The Experience Of Mathematical Confusion

In summary, the conversation discussed the different experiences and challenges encountered in studying mathematics, including the feeling of getting stuck, confusion, and gradual decline. The speakers also mentioned books that explore the less talked about aspects of mathematics, such as the sleazy underside and essays on mathematical confusion. They also shared their personal experiences with understanding abstract concepts and the importance of purpose in learning.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
People have written about mathematical creativity and the joy and beauty of mathematics. What about the sleazy underside of mathematics? Has anyone written essays about Mathematical Confusion?

As I recall my teenage studies of mathematics, the most common experience was "getting stuck". I would read math textbooks on my own in a systematic manner, going through them in order, page by page, until I would hit some statement or "step" that I didn't understand. Then I would make no progress at all till I understood that passage - if I ever did.

I recall trying to read "An Introduction To Number Theory" by Uspensky and Heaslet. I got stuck when I hit the exposition of the Euclidean Algorithm. It has lines with many subscripted Greek letters. That type of exposition was completely new to me. There weren't any personal computers in those days so I had no experience in reading precise prescriptions for algorithms. I returned the book to the library. A few weeks later, I was in English class and I looked over at my friend Calvin, who was known as "a brain". He had "An Introduction To Number Theory" among his books. I asked him if he was reading it. He said "The first part made sense, but look, how can anyone understand this?". He opened the book and showed the page with the symbolic statement of the Euclidean Algorithm on it.

The "getting stuck" experience characterized my mathematical studies through my undergraduate years. Then the experience of mathematical confusion gradually changed. Instead of a step function ( -understand everything up to page 202 section 6 completely, understand nothing afterward) , it change into a more gradual decline. Maybe I accepted the fact that I wouldn't understand any subject completely. So I continued to "progress" through material while understanding less and less of it.

In very abstract courses there was another type of confusion. Various definitions were made that seemed unmotivated to me. Proofs of theorems were demonstrated. The steps all made sense the logic was undeniable. But why would anyone care about the result? The fact that everything seemed to be without a purpose contributed to the difficulty of remembering the exact definitions and theorems.

As life experiences go, I prefer the "getting stuck" feeling to "gradual decline" and I am nostalgic for it.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's why PF is a great site! We help people who got stuck!

I have a book about set theory which is written as an essay about all the strange facts that come with it. And I have a book titled: "What John-boy doesn't learn, won't John learn anywhen". These are probably not the books you thought about. One reason might be, that "confusion" is a very individual feeling which is hard to generalize which is needed to write a book about.

Likes DrClaude

Related to The Experience Of Mathematical Confusion

What causes mathematical confusion?

Mathematical confusion can be caused by a variety of factors. These can include lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, incorrect application of formulas or equations, unclear instructions or explanations, or simply a lack of practice and familiarity with the subject matter. It is important to identify the specific cause of confusion in order to address it effectively.

How can one overcome mathematical confusion?

Overcoming mathematical confusion requires a combination of strategies. First, it is important to review the basics and make sure you have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts. Next, seek clarification from a teacher or tutor if needed. Practice and repetition are also key in improving understanding and reducing confusion. Finally, using visual aids or real-life examples can help make abstract concepts more concrete and easier to grasp.

Is mathematical confusion common?

Yes, mathematical confusion is a common experience for many people, regardless of their level of expertise or proficiency in math. It is a natural part of the learning process and can often lead to a deeper understanding of the subject matter if addressed properly. It is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and it is okay to feel confused at times.

Can mathematical confusion be a good thing?

While it may not feel like it in the moment, mathematical confusion can actually be beneficial. It forces us to think critically, question our assumptions, and come up with new strategies to solve problems. It also helps us to identify areas of weakness and gives us the opportunity to improve and grow. With a positive attitude and proper support, mathematical confusion can lead to a deeper understanding and appreciation of math.

How can teachers help students deal with mathematical confusion?

Teachers play a crucial role in helping students deal with mathematical confusion. They can create a supportive and non-judgmental learning environment, provide clear and concise explanations, and offer multiple examples and practice problems. Additionally, teachers can encourage students to ask questions and seek help when needed, and provide resources such as visual aids or real-life applications to make abstract concepts more understandable.