Test Your Speed: 10 Fast Fingers

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
In summary: I tend to be near 55 now, and I never exceeded 59 not did I perform less than 50.- I expected the statistics to be worse than gaussian, because I correct myself on the way. It looks like it's a pretty bad idea to delete typos, but I can't help.- 45 with 1 mistake and 46 with 0. That's better than I expected. I still look at the keyboard and that story wasn't exactly reading material that I could easily remember while typing.- Took two trial runs to "limber up" those fingers :tongue:
WiFO215
Physics news on Phys.org
72 with 0 mistakes (first attempt), 76 and 74 were my other attempts, so I guess I average around the low 70s.

Last edited:
Bleh. 45 wpm, 1 mistake.

I don't know if that's high or low

283 points
378 char/min
66 correct
1 error

At mu fassest spedd I cam typ eone hunerd an fftiy wrdos a minute .

jimmysnyder said:
At mu fassest spedd I cam typ eone hunerd an fftiy wrdos a minute .

:smile:

I reckon a test like that is harder than typing a passage of text that makes sense. Try this site: http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php. There are several passages (though some have grammatical errors!). I got 80 and 83 words per minute, with a couple of mistakes each time.

255 points
306 characters per minute
53 correct words
0 wrong
I did not understand the story at all

It's fun though, I feel like trying again :smile:

First attempt:
80 wpm w/3 mistakes

2nd: 83
3rd: 89

I love speed drills - especially when it just nice easy words like this one!

77 with 2 wrong

37 words per minute :cry:

Some results from me (I didn't write down the first ones, though):

366, 63, 1
402, 72, 2
404, 71, 1
396, 73, 1
435, 82, 2

It looks like 80 is some kind of magical limit. Those who write 80 words without mistakes are gurus.

223 points
324 cpm
56 correct
2 wrong

Surprisingly, this was fun

353, 65, 1 was my first run. I didn't realize it was going to give me more words, so I paused after the first screen, thinking I was done. I'll have to try again now that I know how it works.

Happily, I was able to type all of it without looking at either the keyboard or the letters I was producing on the screen...just reading the words I was supposed to type. Two years ago I could not type without looking, so that's pretty good. :)

By the way, is there anyone here who uses a Dvorak keyboard and is really fast with it (not me)? I'd be curious to know what you can score that way.

Darn, I'm having too much fun. I just lost half an hour. My findings :

- not listening to music increased my rate by something like 5% !
- I'm in the middle 50s, and the fluctuations are definitely less than expected from gaussian statistics (~ 7.5). While my first attempt was 53, I tend to be near 55 now, and I never exceeded 59 not did I perform less than 50.
- I expected the statistics to be worse than gaussian, because I correct myself on the way. It looks like it's a pretty bad idea to delete typos, but I can't help.

45 with 1 mistake and 46 with 0. That's better than I expected. I still look at the keyboard and that story wasn't exactly reading material that I could easily remember while typing.

Took two trial runs to "limber up" those fingers :-p

These are results of third attempt:

Speedtest said:
350 points, so you achieved position 5457 of 141103 on the ranking list

You type 448 characters per minute
You have 85 correct words and
you have 0 wrong words

I have tried 5 times now but the cite crashes with error 405 not for chimps or other lower species.

wolram said:
I have tried 5 times now but the cite crashes with error 405 not for chimps or other lower species.

:smile:

Hmph,
first attempt I got 83wpm 0 mistakes second time 81wpm 1 mistake...

The mistake came i think from the last word since it ended before i finished typing the word...

EDIT: 3rd attempt 87wpm 0 mistakes.
4th attempt 91wpm 0 mistakes
I always thought i would be able to type faster...

I think that it's because the words that are in this story are random and don't make sense to me to put together so i have to think about what I'm about to type instead of just typing it out like i would normally do if i were writing something.

Last edited:
Sorry! said:
Sorry! is fast !

28 words, 0 mistakes :cry:

humanino said:
Sorry! is fast !
it's weird how people type SO SLOOOOOW haha. I just redid the test typing what i would think would be extremely slow and i get 69wpm haha.. how are you guys possibly getting under 50 wpm :P

Sorry! said:
it's weird how people type SO SLOOOOOW haha. I just redid the test typing what i would think would be extremely slow and i get 69wpm haha.. how are you guys possibly getting under 50 wpm :P
I was born without an upper middle part, so I type with my foot. You don't want to know how I read though.

I used to think i typed fast.

humanino said:
Darn, I'm having too much fun. I just lost half an hour. My findings :

- not listening to music increased my rate by something like 5% !
- I'm in the middle 50s, and the fluctuations are definitely less than expected from gaussian statistics (~ 7.5). While my first attempt was 53, I tend to be near 55 now, and I never exceeded 59 not did I perform less than 50.
- I expected the statistics to be worse than gaussian, because I correct myself on the way. It looks like it's a pretty bad idea to delete typos, but I can't help.

While I'm typing if I make a typing mistake i automatically know that i have and just hit the backspace that amount of times to get to where the mistake is... without looking at what im' typing though because then you lose concentration on what the next word is :P

humanino said:
I was born without an upper middle part, so I type with my foot. You don't want to know how I read though.

lol idk if that's truth or not so I'm not sure what my reaction should be. hmmm

Kurdt said:
37 words per minute :cry:
bone up for the next quiz!

Appears to me that I have maxed out at 93wpm. And I don't get under 87 now... It's starting to annoy me actually cause I feel like I can't push my fingers or my mind to work any faster than that.

Sorry! said:
Appears to me that I have maxed out at 93wpm. And I don't get under 87 now... It's starting to annoy me actually cause I feel like I can't push my fingers or my mind to work any faster than that.
Are you a pianist Sorry! ? How did you acquire such a dexterity ?

humanino said:
Are you a pianist Sorry! ? How did you acquire such a dexterity ?

haha :p well i just got 98wmp 2 mistakes. I don't think i can get any faster than that. But in school starting at like grade 3 until grade say 6-7 we had to take typing class. On like all the right type i think. something like that. And then i would always be typing up essays etc. during school. But you i can play the paino as well

I spend 12 hours+ on the PC per day and I'm still rubbish.

Sorry! said:
haha :p well i just got 98wmp 2 mistakes. I don't think i can get any faster than that. But in school starting at like grade 3 until grade say 6-7 we had to take typing class. On like all the right type i think. something like that. And then i would always be typing up essays etc. during school. But you i can play the paino as well
How much for a massage ? My neck needs rubbing after all this typing contest :-p

Sorry! said:

My typing is extremely fast. The delay is to find out where the right key is.

jobyts said:
My typing is extremely fast. The delay is to find out where the right key is.

hahaha

and @humanino
50$ per hour + travel. :)