The Mystery of the Equation of a Cone

In summary: Your fellow science enthusiastIn summary, the conversation was about the speaker's love for equations and their experience in a fluid dynamics class where they discovered the predictive power of equations. The problem they were working on was related to Torricelli's law and Bernoulli's principle, and they were trying to remember the exact equations they used to derive the equation of a cone from a cylinder with a hole at the bottom. It was suggested that they used the Navier-Stokes equations to solve the problem.
towelinmonk
Hi folks,
So the better part of ten years ago, I was a first year Theoretical Physics undergrad. And I remember the point at which I fell in love with the predictive power, and outright beauty, of equations – we were doing some fluid dynamics, and we were set the problem of a cylinder, full of water, which had a hole at the bottom. When you crunched the equations, as if by magic, the equation of a cone came out of the end. I remember the lecturer pointing out that this is the shape water makes as it drains, and my brain exploded a little bit. It was striking to me that the entire world can just fall out of these equations.

Nowadays I work in science communication, and I haven’t stretched those particular theoretical physics muscles in a while. So I’m struggling to remember exactly what it is we did to this cylinder to get the equation of a cone – Navier Stokes? Bournoulli? Threw pencils at the paper until the random marks made the right equation? I’ve no recollection. My notes from that era are in my parent’s attic in another country, and googling around hasn’t worked. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? Am I remembering this correctly? Is it actually possible to get the equation of a cone from the setup I’ve described? This might be incredibly simple and obvious, but it’s been a while...

Any help would be gratefully received!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experience and love for equations. It's always exciting to hear about someone's journey into the world of science.

From your description, it sounds like the problem you were working on in your fluid dynamics class was related to the Torricelli's law, which states that the velocity of a liquid flowing through an orifice is proportional to the square root of the height of the liquid above the orifice. This law is derived from the Bernoulli's principle, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant throughout its flow.

In your case, the cylinder filled with water can be seen as a closed system, with the hole at the bottom acting as the orifice. As the water drains from the cylinder, the height of the water decreases, causing the velocity of water flowing through the orifice to increase. This is why the shape of the water stream resembles a cone.

To derive the equation of a cone from this setup, you would need to use the equations of motion for a fluid, which are known as the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations describe how a fluid behaves under the influence of external forces, such as gravity. By solving these equations for the specific setup of a cylinder with a hole at the bottom, you can obtain the equation of a cone as the solution.

I hope this helps refresh your memory and answers your question. Keep exploring the beauty of equations and their applications in the world around us. Best of luck in your science communication work!

Related to The Mystery of the Equation of a Cone

What is the equation of a cone?

The equation of a cone is a mathematical representation of a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a right triangle around one of its legs. It can be written in the form of x^2 + y^2 = z^2, where x and y are the coordinates of a point on the cone's surface and z is the height of the cone.

How is the equation of a cone derived?

The equation of a cone is derived using the Pythagorean theorem and the concept of similar triangles. By rotating a right triangle around one of its legs, we can create a cone with a circular base. The Pythagorean theorem is then used to relate the coordinates of a point on the cone's surface to its height, resulting in the equation x^2 + y^2 = z^2.

What are the key properties of the equation of a cone?

The equation of a cone has several key properties, including its circular cross-section, its infinite number of solutions, and its symmetry along the cone's axis. Additionally, the equation allows us to calculate the volume, surface area, and other geometric properties of the cone.

How is the equation of a cone used in real-life applications?

The equation of a cone has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to design and construct objects with conical shapes, such as traffic cones, ice cream cones, and rockets. It is also used in mathematical modeling and simulations to study the behavior of conical structures in various scenarios.

What are some common misconceptions about the equation of a cone?

One common misconception about the equation of a cone is that it only applies to perfect, symmetrical cones. In reality, the equation can be used to describe a wide range of cone shapes with varying levels of symmetry. Another misconception is that the equation only applies to cones with circular bases. However, the equation can also be used for other types of cone bases, such as ellipses or parabolas.