The notion of progress in the social sciences

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, progress can be defined as increased understanding or improvement in theories or methods, even if those theories or methods are still approximations or special cases.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What constitutes evidence for progress in the sciences? - including the social sciences!

I see two basic criteria.

1. The expert overview: An expert in a science can survey historical development and understand that current theories are better explanations that past theories. If the concept of progress applies then current theories are compatible with the theories they replaced, in the sense that although current theories may disagree with past theories, current theories also explain the experimental and empirical evidence that led to past theories and include past theories as approximations or special cases.

2. Technology: Progress in technologies that use a scientific discipline can be regarded as indirect evidence that there has been progress in the science.

Applying those criteria, do we find progress in disciplines like psychology, sociology, economics etc?

To do the expert overview would require an expert, so I can't apply that criteria.

Using the criteria of technology, one might argue that internet marketing, tracking of user's interests etc. is progress in technology. But is this sort of progress due to advances in psychology or economics? - or is it primarily the work of people untrained in those disciplines? I have the impression that it's mostly the work of people untrained in social sciences, but I don't have personnel data for any internet companies.

Likes Klystron and mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Applying those criteria, do we find progress in disciplines like psychology, sociology, economics etc?
Applying those criteria, do we find progress in biology, chemistry, and physics? I’m not sure spontaneous generation; the four humors; phlogiston; the elements of air, fire, water and earth; or Aristotle’s notion that ##F=mv## are approximations or special cases of subsequent theories.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Stephen Tashi said:
It may be more vague and takes longer to measure or make changes (because the applications change more slowly and in more difficult ways to measure than in science/technology), but I would say the way you do it is the same: by examining history and seeing if things are better now than in the past and in what ways.

[edit]
Hmm...Newton published Principia in 1686, and the next big breakthrough in gravity, as far as I know, was GR in 1915. Lots of improved measurements were made in between, but the theory itself didn't change. But an awful lot changed in both the theory and applications of the social sciences in that time.

An additional consideration might be the expansion of what is included in the field.
It may be that there are a lot of new sets of data that are being considered that were not before and "progress" might just coming to a way to deal with the new information sets.
I don't really think a lot of social sciences are mature enough at this time to have an overall all encompassing theory that covers everything.
If so, then just bringing together a new kind of data might be considered progress.

Likes symbolipoint
TeethWhitener said:
Applying those criteria, do we find progress in biology, chemistry, and physics?

I'd say yes, beginning at a certain point in history - not beginning at arbitrarily distant times in the past.

russ_watters said:
[edit]
Hmm...Newton published Principia in 1686, and the next big breakthrough in gravity, as far as I know, was GR in 1915.

There need not be breakthroughs to have progress. The Newtonian approach to mechanics was greatly elaborated through the years. As one example: Hertz's work on contact mechanics, 1882 according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_mechanics

TeethWhitener said:
I’m not sure ... Aristotle’s notion that ##F=mv## are approximations or special cases of subsequent theories.

This might not be so relevant here, but a while ago I came across this paper by Carlo Rovelli that discusses how some of Aristotle's results (e.g. that, in modern terms, ##v \sim c(\frac{W}{\rho})^n## for a body falling in a fluid) arise from approximations of Newtonian physics in a fluid (with a spherically symmetric gravitational field).

Although now we know that ##F = mv## is wrong, it would have been much harder to know this without an understanding of dissipative forces or indeed a framework for handling "forces" at all! But the result still carried with it some intuition of the physical world, some of which can be rationalised with full Newtonian mechanics treatments!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes atyy
Stephen Tashi said:
There need not be breakthroughs to have progress. The Newtonian approach to mechanics was greatly elaborated through the years. As one example: Hertz's work on contact mechanics, 1882 according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_mechanics
I didn't mean to imply that there was no progress at all, just no major/groundbreaking progress. By contrast, all of the world's democracies are <250 years old. Switching from a monarchy to a democracy is a groundbreaking change in social/government structure.

Stephen Tashi said:
I'd say yes, beginning at a certain point in history - not beginning at arbitrarily distant times in the past.
Isn’t “a certain point in history” a synonym for “arbitrarily distant times in the past?” As a possibly-relevant aside: vitalism (the theory that only living organisms can produce organic compounds) persisted well into the 19th century.

My point is that I’m not convinced that a new theory must incorporate past theories as approximations or limiting cases to supersede them. It only needs to explain observations with the same or better accuracy (and ideally predict new phenomena that older theories failed to anticipate).

TeethWhitener said:
Isn’t “a certain point in history” a synonym for “arbitrarily distant times in the past?”
No. "There exists a point" doesn't mean "For any given point".

My point is that I’m not convinced that a new theory must incorporate past theories as approximations or limiting cases to supersede them.

If we don't require the notion of making progress with a new theory to mean "building upon past work", I agree. However, as I indicated in giving my criteria, I do include that notion. If we don't include the concept of building upon past work, then what an average person would call "fads" in psychology, sociology etc. would be progress simply by virtue of being new.

If past theories are based on empirical facts and somewhat successful at explaining them, a successful new theory should not make predictions that contradict those empirical facts. So, somehow, the new theory must explain why the old theory was successful in those cases where it worked.

Stephen Tashi said:
So, somehow, the new theory must explain why the old theory was successful in those cases where it worked.
Ok but this could be as trivial as “the old theory was just wrong and somehow got lucky.” Hence my example of spontaneous generation.

What is the notion of progress in the social sciences?

The notion of progress in the social sciences refers to the idea that societies and individuals within those societies are constantly evolving and improving over time. It suggests that there is a forward movement towards a better state or condition.

How is progress measured in the social sciences?

Progress in the social sciences is measured in various ways, depending on the specific field of study. Some common methods include analyzing data and statistics, conducting surveys and experiments, and using theoretical frameworks to assess changes in society and human behavior.

Is progress always positive in the social sciences?

No, progress in the social sciences is not always positive. While some changes and advancements may be perceived as beneficial, others may have negative consequences. It is important for researchers to carefully consider the potential impacts of progress on individuals and society as a whole.

Can progress in the social sciences be objectively measured?

The notion of progress in the social sciences is often subjective and can be difficult to objectively measure. Different individuals and cultures may have different definitions and interpretations of progress, making it a complex and multi-faceted concept to measure.

How does the notion of progress impact society?

The notion of progress can have a significant impact on society, as it influences the way individuals and institutions think, behave, and make decisions. It can also lead to societal changes and advancements, but it is important to consider the potential consequences and ethical implications of progress in the social sciences.