Why Do Hydrostatic Forces Cause Differing Mass Estimates in a Cone Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab report on hydrostatic forces and the procedure of the experiment. The main question is how to better estimate the mass of the cone, with the suggestion to repeat the experiment with more precise measurements and varying the container or opening size.
tommywan410
I am working on a lab report on hydrostatic forces. I have encountered a problem.
I did the experiment by putting a cone in a container with a opening at the bottom. Here're the procedures.

a. Weight the cone Wc, measure its dimensions, and measure the diameter of the opening at the bottom of the container (See Appendix I).
b. Place the cone (with vertex pointing downwards) on the opening, when the container is empty. After that, keep adding water slowly until the cone pops up. Record the water depth h1 at which the cone pops up.
c. Place the cone (with vertex pointing downwards) on the opening, when the container is near full. After that, keep draining water slowly until the cone pops up. Record the water depth h2 at which the cone pops up.
d. Repeat step b and c for 3 more times and record down all 4 sets of data (See Appendix II).
e. Place the cone (with vertex pointing upwards) on the opening, when the container is empty. After that, keep adding water slowly and see whether the cone will float or not. Record the water depth h3 at which the cone floats.

For the first part of the experiment, we have to estimate Wc from h1, when object is floating, mg = Fb

Since hydrostatic forces = pressure*area. So, I integrate the pressure with the area of the ring at each level. Please see the attachment of calculation. I transform the edge of the cone as a linear function of x and y while x is the radius and y is the height. However, I have got a greater m than the actual m (by weighing).

For estimation by h2, I also use similar method to integrate the force. However, this time I got a smaller m than the above m. Shouldn't it be greater than the m estimated by h1 since some parts of the cone in first step is not in the fluid?

I would like to ask did my calculation go wrong or other things?

Attachments

• ???.jpg
    ???.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 661
  • Appendix I.docx
    27.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Results and Calculations.docx
    38.5 KB · Views: 306
Physics news on Phys.org
How can I better estimate the mass of the cone? Your calculations seem to be correct and you have identified the appropriate equation for estimating the mass of the cone (mg = Fb). It is possible that the difference in the two masses could be due to the lack of precision in the measurements. Try repeating the experiment with more precise measurements and see if the results are more consistent. You could also try to use a different type of container or vary the size of the opening at the bottom to see if the results change.

Related to Why Do Hydrostatic Forces Cause Differing Mass Estimates in a Cone Experiment?

1. What is a hydrostatic forces problem?

A hydrostatic forces problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces exerted by a fluid on an object that is submerged or partially submerged in the fluid. This problem is based on the principles of hydrostatics, which is the study of fluids at rest and the forces they exert on objects.

2. How do you solve a hydrostatic forces problem?

To solve a hydrostatic forces problem, you need to use the principles of hydrostatics, including Pascal's law and Archimedes' principle. You will also need to apply the equations for pressure and force, as well as take into account the density of the fluid and the depth of the object in the fluid. The solution involves setting up and solving equations to determine the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object.

3. What are some real-world applications of hydrostatic forces problems?

Hydrostatic forces problems have many applications in the real world, including calculating the buoyant force on a ship or submarine, determining the stability of a floating object, and designing dams and other structures that must withstand the pressure of water. These problems are also important in industries such as oil and gas, where understanding the forces exerted by fluids is crucial for drilling and production operations.

4. Can hydrostatic forces problems be solved for any type of fluid?

Yes, hydrostatic forces problems can be solved for any type of fluid, as long as the fluid is at rest. This includes liquids such as water and oil, as well as gases like air. The equations used to solve these problems remain the same regardless of the type of fluid, but the density and other properties of the fluid may need to be taken into account.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving hydrostatic forces problems?

Some common mistakes when solving hydrostatic forces problems include not properly setting up the equations, not taking into account the direction and magnitude of the forces, and forgetting to consider the density of the fluid. It is also important to use consistent units when inputting values into equations. Additionally, not understanding the principles of hydrostatics and how they apply to the problem can lead to errors in the solution.