The most ridicules thing you've read

• Thread starter fargoth
  • Start date
In summary: It was only when I began to look at the UFO documentation that I realized just how much deception and cover-ups there are.In summary, the most ridicules thing you've heard or read is that AIDS has a cure.
fargoth
Whats the most ridicules thing you've heard\read (which another person really believe to be true)?

I've just read some of the beliefs of falun gong in which their spiritual leader claim some really stupid facts to be true:
*there are many caves in France and south Africa, in which there are very realistic figures of humans carved into stone. these people, he claim, wear modern looking suits with hats and smoking pipes!
*there are tall buildings underwater which were built hundreds of millions of years ago.
*a fossil of trilobite was found with a shape of a boot's sole preserved in it.
*in the museum of the national university of Peru there's a statue of a men lookin through a telescope to space, and this statue is thirty thousand years old!

and the most ridicules one:
the Gabon republic shipped "used enriched uranium" to France in 1972, he says that many scientists came to Gabon to check how they got this uranium and found a very sophisticated nuclear plant (more sophisticated then the ones we use today) - and they discovered it was built two billion years ago, and was producing power for about five hundred thousand years!

I haven't had such a good laugh since i read catch 22! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything in the book "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne.

You're an IDIOT if you've read the book and claimed to be amazed by the secret. If you're weak, very gullible, unbelievably ignorant, amazed by pseudoscience, and in need of false hope, then it is understandable as to why you like this book.

People get rich by heredity, ingenuity, hard work, or just damn luck (emphasis on hard work). You don't attain this by obsessively wishing for it.
I pity anyone who takes this book seriously.

"AIDS has a cure."

Sad situation, but many misinformed people (the ones from the ghettos in my country as an example) believe in such a thing I always thought that was common knowledge.

When I first read it, I thought that the book, "Other Worlds", by Paul Davies, which discusses the Many Worlds theories, was about the stinkiest heap of dung I had ever encountered. I had never heard of such a theory and it was simply unbelievable. On my first day of upper division QM, about a week after I had read the book, I asked about this, and you can imagine my surprise when the professor answered: "Anything that Paul Davies says is gold!"

I had the same reaction to the UFO stuff. As a child, it was fun to think that there might be UFOs [i.e. alien spacecraft s], but I never took it seriously; nor did I realize that anyone else did. But a childhood friend had a book about UFOs and so called alien encounters, which I read. I found it to be disturbingly strange and outrageously absurd, and I certainly didn't believe the claims made. In fact I could hardly imagine what sort of people would make such strange claims. Then, twenty-one years ago I decided to take a serious look at the subject for a college report. Much to my surprise, I found that the more I studied, the more problematic it became to understand what was happening. It has been a hobby to research this stuff ever since. I now know much more about UFOs, but in many ways I understand the phenomenon less than I ever did; i.e. the subject is more complex than I ever imagined. The document releases under the Freedom of Information Act took the subject to entirely new levels of confusion. What were once myths and legends became officially documented events, with the documentation available through the government itself.

Last edited:

Related to The most ridicules thing you've read

1. What is the most ridiculous thing you've read?

The most ridiculous thing I've read is a conspiracy theory that claims the Earth is flat.

2. Why do people believe ridiculous things?

People may believe ridiculous things because of cognitive biases, lack of critical thinking skills, or a desire to fit in with a certain group or ideology.

3. How does the spread of misinformation contribute to people believing ridiculous things?

The spread of misinformation through social media and other platforms can create an echo chamber effect, where people are only exposed to information that aligns with their beliefs, making it difficult to assess the validity of the information.

4. Can ridiculous beliefs be harmful?

Yes, some ridiculous beliefs can be harmful if they lead to actions that put oneself or others in danger, or if they perpetuate harmful stereotypes or discrimination.

5. How can we combat the spread of ridiculous beliefs?

We can combat the spread of ridiculous beliefs by promoting critical thinking skills, fact-checking information before sharing it, and having open and respectful discussions with those who hold different beliefs. Additionally, platforms and algorithms can be designed to limit the spread of misinformation.