The Commonly Confused Words Test

In summary, this conversation is about a person who took an English vocabulary test and scored highly on all levels, even though they struggled with grammar and spelling in the past. They attribute their success to their dedication to learning and improving their understanding of the English language. They also mention spending a lot of time editing their writing to make it more coherent.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I wonder what I messed up on? :frown:

Advanced

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 73% Expert!

You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.
Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

My test tracked 4 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 44% on Beginner

You scored higher than 25% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 62% on Advanced

You scored higher than 24% on Expert

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=14457200288064322170

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Advanced
You scored 85% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 33% Expert!

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 86% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

My test tracked 4 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on Beginner

You scored higher than 99% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 0% on Advanced

You scored higher than 99% on Expert

Love to see how the scores are handled.

"Stationary - stationery; farther - further."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ofikally an English genius!

Bystander said:
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 86% Expert!

I'd love to see the gender/age-wise scores. In my age and gender, as many as 7% scored 100% at Expert. So, either people my age are very good at the language, or people at your age are very bad.

Also, it's really strange that no one in your age & gender scored less than 93% on Advanced.

Advanced
You scored 85% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 73% Expert!
You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.

:bugeye: :-p o:)

You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert!

English Genius
You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go! [I knew that this test was complete BS! :-p]
You scored higher than 31% on Beginner

You scored higher than 44% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 80% on Advanced

You scored higher than 51% on Expert

English Genius
You scored 85% Beginner, 78% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 93% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

This would amaze my English teachers, who found my work somewhat illiterate with a lot of grammatical and spelling errors, it just goes to show that you can learn this stuff eventually, if you try.:biggrin:

Very pleased I'm not as illiterate is I had thought.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
This would amaze my English teachers, who found my work somewhat illiterate with a lot of grammatical and spelling errors, it just goes to show that you can learn this stuff eventually, if you try.:biggrin:

Very pleased I'm not as illiterate is I had thought.
"English Genius" writing "alot" :rolleyes:

You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 85% Advanced, and 85% Expert!

You scored higher than 99% on ExpertNot too bad :smile:

mattmns said:
"English Genius" writing "alot" :rolleyes:

Reading a lot since I was 3, and trying to work out how words are used, dyslexic so I've had a deal of problems with poor spelling and grammar for years, which made me look at my writing. Also forums etc, I used to get asked a lot to explain my posts as the sense wasn't apparent, so I spent a deal of time trying to make it more readable.

It wasn't a going to school type deal, but more of a just trying to be open to my obvious defficiency.

I spend ages editing posts because I can't write in a coherent manner off the cuff, so I often spend more time editing than I do writing.

Last edited:
He means you misspelled "a lot." ;)

devious_ said:
He means you misspelled "a lot." ;)

Precisely my point, although not deliberate, but then I think the last post explains that, I have a grasp for it despite not having an inate ability. And that shows that I have tried really hard, even if I fail, at least I try.

Sometimes people spend too much time pointing out faults in the exact phrasing or text of people and not addressing what they are saying, even though they understand perfectly well, this shows that people sometimes lack the witt to discuss for me, they rely on nit picking as an excuse for inability to discuss a subject. Sometimes they truly don't understand but these posts are different, they don't say it's their not there, they say could you clarify I didn't understand your point. The former is pedantry the latter is good recourse and polite. Also the first is against most forum rules where as the latter isn't. Who really cares about finickety grammar/spelling jockeys.

Obviously though in this thread it is warranted, because the subject is your skill with English :smile:

Last edited:
How'd I get 86% advanced and 100% expert?

You scored 85% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 60% Expert!

English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 100% Expert!

Oh yeah :approve:
(Then again, English is an easy language and that test was pretty simple)

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
It wasn't a going to school type deal, but more of a just trying to be open to my obvious defficiency.
deficiency

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Sometimes people spend too much time pointing out faults in the exact phrasing or text of people and not addressing what they are saying, even though they understand perfectly well, this shows that people sometimes lack the witt to discuss for me, they rely on nit picking as an excuse for inability to discuss a subject. Sometimes they truly don't understand but these posts are different, they don't say it's their not there, they say could you clarify I didn't understand your point. The former is pedantry the latter is good recourse and polite. Also the first is against most forum rules where as the latter isn't. Who really cares about finickety grammar/spelling jockeys.

Obviously though in this thread it is warranted, because the subject is your skill with English :smile:

wit:wink:

(Do you appreciate sarcastic humor?)

Chi Meson said:
wit:wink:

(Do you appreciate sarcastic humor?)

You're kidding right, I'm English:biggrin:

Yes but I'm somewhat bombarded with this sort of thing, so I do find it slightly grating as it happens so often that I can't ditinguish between sarcasm and ah well:smile:

If your going to make apost about speeling corrections you need more grist for the mill.

I think a common one to get wrong on the last page is the "further" and "farther" distinction. I probably only know this because one cross country season we had a cute female English teacher for a coach. o:)

English Genius

You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

For the complete Answer Key, visit my blog: http://shortredhead78.blogspot.com/.My test tracked 4 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on Advanced

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I'd love to see the gender/age-wise scores. In my age and gender, as many as 7% scored 100% at Expert. So, either people my age are very good at the language, or people at your age are very bad.
I was wondering that too.

I took the test a while ago though, when I had a lot more free time than I do now, so the scores for my age/gender may be very different now that more people have taken it. That, or our generation actually knows how to spell! :biggrin:

English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 93% Expert!

For the complete Answer Key, visit my blog: http://shortredhead78.blogspot.com/.

This test tracked 4 variables. How the score compared to the other people's:

Higher than 62% on Beginner

Higher than 39% on Intermediate

Higher than 77% on Advanced

Higher than 84% on Expert

Moonbear said:
I was wondering that too.

I took the test a while ago though, when I had a lot more free time than I do now, so the scores for my age/gender may be very different now that more people have taken it. That, or our generation actually knows how to spell! :biggrin:
I got 100, 100, 93 & 100 (in that order) and I think my percentiles were similar to yours (I was lower on advanced and higher on expert). I also have a fair idea of which question many folks got wrong in advanced (all those with 93% in adv) - it was one where I didn't expect the test-setter to know the right answer and deliberately chose the next best wrong one. (I later found that this wrong answer now falls under "acceptable grammar"!)

Anyway, getting that wrong - as I should have - convinced me that this test-maker was no fake nazi! And even though the answer I picked is supposedly correct, I'm glad the tester didn't consider it so (neither did I, until after I'd taken the test, though I still don't like it ).

PS: I owe one correct answer to the Sean Connery flick, Finding Forrester (those of you that've seen it will know which one).

Last edited:
I've also noticed that all questions within a difficulty level do not carry the same number of points. Strange!

Wow, I got something like

80% Beginner, 84% Intermediate, 89% Advanced, and 98% Expert

Turns out that I'm one of those whose brain has to go through a warm up session before it switches gear :biggrin:

English Genius
You scored 92% Beginner, 85% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 86% Expert!

Not bad when English is your second language. =)

English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

You scored higher than 99% on Advanced

And I thought that my English was poor... :biggrin:
And it seems Mickey and I are in the same boat.

Gokul43201 said:
I got 100, 100, 93 & 100 (in that order) and I think my percentiles were similar to yours (I was lower on advanced and higher on expert). I also have a fair idea of which question many folks got wrong in advanced (all those with 93% in adv) - it was one where I didn't expect the test-setter to know the right answer and deliberately chose the next best wrong one. (I later found that this wrong answer now falls under "acceptable grammar"!)
I too did better at "expert" I think for the same reason. I was confused as to which "wrong" answers have become acceptable.

You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 53% Expert!

Man, I thought I did good, but apparently everyone else my age/sex is better than me

You scored higher than 28% on Beginner

You scored higher than 38% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 42% on Advanced

You scored higher than 2% on Expert

edit: I seriously thought it was incorrect english to say "hanged" because I always hear it in old west movies, in some redneck accent, giving me the impression that it was a characteristic added to the script.

On the other hand, watching the Deadwood seasons, it seems people used to speak a lot more intelligently (plus a lot of curses)

Last edited:
This is actual proof that the easy stuff is hard for me, and the Hard Stuff is easy for me! I've been trying to prove this idea of me for the longest time.

I scored 71% Beginner, 71% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 86% Expert!

Your test results are extremely interesting. Though your test scores in the beginner and intermediate levels weren't very high, you got at least 75% of the advanced and expert level questions correct. Possibly you guessed very well in the advanced and expert level sections? I don't know what else to say. You puzzle me immensely. But...

You scored higher than 2% on Beginner

You scored higher than 1% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 21% on Advanced

You scored higher than 69% on Expert

I'm one of those stupid people who are smart. I'm the guy who has never studied a day in life, but manages to get the highest score on the SATs. I'm the guy who sleeps in class and doesn't turn in homework, but manages to pass.

Last edited:
Mine said "You've answered 40 of 40, by the way" at the end, before asking me for personal information and a username. I don't like sites that ask for personal information, so I closed it.

I don't know how 40/40 would get translated into Beginner, etc. categories, but I can only assume it means all four categories are 100%?

- Warren

lmao! I don't like sites that do that too. But I was brave enough to do it just that one time. If I start getting freqent e-mails from places that affiliate with that site, I'm going to be ultra pissed and am going to highly regret taking the test.

When did you give them personal info and your e-mail? I was asked for a gender and age, but I just made those up.

I could've sworn Chroot already signed up ages ago and was the one who told me to just make up stuff on the registration. I guess I'm confused about that now.

chroot said:
I don't know how 40/40 would get translated into Beginner, etc. categories, but I can only assume it means all four categories are 100%?
No, it just means that you answered all of them.

I didn't need to give personal information. Just don't fill in the part where it asks for a user name, and you should be fine.