Test whether the integer is a prime

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an efficient algorithm for checking whether an odd number is prime or not. This algorithm involves testing the congruence $(X+a)^n \equiv X^n + a$ modulo a polynomial $X^r-1$ where $r$ is chosen in a clever way. By calculating modulo $X^r-1$, the computational cost can be kept in the polynomial range as long as $r$ is $O((\log{n})^c)$ for some constant $c$. The conversation also delves into the computational cost for computing $(X+a)^n \pmod{X^r-1}$ using fast exponentiation and the FFT.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

We want to find an efficient algorithm that checks whether an odd number is a prime or not.
In order to obtain such an algorithm, one tests the congruence $(X+a)^n \equiv X^n+a$ not "absolutely" in $\mathbb{Z}_n[X]$, but modulo a polynomial $X^r-1$, where $r$ have to be chosen in a clever way. That is, one compares, in $\mathbb{Z}_n[X]$, the polynomials
$$(X+a)^n \pmod{X^r-1} \text{ and } (X^n+a) \pmod{X^r-1}=X^{n \mod{r}}+a.$$

In the intermediate results that appear in the course of the computation of the power $(X+a)^n$
, all coefficients are reduced modulo $n$, hence they can never exceed $n$. Calculating modulo $X^r-1$ just means that one can replace $X^s$ by $X^{s \mod{r}}$, hence that the degrees of the polynomials that appear as intermediate results can be kept below $r$. This keeps the computational cost in the polynomial range as long as $r$ is $O((\log{n})^c)$ for some constant $c$.

How do we compute the computational cost for computing $(X+a)^n \pmod{X^r-1}$ ? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
This keeps the computational cost in the polynomial range as long as $r$ is $O((\log{n})^c)$ for some constant $c$.

Hey evinda!

What does $r$ is $O((\log{n})^c)$ mean? (Wondering)

evinda said:
How do we compute the computational cost for computing $(X+a)^n \pmod{X^r-1}$ ?

That depends on the algorithm we use doesn't it?

We might for instance set up a recursive algorithm based on squaring.
In that case let $f(n,r)$ be the computational cost of evaluating $(X^{r-1}+b_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + b_0)^{n} \pmod{X^r-1, n}$.
Then:
$$f(2k,r)=f(k,r)+\text{ cost to evaluate }(X^{r-1}+b_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + b_0)^2$$
and:
$$f(2k+1,r)=f(2k,r)+\text{ cost to evaluate }(X^{r-1}+c_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + c_0)(X^{r-1}+b_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + b_0)$$

Can we find the worst case computational cost for computing $(X+a)^n \pmod{X^r-1,n}$ from that? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda!

What does $r$ is $O((\log{n})^c)$ mean? (Wondering)

I assume that we will find the computational cost in respect to $r$ and then we will deduce that the computational cost is polynomial only if $r=O((\log{n})^c)$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
That depends on the algorithm we use doesn't it?

We use fast exponentiation in the ring $\mathbb{Z}_n[X]$.

I like Serena said:
We might for instance set up a recursive algorithm based on squaring.
In that case let $f(n,r)$ be the computational cost of evaluating $(X^{r-1}+b_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + b_0)^{n} \pmod{X^r-1, n}$.

So, $f(n,r)$ will be the computational cost of evaluating any monic polynomial of degree $r-1$ ?

I like Serena said:
Then:
$$f(2k,r)=f(k,r)+\text{ cost to evaluate }(X^{r-1}+b_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + b_0)^2$$
and:
$$f(2k+1,r)=f(2k,r)+\text{ cost to evaluate }(X^{r-1}+c_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + c_0)(X^{r-1}+b_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + b_0)$$

I see...

I like Serena said:
Can we find the worst case computational cost for computing $(X+a)^n \pmod{X^r-1,n}$ from that? (Wondering)

Do we multiply two polynomials of some degree $d$ using the FFT, the time complexity of which is $O(d \log{d})$ ?

If so, will we have a recursive relation of the following form? (Thinking)

$f(n,n)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
f\left(\frac{n}{2},n \right )+O\left(\frac{n}{2}\log{\left(\frac{n}{2} \right )} \right ), & n \text{ even} \\
f\left(\frac{n-1}{2},n \right )+O\left(\frac{n-1}{2}\log{\left(\frac{n-1}{2} \right )} \right )+\dots, & n \text{ odd}
\end{matrix}\right.$For the case when $n$ is odd, how do we multiply a polynomial of degree $n-1$ with a polynomial of degree $1$ ? Do we use again the FFT?

evinda said:
I assume that we will find the computational cost in respect to $r$ and then we will deduce that the computational cost is polynomial only if $r=O((\log{n})^c)$.

Isn't $r$ supposed to be a constant?

evinda said:
So, $f(n,r)$ will be the computational cost of evaluating any monic polynomial of degree $r-1$ ?

Yep. (Nod)

evinda said:
Do we multiply two polynomials of some degree $d$ using the FFT, the time complexity of which is $O(d \log{d})$ ?

I guess we can. (Mmm)

evinda said:
If so, will we have a recursive relation of the following form?

$f(n,n)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
f\left(\frac{n}{2},n \right )+O\left(\frac{n}{2}\log{\left(\frac{n}{2} \right )} \right ), & n \text{ even} \\
f\left(\frac{n-1}{2},n \right )+O\left(\frac{n-1}{2}\log{\left(\frac{n-1}{2} \right )} \right )+\dots, & n \text{ odd}
\end{matrix}\right.$

Shouldn't that be:
$$f(n,r)=\begin{cases}
f\left(\frac{n}{2},r \right )+O\left(r\log{r} \right ), & n \text{ even} \\
f\left(n-1,r \right )+O\left(r\log{r} \right ), & n \text{ odd}
\end{cases}$$
(Wondering)

evinda said:
For the case when $n$ is odd, how do we multiply a polynomial of degree $n-1$ with a polynomial of degree $1$ ? Do we use again the FFT?

We don't.
First we evaluate the left hand polynomial completely, yielding a polynomial of degree $r-1$.
And then we multiply by the right hand polynomial of degree $r-1$.
We can indeed use the FFT for that. (Happy)

I like Serena said:
Isn't $r$ supposed to be a constant?

Yes, it just says at the beginning that $r$ will have to be chosen in a clever way. So they mean that we have to pick an $r$ in the order $O((\log{n})^c)$, or not? (Thinking)
I like Serena said:
Shouldn't that be:
$$f(n,r)=\begin{cases}
f\left(n-1,r \right )+O\left(r\log{r} \right ), & n \text{ odd}
\end{cases}$$
(Wondering)We don't.
First we evaluate the left hand polynomial completely, yielding a polynomial of degree $r-1$.
And then we multiply by the right hand polynomial of degree $r-1$.
We can indeed use the FFT for that. (Happy)

Isn't it as follows?

$(X+a)^{2k+1} \mod{(X^r-1)}=((X+a)^k)^2 \cdot (X+a) \mod{(X^r-1)}$

So don't we multiply a polynomial of maximum degree $r-1$ by a polynomial of degree $1$?
Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Yes, it just says at the beginning that $r$ will have to be chosen in a clever way. So they mean that we have to pick an $r$ in the order $O((\log{n})^c)$, or not?

I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I was hoping you could clarify. (Worried)
evinda said:
Isn't it as follows?

$(X+a)^{2k+1} \mod{(X^r-1)}=((X+a)^k)^2 \cdot (X+a) \mod{(X^r-1)}$

So don't we multiply a polynomial of maximum degree $r-1$ by a polynomial of degree $1$?
Or am I wrong?

Oh yes, the right side polynomial is always $(X+a)$. (Mmm)
That means we can calculate it directly:
$$(X^{r-1}+b_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + b_0)(X+a) \\
= X^r + (b_{r-2}+a)X^{r-1} + (b_{r-3}+a)X^{r-2} + ... +(b_1+a)X+b_0a \\
= (b_{r-2}+a)X^{r-1} + (b_{r-3}+a)X^{r-2} + ... +(b_1+a)X+(b_0a + 1)
$$
It takes $r$ additions, so it's $O(r)$.

It doesn't really matter though. We might as well use the same FFT for $O(r\log r)$.
That's because $O(r\log r + r)=O(r\log r)$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I was hoping you could clarify. (Worried)

It says the following:

View attachment 7582

(Thinking) But as they write it, they mean that the computational cost is polynomial only if $r$ is $O((\log{n})^c)$. I don't know why they say it like that. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Oh yes, the right side polynomial is always $(X+a)$. (Mmm)
That means we can calculate it directly:
$$(X^{r-1}+b_{r-2}X^{r-2} + ... + b_0)(X+a) \\
= X^r + (b_{r-2}+a)X^{r-1} + (b_{r-3}+a)X^{r-2} + ... +(b_1+a)X+b_0a \\
= (b_{r-2}+a)X^{r-1} + (b_{r-3}+a)X^{r-2} + ... +(b_1+a)X+(b_0a + 1)
$$
It takes $r$ additions, so it's $O(r)$.

It doesn't really matter though. We might as well use the same FFT for $O(r\log r)$.
That's because $O(r\log r + r)=O(r\log r)$. (Thinking)

So don't we have the following?

$$f(n,r)=\begin{cases}
f\left(n-1,r \right )+O(r), & n \text{ odd}
\end{cases}$$

Also, I was wondering if it is not possible that the polynomial that we get has degree $<r-1$... (Thinking)

In addition, we also need an initial condition in order to be able to solve the recurrence relation, don't we?
Do we check the computational cost when $n=r$, in order to find an initial condition? Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Attachments

• abr.JPG
    abr.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 85
evinda said:
It says the following:

But as they write it, they mean that the computational cost is polynomial only if $r$ is $O((\log{n})^c)$. I don't know why they say it like that.

It actually says 'if $r$ is of size $O((\log{n})^c)$'.
So I believe they're not talking about computational complexity but just about which constant value of $r$ to pick.
In particular that affects that number of different values of $a$ that we have to check.

Anyway, we're currently only talking about the computational complexity for a single value of $a$. (Thinking)

evinda said:
So don't we have the following?

$$f(n,r)=\begin{cases}
f\left(n-1,r \right )+O(r), & n \text{ odd}
\end{cases}$$

Also, I was wondering if it is not possible that the polynomial that we get has degree $<r-1$...
Yep.

A degree $<r-1$ can happen in some of the iterations, but not generally.
And it does not matter for the worst case computational complexity.

evinda said:
In addition, we also need an initial condition in order to be able to solve the recurrence relation, don't we?
Do we check the computational cost when $n=r$, in order to find an initial condition? Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Indeed, we need an initial condition.
As the algorithm is now, we can only stop when $n=1$ can't we? (Wondering)
Otherwise we don't actually have the polynomial yet.
And then there is nothing to do, so the computational complexity is $0$.

I like Serena said:
It actually says 'if $r$ is of size $O((\log{n})^c)$'.
So I believe they're not talking about computational complexity but just about which constant value of $r$ to pick.
In particular that affects that number of different values of $a$ that we have to check.

So the computational cost will be polynomial, no matter what $r$ we will pick, right?

It doesn't say how $r$ affects the number of different values of $a$ that we have to check, does it?
I like Serena said:
A degree $<r-1$ can happen in some of the iterations, but not generally.
And it does not matter for the worst case computational complexity.

A ok.
I like Serena said:
Indeed, we need an initial condition.
As the algorithm is now, we can only stop when $n=1$ can't we? (Wondering)
Otherwise we don't actually have the polynomial yet.
And then there is nothing to do, so the computational complexity is $0$.

Ah yes, I see... So we have the following recurrence relation, right?$$f(n,r)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
0, & n=1\\
f\left(\frac{n}{2},r \right )+O(r \log{r}) &, n \text{ even } \\
f(n-1,r)+O(r), & n \text{ odd}>1.
\end{matrix}\right.$$

How can we solve the recurrence relation, now that $f$ is a function of two variables? Do we maybe replace $r$ by $O((\log{n})^c)$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So the computational cost will be polynomial, no matter what $r$ we will pick, right?

It doesn't say how $r$ affects the number of different values of $a$ that we have to check, does it?

I still don't quite get what is intended.
And as far as I can tell the cost will be polynomial whatever we do. (Worried)
evinda said:
Ah yes, I see... So we have the following recurrence relation, right?

$$f(n,r)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
0, & n=1\\
f\left(\frac{n}{2},r \right )+O(r \log{r}) &, n \text{ even } \\
f(n-1,r)+O(r), & n \text{ odd}>1.
\end{matrix}\right.$$

How can we solve the recurrence relation, now that $f$ is a function of two variables? Do we maybe replace $r$ by $O((\log{n})^c)$ ? (Thinking)

Yep.

We can simplify it:
$$\begin{aligned}f(n,r)&=\begin{cases}
0, & n=1\\
f\left(\frac{n}{2},r \right )+O(r \log{r}), & n \text{ even } \\
f(n-1,r)+O(r), & n \text{ odd}>1
\end{cases} \\
&=\begin{cases}
0, & n=1\\
f(\frac{n-1}2,r)+O(r) + O(r\log r), & n \text{ odd}>1
\end{cases} \\
&=\begin{cases}
0, & n=1\\
f\left(\lfloor\frac{n}{2}\rfloor,r \right )+O(r \log{r}), & n >1
\end{cases} \\
&= O(\log n \cdot r \log r)
\end{aligned}$$

Now we can substitute $r=O((\log n)^c)$ if we want. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yep.

We can simplify it:
$$\begin{aligned}f(n,r)&=\begin{cases}
0, & n=1\\
f(n-1,r)+O(r), & n \text{ odd}>1
\end{cases} \\
&=\begin{cases}
0, & n=1\\
f(\frac{n-1}2,r)+O(r) + O(r\log r), & n \text{ odd}>1
\end{cases} \\
&=\begin{cases}
0, & n=1\\
f\left(\lfloor\frac{n}{2}\rfloor,r \right )+O(r \log{r}), & n >1
\end{cases} \\
&= O(\log n \cdot r \log r)
\end{aligned}$$

Now we can substitute $r=O((\log n)^c)$ if we want. (Thinking)

We have $f(n,r)=f\left( \lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor,r\right)+O(r \log{r})=f\left( \lfloor\frac{n}{4}\rfloor,r\right)+O(2r \log{r})= \dots= f\left( \lfloor \frac{n}{2^i}\rfloor,r\right)+O( i r \log{r})$.

We stop when $\lfloor\frac{n}{2^i}\rfloor=1$. This holds for $i=O(\log{n})$.

So we deduce that $f(n,r)=O(\log{n} r \log{r})$, right?

So we can get that $f(n,r)=O((\log{n})^{c+1} \log{(\log{n})^c})$, right?

evinda said:
We have $f(n,r)=f\left( \lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor,r\right)+O(r \log{r})=f\left( \lfloor\frac{n}{4}\rfloor,r\right)+O(2r \log{r})= \dots= f\left( \lfloor \frac{n}{2^i}\rfloor,r\right)+O( i r \log{r})$.

We stop when $\lfloor\frac{n}{2^i}\rfloor=1$. This holds for $i=O(\log{n})$.

So we deduce that $f(n,r)=O(\log{n} r \log{r})$, right?

So we can get that $f(n,r)=O((\log{n})^{c+1} \log{(\log{n})^c})$, right?

Yep.

Furthermore $(\log{n})^{c+1} \log{(\log{n})^c} = O((\log n)^{c+2}) = O((\log n)^{c'})$.
And this is less than linear, which is $O(n)$.

Perhaps we need $r$ of size $O((\log n)^c)$ to achieve less than linear computational complexity instead of polynomial? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Yep.

Furthermore $(\log{n})^{c+1} \log{(\log{n})^c} = O((\log n)^{c+2}) = O((\log n)^{c'})$.
And this is less than linear, which is $O(n)$.

Perhaps we need $r$ of size $O((\log n)^c)$ to achieve less than linear computational complexity instead of polynomial? (Wondering)

If $r$ is not in $O((\log{n})^c)$ for some constant $c$, then the computational cost cannot be polynomial as for $n$, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
If $r$ is not in $O((\log{n})^c)$ for some constant $c$, then the computational cost cannot be polynomial as for $n$, right? (Thinking)

Suppose $r$ is of size $O(n)$, then $f(n,r)=O(n\log^2 n)$, so that $f(n,r)=O(n^2)$, which is polynomial, but not linear. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Suppose $r$ is of size $O(n)$, then $f(n,r)=O(n\log^2 n)$, so that $f(n,r)=O(n^2)$, which is polynomial, but not linear. (Nerd)

Ah right. The fact that $r=O((\log{n})^c)$ is necessary so that the computational cost is polynomial as for the length of $n$, that is $O(\log{n})$, or not? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ah right. The fact that $r=O((\log{n})^c)$ is necessary so that the computational cost is polynomial as for the length of $n$, that is $O(\log{n})$, or not? (Thinking)

What is the length of $n$?

Is it the number of digits or some such?
If so then I think that's it. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
What is the length of $n$?

Is it the number of digits or some such?
If so then I think that's it. (Mmm)

Yes, I meant the number of digits of $n$. (Nod)

Using the idea described above, we get the following algorithm:

View attachment 7583

Could you explain to me what the following if-loop checks?

Code:
if (r is a prime number) then
    if (n^i mod r != 1 for all i, 1 <= i <= 4 ceil(logn)^2 ) then
       break;

Attachments

• det.JPG
    det.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 69
evinda said:
Could you explain to me what the following if-loop checks?

Code:
if (r is a prime number) then
    if (n^i mod r != 1 for all i, 1 <= i <= 4 ceil(logn)^2 ) then
       break;

From the context I deduce it's a heuristic criterion that indicates we have found a suitable $r$.
I can't say why it would be suitable though.

Still, we can say a little more about it.
Suppose $n^i \bmod r = 1$, what does that mean?
Isn't there a proposition that looks like that? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
From the context I deduce it's a heuristic criterion that indicates we have found a suitable $r$.
I can't say why it would be suitable though.

Still, we can say a little more about it.
Suppose $n^i \bmod r = 1$, what does that mean?
Isn't there a proposition that looks like that? (Wondering)

Ah, then we have that $r \mid n^i-1$ and so $r$ cannot divide $n$. Right?

So if $r$ is a prime number and $r \nmid n^i-1$ then it is possible that $r$ is a prime divisor of $n$, so in this case we make the further test if $(X+a)^n \mod{(X^r-1)} \neq X^{n \mod{r}}+a$ for some $a$, right?

evinda said:
Ah, then we have that $r \mid n^i-1$ and so $r$ cannot divide $n$. Right?

So if $r$ is a prime number and $r \nmid n^i-1$ then it is possible that $r$ is a prime divisor of $n$, so in this case we make the further test if $(X+a)^n \mod{(X^r-1)} \neq X^{n \mod{r}}+a$ for some $a$, right?

Actually, we already had that $r$ does not divide $n$, which would have caused the algorithm to terminate (line 4).

But don't we have that $n^d \bmod r = 1$ if $d$ is the order of $n$ with respect to $r$?
And also that $n^{\phi(r)} \bmod r = 1$ if $n$ and $r$ are co-prime? (Wondering)

More specifically, $n^i\bmod r=1$ means that $(n,r)=1$ and $\#n \mid i$.

I like Serena said:
Actually, we already had that $r$ does not divide $n$, which would have caused the algorithm to terminate (line 4).

Oh yes, right...

I like Serena said:
But don't we have that $n^d \bmod r = 1$ if $d$ is the order of $n$ with respect to $r$?

And also that $n^{\phi(r)} \bmod r = 1$ if $n$ and $r$ are co-prime? (Wondering)

Yes... (Nod)

I like Serena said:
More specifically, $n^i\bmod r=1$ means that $(n,r)=1$ and $\#n \mid i$.

With #n you mean the order of $n$, right ?

So according to the algorithm, if $n$ has an order between $1$ and $4 \lceil 4 \log{n}\rceil^2$ with respect to $r$, we can deduce that $n$ is a prime, otherwise we cannot see whether $n$ is prime or composite. Right? (Thinking)

If so, this fact isn't known in general, is it? (Thinking)

evinda said:
With #n you mean the order of $n$, right ?

So according to the algorithm, if $n$ has an order between $1$ and $4 \lceil 4 \log{n}\rceil^2$ with respect to $r$, we can deduce that $n$ is a prime, otherwise we cannot see whether $n$ is prime or composite. Right? (Thinking)

If so, this fact isn't known in general, is it? (Thinking)

Not quite. (Shake)

So if $n^i \bmod r \ne 1$, that means that $(n,r)\ne 1$ or $\#n \not\mid i$ with respect to $r$.
And yes, $\#n$ is the order of $n$ with respect to $r$.
Since we have already checked all lower values of $r$, and since $r\not\mid n$, it follows that $(n,r)=1$.
Therefore $\#n \not\mid i$ with respect to $r$.
Since this is the case for all $i$ up to $4 \lceil 4 \log{n}\rceil^2$, the order of $n$ with respect to $r$ must be higher than than upper bound, and it also means that $r$ has to be greater than that upper bound.

Anyway, it doesn't tell us whether $n$ is prime or not.
It's just a property of $r$ that we can observe, which apparently makes it suitable. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
So if $n^i \bmod r \ne 1$, that means that $(n,r)\ne 1$ or $\#n \not\mid i$ with respect to $r$.

Why does this hold? $A \Rightarrow B\wedge C $ doesn't imply that $A^c \Rightarrow B^c \lor C^c$, does it? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Since we have already checked all lower values of $r$, and since $r\not\mid n$, it follows that $(n,r)=1$.

You mean when we get to the last possible iteration of the while-loop, right? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Therefore $\#n \not\mid i$ with respect to $r$.
Since this is the case for all $i$ up to $4 \lceil 4 \log{n}\rceil^2$, the order of $n$ with respect to $r$ must be higher than than upper bound, and it also means that $r$ has to be greater than that upper bound.

Why does $r$ have to be greater than the upper bound?

I like Serena said:
Anyway, it doesn't tell us whether $n$ is prime or not.
It's just a property of $r$ that we can observe, which apparently makes it suitable. (Thinking)
Ah the line 9 is executed only if the line 4 is never executed at the while-loop. It doesn't depend on the lines 5-7, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Why does this hold? $A \Rightarrow B\wedge C $ doesn't imply that $A^c \Rightarrow B^c \lor C^c$, does it?

Indeed.
But $A \Leftrightarrow B\land C $ does imply $A^c \Leftrightarrow B^c \lor C^c$. (Nerd)

evinda said:
You mean when we get to the last possible iteration of the while-loop, right?

I mean when the condition is satisfied to break out of the loop.
If that condition is never satisfied, we have $r=n$ after the while-loop and the algorithm ends.

evinda said:
Why does $r$ have to be greater than the upper bound?

Let $N = 4 \lceil 4 \log{n}\rceil^2$.
Then we have $n>N$ with respect to $r$.
Since $r$ is prime, the greatest order $n$ can have, is $r-1$.
Therefore $r>n>N$. (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ah the line 9 is executed only if the line 4 is never executed at the while-loop. It doesn't depend on the lines 5-7, right?

More specifically, the algorithm returns in line 9 if the condition in line 4 was never satisfied, nor the conditions in line 5 and 6. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Indeed.
But $A \Leftrightarrow B\land C $ does imply $A^c \Leftrightarrow B^c \lor C^c$. (Nerd)

A ok. And if $(n,r)=1$ and $\#n \mid i$ then we have that $i=k \cdot \#n$ for some $k \in \mathbb{Z}$ and so it follows that $n^{i} \mod{r}=1$.

I like Serena said:
I mean when the condition is satisfied to break out of the loop.
If that condition is never satisfied, we have $r=n$ after the while-loop and the algorithm ends.

I see...

I like Serena said:
Let $N = 4 \lceil 4 \log{n}\rceil^2$.
Then we have $n>N$ with respect to $r$.
Since $r$ is prime, the greatest order $n$ can have, is $r-1$.
Therefore $r>n>N$. (Thinking)

You mean $N=4 \lceil \log{n}\rceil^2$, right?
Ah, so since the greatest order $n$ can have is $r-1$, and we have checked that the order isn't $\leq N$, it holds that $r-1>N \Rightarrow r>N+1$, right? And since we also have that $r<n$, we get the inequality $N+1<r<n$, right? (Thinking)
I like Serena said:
More specifically, the algorithm returns in line 9 if the condition in line 4 was never satisfied, nor the conditions in line 5 and 6. (Nod)

So, if we find a prime $r<n$ such that $\#n \nmid i, \forall i \in \{1, \dots, 4 \lceil \log{n}\rceil^2 \}$, then we will have found a suitable $r$ to check if $(X+a)^n \mod{(X^r-1)} \neq X^{n \mod{r}}+a$ for some value of $a$. With this value of $r$ and the values of $a$ that we check, we can deduce if $n$ is composite or not. Right?

If we don't find such a prime $r$, then we will have checked that no integer $<n$ divides $n$ and so we will deduce that $n$ is a prime, right?

Yes to all of that. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yes to all of that. (Nod)

Nice. (Smile) I have also some questions about the analysis of the time for the single operations of the algorithm.
About the time for the perfect power test: In my notes, there is mentioned an algorithm which needs no more than $O((\log{n})^2 \log{\log{n}})$ arithmetic operations so that the test in line 1 of the algorithm is carried out.

And I read at an other site the following idea for the perfect power test:

Given a number $n$, if at all it can be written as $a^b$ ($b > 1$), then $b< \log{n}+1$. And for every fixed $b$, checking if there exists an $a$ with $a^b=n$ can be done using binary search.

The logarithm is to base $2$, right? How do we get that $b< \log_2{n}+1$ ? (Thinking)

We will have the greatest b when a is smallest.
What is the smallest a? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
We will have the greatest b when a is smallest.
What is the smallest a? (Wondering)

$2$ ? Then don't we have the following ?

$$n=a^b \geq 2^b \Rightarrow b \leq \log_2{n}$$Can we also find a bound for $a$? Or is it between $1$ and $n$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
$2$ ? Then don't we have the following ?

$$n=a^b \geq 2^b \Rightarrow b \leq \log_2{n}$$

Can we also find a bound for $a$? Or is it between $1$ and $n$?

Yep. (Nod)

We could calculate $a$ directly with $a=\sqrtn$.
Or we could calculate the upper bound for $a$ by using the smallest value of $b$ giving us $\sqrt n$.
But those are difficult to calculate with an integer algorithm.
So instead we should probably pick $n$ as upper bound so that we need $\log_2 n$ bisections. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

We could calculate $a$ directly with $a=\sqrtn$.
Or we could calculate the upper bound for $a$ by using the smallest value of $b$ giving us $\sqrt n$.
But those are difficult to calculate with an integer algorithm.
So instead we should probably pick $n$ as upper bound so that we need $\log_2 n$ bisections. (Thinking)

I have thought of the following algorithm:

Code:
Algorithm:
k=-1;
b=2;
while ((b<=logn) and (k=-1)){
         k=binarysearch(b,n);
         b=b+1;
}
if (k!=-1) printf("n=%d^%d",k,b);

Code:
int binarysearch(int b, int n){
 int low=2;
 int high=n;
 while (low<high){
          int mid=low+floor((high-low)/2);
          if (mid^b==n) return mid;
          else if (mid^b<n) low=mid+1;
          else high=mid-1;
 }
 return -1;
}
Is the algorithm I have written right? But don't we need for the exponentiation time $O((\log{n})^3)$ ?
So will the number of arithmetic operations be greater as desired? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Is the algorithm I have written right? But don't we need for the exponentiation time $O((\log{n})^3)$ ?
So will the number of arithmetic operations be greater as desired? (Thinking)

It looks correct.
Can't we improve it by starting the next iteration with a new upper bound from the previous iteration? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Can't we improve it by starting the next iteration with a new upper bound from the previous iteration? (Wondering)

You mean a new upper bound for $b$ ? How can we find it? (Thinking)

evinda said:
You mean a new upper bound for $b$ ? How can we find it? (Thinking)

No, a new upper bound for $k$ for the next $b$. (Shake)
Suppose we found that for a certain $b$ we have $k^b<n$ and $(k+1)^b>n$.
Let the next $b$ be $b'=b+1$.
Now we want to see if we can find a corresponding $k'$ such that $n=(k')^{b'}$.
Don't we have that $k' \le k$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
No, a new upper bound for $k$ for the next $b$. (Shake)
Suppose we found that for a certain $b$ we have $k^b<n$ and $(k+1)^b>n$.
Let the next $b$ be $b'=b+1$.
Now we want to see if we can find a corresponding $k'$ such that $n=(k')^{b'}$.
Don't we have that $k' \le k$? (Wondering)

Yes, right... (Nod) So does the function binarysearch have to return the value mid for which $mid^b<n$ and $(mid+1)^b>n$ , besides the -1, that indicates that we haven't found a $k$ such that $k^b=n$? So do we have to use pointers at this function?
Or could we do this somehow else? (Thinking)