The Benefits of a Minor in Aero/Astro Engineering

• Programs
  • Thread starter sydneyfranke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits of minoring in Aero/Astro Engineering for a ME major. The individual is interested in pursuing a master's program in AE and wants to know if the minor will provide enough credits for acceptance. They also inquire about the job prospects with a minor in AE and what it could offer in the workforce. The conversation ends with a reminder to follow one's interests and passions when choosing a major or course of study.
sydneyfranke
Hey everyone. Just a quick question . . . . I am a ME major, about to start my second year. I've always been fascinated with space and such, so I'm wanting to minor in Aero/Astro Engineering. The only reason I'm minoring and not majoring in this is because there is not a program in my state that offers a major in AE, so this is my best option (and I really can't afford out of state tuition for a Bachelor's).

Anyways, what I'm wanting to know is what help this minor could realistically provide for me. I have plans for grad school, and I would really like to pursue an AE master's program. I will provide a link at the bottom outlining the required courses for my minor, but will this be enough credits to get me accepted into a master's program? If not, how should I go about getting the required credits?

Also, if grad school is not something that works out for me in the future, what could a minor in AE do for me in the work force? Would it be possible to get hired on as an AE or would I just be considered a ME that knows a little about AE stuff?

Grad school is certainly first in line as far as priorities (after undergrad of course), but I know that sometimes life doesn't go as planned and I was just was wondering where I would stand with that degree.

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Here's the link.
http://appl003.lsu.edu/mech/mechweb.nsf/$Content/Getting+an+ME+Minor/$file/ME_Aero_Minor.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what a minor in AE can do for you. But in general, I would think that as a ME, you should be fully employable in the AE field. One of my friends was a Physics major, and now works at Edwards Air Force Base as an engineer, so I am sure as an ME major, you would be very qualified to work in AE. As far as grad school is concerned, I think the same idea applies. You are trained as an engineer, a problem solver. Those skills translate very well across the whole of engineering.

I know you wouldn't be the first person whose ever graduated in one field and went to grad school in another, closely related field.

With that said, I see a trend on these boards: People asking advice on classes and/or majors for the end result of "Will it help me get into grad school for this..." whatever happened to picking a major or course because you actually love it and have a deep interest in it. You've certainly expressed your interest for AE, so go for the minor if that's what you like!

Related to The Benefits of a Minor in Aero/Astro Engineering

What is a minor?

A minor is a secondary field of study that a student can choose in addition to their major. It typically consists of a set number of courses in a specific subject area.

Why should I pursue a minor?

A minor can enhance your knowledge and skills in a specific subject area, making you more well-rounded and marketable to employers. It can also complement your major and provide a career advantage.

Will a minor help me get a job?

Having a minor on your resume can demonstrate your interests and abilities beyond your major, making you stand out to employers. It can also provide you with additional knowledge and skills that may be valuable in your chosen field.

Can I have more than one minor?

It depends on your university's policies. Some universities may allow you to have multiple minors, while others may have restrictions. It is best to check with your academic advisor to see what options are available to you.

Do employers care about minors?

Employers may view minors as an indicator of a well-rounded education and diverse interests. However, it ultimately depends on the employer and the specific job you are applying for. It is always beneficial to have a minor, but it may not be a deciding factor in the hiring process.