Considering a career in Engineering

In summary: This is something that I think would be valuable for almost any country, not just America. In summary, Raphal is interested in studying engineering over physical therapy and is considering many different options. He likes the idea of helping people who have been injured and the satisfaction of seeing patients healed. He dislikes seeing a long line of patients and the lack of variety in the work. He is attracted to the idea of increasing the ability of prosthetics and amputees to integrate more smoothly and at a high level and is considering biomedical engineering, nanotechnology engineering, and aerospace engineering. He also has an interest
Raphael Smith
Hello all,

My name is Raphal, and I'm 17 years old. I intend to enter college this August, and until a few weeks ago, was fairly certain that I would enter college to study physical therapy; however, recently I have been doing a fair amount of research about engineering. Particularly Biomedical engineering, Nanotechnology engineering, and Aerospace engineering.

Because I am fast approaching the point where I must choose whether I will enter college to study engineering or physical therapy, I would greatly appreciate any future advice that you offer.

Here's what interests me about in physical therapy:

• The ability to help people recover from injuries
  • The work schedule and type of activity
  • The (hopeful) close work with athletes
  • The comfortable salary and job security (listed as top job of 2009 and in the top 5 of 2010 by the sources I read from)
  • The exciting knowledge about how the human body works and how it can be helped to function better
  • The satisfaction of seeing my patients walking out of the clinic healed and ready for business

The things I don't like about physical therapy include:

• Seeing an endless line of people with basically the same conditions requiring almost the exact same treatment each time, lack of variety

So basically, all-in-all, physical therapy is still a very attractive option to me. Very few negatives at all, but I can't help but be attracted to engineering as well. As far as biomedical engineering goes, the idea of increasing the ability of prosthetics and amputees to integrate more smoothly and at higher level seems really great. I'd love to be able to help people (particularly people who've been injured from vehicle accidents, in combat, and from crime) regain as much back of their lost limbs/body parts as current knowledge permits. It's hard for me to imagine being without a leg or arm, but hundreds (maybe even thousands) of people lose them every year. I'd love to be a part of getting our engineering capacity to the extent where amputees could get arms, legs, hands, even ears, eyes, and facial structure back with up to 80% of the functionality that they used to have. Blind people could see again, deaf people could hear, and those born with physical defects could live a normal life!

This ties in with my attraction to nanotechnology too. As far as I know (and I could be wrong) nanotechnology seems to be the future of developing a life-like synthetic flesh. If we developed advanced and life-like and functional prosthetics/body parts, then we could use the synthetic tissue to remove most external traces of the injury. I think this is already being done to a certain extent in burn victims (which is awesome!) but not to the extent that I envision.

Another side of nanotechnology that is attractive is all the influence it has on everything! I was just watching a video about a nanotechnology engineer working on a paint-like substance that would (theoretically) take advantage of the process of photosynthesis in plants and allow for people to generate (using solar power) electricity by applying this substance to a metal surface and then exposing the metal surface to the sunlight. If this was created and it was affordable, think of the possibilities in the poor parts of the world. People in the hot places with little to no electricity like South Africa or the middle East could have air conditioning and electricity for better medical treatments of the local diseases! Think of the possibilities for people everywhere!

Another fascinating engineering career for me is Aerospace Engineering. I'd absolutely love to be a part of getting a close-to permanent colony on Mars, making space shuttles that would make that possible, and developing more fuel efficient and maneuverable aircraft. It reminds me of the Nazi aircraft that was theorized to have been built during WWII by German scientists and Komler. I think it was called "The Bell" and was able to hover by electromagnetic resistance (if memory serves me). I believe that this concept has almost been proven to be impractical and impossible for today's uses, but even if this particular option isn't possible, I'd still love to try to do something similar. I can't imagine that the most advanced form of aircraft possible will rely on a forward-backward engine capacity/rocket-like source of acceleration.

The last thing about engineering that interests me is developing body armor for soldiers. I hate hearing about so many soldiers losing limbs and being killed. It always seems like the military is always increasing the power of the weapons and not the armor. It seems to me that the only reason we need to worry about killing our enemies fast is because they may kill us first. That problem goes away, though, if they can't injure us at all, or very minimally. I'd love to be part of making a really powerful, but flexible (almost organic) light weight piece of body armor that would protect soldiers and people from I.E.D.'s, projectiles, and most common explosions. If I could do that, I'd use the same technology to develop air-droppable defensive position bunkers. I read in a Science magazine a few months ago (it could have been an old magazine, though) that scientists were developing a bullet proof wallpaper. I thought that was awesome, but if we could use that technology to create a bunker that could withstand rockets and explosions, we could air drop bunkers and defensive structures wherever we needed to. That would surely help our soldiers stay alive.

As a side note, I greatly enjoy learning, and am now pursuing excellence and extreme fluency in Algebra, Trig, Calculus (all types) and beyond. I love learning as long as the teaching is alive and not simply a flat stream of disconnected facts. My philosophy is that everything, from algebra to biology has a connection. Everything fits together to form the truth about how the physical universe operates.

So, I know that ultimately the choice will be up to me and that I'll just have to follow my heart, but keeping what I've written in mind, what kind of engineering career do you think would fit me best? Please keep in mind job security, salary, and the future of the career.

Thank you very much for making this far in my far too lengthy first post. I hope that it was at least a little entertaining.

Respectfully,

Raphael

Engineering news on Phys.org
83 views and not one response? Surely not...

PT requires a lot of memorization skills. Engineering--problem solving skills. You need to meditate about that for a while.

I (and presumably many other serious professionals--judging from the lack of responses) don't feel comfortable blithely advising anyone to study engineering. Personally, engineering has been a hard road to follow. It has had rewarding moments but usually it is frustration that dominates. It has also had too many economic boom/bust cycles that I've had to endure--not something I like to recommend. That said, if I knew back then what I know now, I'd probably still study engineering, but I would also plan on having an alternate career path to fall back on. In my next life, I plan to be a master plumber AND an engineer.

If you want to be an engineer then you must already really *want* to be an engineer. You should not be relying on anyone advising or attempting to pull you into becoming an engineer. Anyway, sounds like you like math--very good start. You should also be loving physics by now. It is one of the best problem-solving and weed-out classes I can think of. I would avoid engineering if you can't get As/Bs in physics. Why not plan to go to a school that offers both PT and engineering? Try to pass college physics in your freshman year. If you crash and burn--switch to PT. Pick a school that will actually embrace this plan. Or figure out a way to do both--pick one as your backup. Regarding your best fit, salary, etc.-- you should be looking at the Occupational Outlook Handbook.

lewando said:
PT requires a lot of memorization skills. Engineering--problem solving skills. You need to meditate about that for a while.

I (and presumably many other serious professionals--judging from the lack of responses) don't feel comfortable blithely advising anyone to study engineering. Personally, engineering has been a hard road to follow. It has had rewarding moments but usually it is frustration that dominates. It has also had too many economic boom/bust cycles that I've had to endure--not something I like to recommend. That said, if I knew back then what I know now, I'd probably still study engineering, but I would also plan on having an alternate career path to fall back on. In my next life, I plan to be a master plumber AND an engineer.

Thank you very much for the reply, lewando.

I fully understand why you and other engineers would be hesitant to recommend anyone to a tough career, and I appreciate your insight.

lewando said:
If you want to be an engineer then you must already really *want* to be an engineer. You should not be relying on anyone advising or attempting to pull you into becoming an engineer. Anyway, sounds like you like math--very good start. You should also be loving physics by now. It is one of the best problem-solving and weed-out classes I can think of. I would avoid engineering if you can't get As/Bs in physics. Why not plan to go to a school that offers both PT and engineering? Try to pass college physics in your freshman year. If you crash and burn--switch to PT. Pick a school that will actually embrace this plan. Or figure out a way to do both--pick one as your backup. Regarding your best fit, salary, etc.-- you should be looking at the Occupational Outlook Handbook.

I do like math and sciences, but at the same time, I basically like everything that is taught in a brain cell destroying rote-method. I'm actually using a number of imagination techniques that I have been using to increase my learning capacity and have been able to turn boring courses into quite enjoyable ones. (I'd be glad to link to the website where a number of these are listed if anyone is interested. The website is by Win Wenger PhD.) So I have a great desire to improve myself and learn almost regardless of what kind of subject it is. I do enjoy physics, and general problem solving in general, but there are other things that enter the equation when I think about an engineering career.

First of all, I'm a part time karate instructor at a local club that I've slowly built up a very strong relationship with. I may even become the head of the club in the next 10 years. Naturally, I want to go to a university that is close enough to the club that I can maintain my relationship with the club. For me, the closest university is the University of South Alabama, which happens to have one of the best DPT programs in the country as well as accepting transfer students from the Gulf Coast Community College in Gautier, MS without out of state costs.

Another thing I'm thinking about is that as a PT I'll be doing a lot of walking around and demonstrating. I won't be sitting down very much at all, and that's a big plus for me since I'm an athlete as well. Sitting all day is very detrimental to someone who wants to perform at a very high level athletically, whereas nearly all-day daily activity will greatly aid it.

Plus, if I go into PT, I'd like to work particularly with amputees learning how to move with their prosthetics.

Believe it or not, just writing the first post helped me clarify my thoughts about what would make me happiest, and I've done a considerable amount of reading since then (I read online a lot). I think that ultimately, my best bet is to go ahead with the PT plan, take extra physics and mathematics (they're required anyway) and see how it goes. I have to get a BS to enter the DPT 3-year program anyway, so unless I'm mistaken, that should set me up pretty well just in case I decide to go into engineering instead of PT.

Thanks again for your advice. I appreciate the inside view.

Raphael

"Advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer but wish you didn't."

Low amount of replies is probably a result of that essay of a post.

I get the feeling you already know what you want to do, but are just second-guessing yourself. Both have potential to be rewarding career paths with their unique sets of challenges.

Ask a PT or engineer if you can shadow them, or volunteer at a company for a few months and get a look at what goes on behind the scenes if it seems like it fits your personality.

dawin said:
"Advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer but wish you didn't."

Low amount of replies is probably a result of that essay of a post.

I get the feeling you already know what you want to do, but are just second-guessing yourself. Both have potential to be rewarding career paths with their unique sets of challenges.

Ask a PT or engineer if you can shadow them, or volunteer at a company for a few months and get a look at what goes on behind the scenes if it seems like it fits your personality.

You're right. In a few months I am going to apply to a PT technician position at a hospital so I can get a lot more real world experience. It's basically a part time job that allows you to work with the PT's and do the stuff that doesn't take too much training.

Thank you.

Sounds like a great opportunity, good luck.

dawin said:
Sounds like a great opportunity, good luck.

Thank you!

1. What type of education do I need to become an engineer?

In order to become an engineer, you will need to earn a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some universities also offer combined bachelor's and master's degree programs. It is important to research the specific requirements for the type of engineering you are interested in pursuing.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in engineering?

Some key skills for a successful career in engineering include problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, communication and teamwork skills, and a strong understanding of math and science. Additionally, being detail-oriented and having a passion for innovation and technology can also be helpful.

3. What types of industries employ engineers?

Engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, manufacturing, and technology. They can also work in government agencies, research institutions, and consulting firms.

4. What are the job prospects for engineers?

The job outlook for engineers is positive, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029. This is about average compared to other occupations. However, the demand for engineers in specific industries may vary. It is important to research the job market in your field of interest.

5. What opportunities are available for career advancement in engineering?

In the field of engineering, there are various opportunities for career advancement. Some engineers may choose to pursue advanced degrees, such as a master's or doctorate, to specialize in a specific area. Others may move into management positions, where they can oversee projects and teams. Additionally, gaining experience and developing new skills can also lead to growth and advancement in the field.