Textbooks for the math of a B.S. in Physics and Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach to studying math and suggests using books like Sokolnikoff & Redheffer and Kreyszig for applied math, with Kreyszig being a recommended choice. It is also mentioned that books like Apostol and Spivak may be too formal and not suitable for the desired goal.
Fraze
Should one focus on just the ability to DO the math or also the theory behind it? Would a the book " ISBN-10: 0521679710 " suffice or should I do something to the effect of Spivak's or Apostol's calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't speak ISBN, so I cant' really address your question. For applied math (engineering/physics), I recommend books like Sokolnikoff & Redheffer, and the one by Kreyszig.

Kreyszig is a good choice, I think. At least it was for me when I did my B.S. in the 80s in EE. We did have Apostol as a reference in our freshman calculus class, but it's going to be too formal and proofy and really meant for math majors and not suited for what you want. Same for Spivak.

Related to Textbooks for the math of a B.S. in Physics and Engineering?

1. What textbooks are recommended for a B.S. in Physics and Engineering?

The textbooks recommended for a B.S. in Physics and Engineering vary depending on the specific courses and curriculum of each university. However, some commonly used textbooks include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. It is best to consult with your university or professors for their recommended textbooks.

2. Are there any online resources for textbooks in this field?

Yes, there are various online resources for textbooks in physics and engineering, such as OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer free or low-cost digital versions of textbooks, making them more accessible to students. However, it is important to make sure that the online version is the same as the required textbook for your course.

3. Can I use older editions of textbooks for my courses?

It is possible to use older editions of textbooks, but it is not recommended. Newer editions often include updated content and may have different problem sets, making it difficult to follow along with the current course material. Additionally, some professors may require specific editions for their courses. It is best to check with your professor before purchasing an older edition of a textbook.

4. Are there any alternative textbooks for students who struggle with math?

Yes, there are alternative textbooks and resources available for students who struggle with math. Some examples include "Math for the Nonmathematician" by Morris Kline and "Basic Mathematics for the Physical Sciences" by Robert Lambourne. These textbooks focus on the essential math skills needed for physics and engineering, providing a more approachable and practical perspective.

5. How can I save money on textbooks for my B.S. in Physics and Engineering?

There are several ways to save money on textbooks, including buying used books, renting textbooks, and purchasing digital versions. You can also check if your university has a library reserve copy of the textbook, borrow from a friend or classmate, or search for online resources that offer free textbooks. Additionally, some universities offer book scholarships or financial aid for textbooks. It is best to plan ahead and compare prices from different sources to find the most affordable option.