Which Ideology Poses a Greater Threat to Science?

• Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
In summary, there is a divide between the Academic Left and Religious-Cultural Right when it comes to their assault on science and its methods and findings. Both sides attack certain disciplines and have notable ideas that they promote. The Academic Left tends to focus on epistemic relativism and postmodernism, while the Religious-Cultural Right tends to focus on biblical literalism and moral absolutism. There have been instances of feminists protesting scientific discoveries, such as particles, and some individuals have even claimed that scientific concepts like E=mc2 are discriminatory and elitist. However, these views are not representative of all feminists and do not justify acts like rape.
Moridin
With regards to their assault on science, its methods and findings? Note that this is a hefty generalization.

Academic Left:

Notable ideas includes epistemic relativism, postmodernism, the blank slate, the noble savage, the ghost in the machine, culture independent from biology, gender as a social construct etc. Favorite disciplines to attack includes anthropology, evolutionary psychology, neuroscience, most forms of consilience that bridges natural and social sciences etc.

Religious-Cultural Right:

Notable ideas includes biblical literalism, original sin, abstinence only education, the ghost in the machine, creationism, the family, moral absolutism etc. Favorite disciplines to attack include evolution, neuroscience, sociology, certain parts of cultural anthropology etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
My professor told me that some 30 years ago he had "feminists" protesting his school, because of all the new particles they were detecting. Apparently it was a phallic symbol to create all those particles or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those damn feminists. When's someone going to do something about them?
As far as the generalization goes I can not stand the religious right. I don't have a problem with the religious part, just the I'm right and anyone who doesn't agree me me is wrong and is going to hell part.

Apparently, E = mc2 is also discriminatory and elitist, since it privileges just one of the many, many speeds there are, and on top of that, the highest. What a patriarchal wester orthodoxy!

Also, calling rape 'natural' or that it occurs frequently in nature somehow justifies it.

Moridin said:
Apparently, E = mc2 is also discriminatory and elitist, since it privileges just one of the many, many speeds there are, and on top of that, the highest. What a patriarchal wester orthodoxy!

Also, calling rape 'natural' or that it occurs frequently in nature somehow justifies it.

I have never heard anyone try to justify rape. What kind of people do you hang around with?

tribdog said:
I have never heard anyone try to justify rape. What kind of people do you hang around with?

No, a bunch of feminists got upset because of the academic book "A Natural History of Rape: Biological Bases of Sexual Coercion" and claimed that explaining the natural mechanisms behind it would somehow legitimize the act itself.

Call it "organic" next time.

Related to Which Ideology Poses a Greater Threat to Science?

1. What is the purpose of asking which do you dislike more?

The purpose of asking this question is to understand an individual's preferences and dislikes, which can provide insight into their thoughts, values, and beliefs.

2. Is this a subjective or objective question?

This question is subjective because it is based on personal opinions and feelings.

3. Can someone have equal dislike for both options?

Yes, it is possible for someone to have equal dislike for both options. Everyone has different preferences and experiences that shape their opinions.

4. How can this question be useful in a scientific study?

This question can be used to gather data on individual preferences and attitudes, which can be analyzed and compared to larger trends and patterns. It can also help researchers understand the factors that influence someone's dislikes.

5. Are there any limitations to asking this question?

Yes, there are limitations to asking this question. It may not accurately reflect someone's true feelings as they may feel pressured to choose one option over the other. It also does not provide detailed explanations for someone's dislikes, which may be important in understanding their perspective.