I understand how to express the derivatives in terms of -x'. Would it just be substituting in -x' instead of x for d^2y/dx^2 and dy/dx?

Sorry for being so slow, I appreciate your help!

Use the chain rule:

The first derivative transforms to:

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} = \frac{dx'}{dx} \, \frac{d}{dx'} = - \frac{d}{dx'}
[/tex]

What does the 2nd derivative transform to?

hmmmm I think:

d^2/dx^2 = dx'/dx d(-d/dx')/dx' = -dx/dx' d^2/dX'^2 = d^2/dx'^2

so this will allow me to make the proper transformation, I'm still not sure how this will determine the parity of the equation

henryc09 said:
hmmmm I think:

d^2/dx^2 = dx'/dx d(-d/dx')/dx' = -dx/dx' d^2/dX'^2 = d^2/dx'^2

so this will allow me to make the proper transformation,

This is true.

and so substituting -x' in I get:

-x'3d2y/dx'2 - x'2dy/dx' + x'(x'2+1)y=0

I don't understand how parity is defined from this though.

but because you don't know the parity of y, which is a function of x would this not mean it's impossible to tell the parity of the equation?

First, you can write the equation in the form L(x)y(x)=0 where

[tex]L(x) = x^3\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+x^2\frac{d}{dx}-x(x^2+1)[/tex]

is a linear operator acting on y(x). What you've figured out is that L(x) = -L(-x). In other words, L(x) has a definite parity, and it is odd. When you refer to the parity of an equation, you're just talking about the parity of the operator part.

Second, if you change variables from x to -x, you have

L(x)y(x)=0 → L(-x)y(-x) = 0 → -L(x)y(-x) = 0 → L(x)y(-x) = 0

This means if y(x) is a solution, so is y(-x). Note we're not saying anything about the parity of y(x). The functions y(x) and y(-x) could be linearly independent; all we know is that they're both solutions to the differential equation.

Finally, since L(x) is a linear operator, any linear combination of solutions is also a solution to the differential equation. In particular, you can form the combinations

[tex]\begin{align*}
y_e(x) &= y(x) + y(-x) \\
y_o(x) &= y(x) - y(-x)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

and they have a definite parity.

For example, suppose you have the differential equation

[tex]y'' + y = \left[\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+1\right]y(x) = 0[/tex]

which has even parity. One solution to the equation is y1(x) = eix. Because the equation has a definite parity, we know that y2(x) = e-ix is also a solution. Neither of these solutions is even or odd, but you can always find ones that are:

[tex]\begin{align*}
y_e(x) &= e^{ix} + e^{-ix} = 2\cos x \\
y_o(x) &= e^{ix} - e^{-ix} = 2i\sin x
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Ah ok, so what you're saying is if the equation has definite parity you can always find solutions which have definite parity? Thanks very much for your help!

I thought we were not supposed to give detailed solutions...

Does it mean that a differential equation has even and odd solutions if and only if the parity of the equation is well-defined?

What direction of the equivalence (the "if" or the "only if") was proven in this thread?

Yeah, I think my mistake is to infer too much from what is given. But say I am given a function that does not have a well defined parity. Does this mean that it may or may not have even or odd functions as solution?

Hermes10 said:
But say I am given a function that does not have a well defined parity. Does this mean that it may or may not have even or odd functions as solution?

I think you meant "equation" instead of the bolded word. In that case, your question is whether this implication holds:

If the equation does NOT have a well defined parity, then the solution does NOT have a well defined parity as well.

By contraposition, it is equivalent to:

If the solution has a well defined parity, then the equation has a well defined parity.

How would you go about proving any of the above 2 equivalent statements?

Mhm, well, I suppose your previous comment proved that if L(x) has a well defined parity, then there are even and odd solutions to that equation. It indeed does not say the other way round, that is if there are even and odd solutions, the L(x) has then a well defined parity.

To be honest with you. I am utterly confused by all this. I worked long to try to understand what is actually going on here but somehow I just cannot get it. Is there any way to go about that? Maybe I should re-study all the Maths again.

Related to The parity of a differential equation

1. What is the parity of a differential equation?

The parity of a differential equation refers to the behavior of the solutions of the equation under a change of variables. It determines whether the solutions remain unchanged or are transformed when certain variables are replaced by their negative values.

2. How is the parity of a differential equation determined?

The parity of a differential equation can be determined by analyzing the highest order derivative in the equation. If the highest order derivative is an even function, the equation is said to have even parity. If it is an odd function, the equation has odd parity.

3. What is the significance of the parity of a differential equation?

The parity of a differential equation can help predict the behavior of its solutions and determine the types of boundary conditions that are appropriate for the problem. It also plays a crucial role in the study of symmetry and conservation laws in physics.

4. Can the parity of a differential equation change?

Yes, the parity of a differential equation can change if there are terms in the equation that involve odd powers of the independent variable. In this case, the parity of the equation will depend on the power of the variable in the term with the highest order derivative.

5. Are there any applications of the parity of differential equations?

Yes, the concept of parity is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in the study of physical systems with symmetries, such as the conservation of energy and momentum in mechanics and the conservation of charge in electromagnetism.