Product of integers that are relatively prime to m

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of inverses in a multiplicative group and finding patterns for when the product of a set of integers is equal to either 1 or -1 mod m. There was also a discussion about finding unique and distinct inverses for each element in the set, and examples were given for when this is the case. The conversation also touched on finding the product of the set by pairing each number with its inverse.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)Let $b_1< b_2< \dots< b_{\phi(m)}$ be the integers between $1$ and $m$ that are relatively prime to $m$ (including 1), and let $B=b_1 b_2 b_3 \cdots b_{\phi(m)}$ be their product.
I want to show that either $B \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$ or $B \equiv -1 \pmod{m}$ .
Also I want to find a pattern for when $B$ is equal to $+1 \pmod{m}$ and when it is equal to $-1 \pmod{m}$.I have thought the following:

We have that $(b_i, m)=1, \forall i=1, \dots, \phi(m)$.
So there are $x_i, y_i \in \mathbb{Z}$ such that $x_i b_i+ y_i m=1$.

Then we have that $x_1 \cdot x_2 \cdots x_{\phi(m)} \cdot b_1 \cdot b_2 \cdots b_{\phi(m)} \equiv 1 \pmod{m} \Rightarrow x_1 \cdot x_2 \cdots x_{\phi(m)} \cdot B \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$.

So we need to show that $x_1 \cdot x_2 \cdots x_{\phi(m)} \equiv \pm 1 \pmod{m}$. How can we show this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)Let $b_1< b_2< \dots< b_{\phi(m)}$ be the integers between $1$ and $m$ that are relatively prime to $m$ (including 1), and let $B=b_1 b_2 b_3 \cdots b_{\phi(m)}$ be their product.
I want to show that either $B \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$ or $B \equiv -1 \pmod{m}$ .
Also I want to find a pattern for when $B$ is equal to $+1 \pmod{m}$ and when it is equal to $-1 \pmod{m}$.I have thought the following:

We have that $(b_i, m)=1, \forall i=1, \dots, \phi(m)$.
So there are $x_i, y_i \in \mathbb{Z}$ such that $x_i b_i+ y_i m=1$.

Then we have that $x_1 \cdot x_2 \cdots x_{\phi(m)} \cdot b_1 \cdot b_2 \cdots b_{\phi(m)} \equiv 1 \pmod{m} \Rightarrow x_1 \cdot x_2 \cdots x_{\phi(m)} \cdot B \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$.

So we need to show that $x_1 \cdot x_2 \cdots x_{\phi(m)} \equiv \pm 1 \pmod{m}$. How can we show this?

Hey evinda! (Smile)

Don't these numbers form a multiplicative group?
If so, can we find a unique and different inverse for each of the elements?

I like Serena said:
Don't these numbers form a multiplicative group?

To show this, we set $S:=\{ b_1, b_2, \dots, b_{\phi(m)} \}$.

Since $(1,m)=1$, $1$ is an element of $S$.

Then we pick an arbitrary $b_i$ , where $i \in \{1,2, \dots, \phi(m) \}$ and we want to find its inverse.

Since $(b_i,m)=1$ we have that there is some $x_i \in \mathbb{Z}$ such that $x_i b_i \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$ for some $x_i \in \mathbb{Z}$.

So now we want to show that $x_i$ is relatively prime to $m$.

This is implied from the fact that all the numbers that have an inverse are relatively prime to $m$.

So $x_i$ will be equal to one of the $b_1, b_2, \dots, b_{\phi(m)}$.

Is this right?

I like Serena said:
If so, can we find a unique and different inverse for each of the elements?

In order to show this, we suppose that $x_i b_i \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$ and $x_i b_j \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$.

So $(x_i b_i-x_i b_j) \equiv 0 \pmod{m} \Rightarrow m \mid x_i (b_i-b_j)$.

Since $(m,x_i)=1$ , it must hold that $b_i-b_j \equiv 0 \pmod{m}$, i.e. $b_i \equiv b_j \pmod{m}$.

Since $1 \leq b_i, b_j \leq m$, it follows that $b_i=b_j$.

So each element of the set $S$ has a different inverse.

Am I right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So now we want to show that $x_i$ is relatively prime to $m$.

This is implied from the fact that all the numbers that have an inverse are relatively prime to $m$.

How so?

Btw, don't we have that $b_i^{\phi(m)}\equiv 1 \pmod m$?
Can we deduce what the inverse is from that?
evinda said:
In order to show this, we suppose that $x_i b_i \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$ and $x_i b_j \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$.

So $(x_i b_i-x_i b_j) \equiv 0 \pmod{m} \Rightarrow m \mid x_i (b_i-b_j)$.

Since $(m,x_i)=1$ , it must hold that $b_i-b_j \equiv 0 \pmod{m}$, i.e. $b_i \equiv b_j \pmod{m}$.

Since $1 \leq b_i, b_j \leq m$, it follows that $b_i=b_j$.

So each element of the set $S$ has a different inverse.

Am I right? (Thinking)

Let's pick a couple of examples.
How about $m=8$ and $m=10$?
Which numbers do we have? And what are the respective inverses? Are they distinct? (Wondering)
And while we're at it, what is the product?

I like Serena said:
How so?

Btw, don't we have that $b_i^{\phi(m)}\equiv 1 \pmod m$?
Can we deduce what the inverse is from that?

From the fact that $b_i^{\phi(m)}\equiv 1 \pmod m$, we have that $b_i \cdot b_i^{\phi(m)-1} \equiv 1 \pmod m$.
So the inverse of $b_i$ $\pmod{m}$ is $b_i^{\phi(m)-1}$.
Right?

I like Serena said:
Let's pick a couple of examples.
How about $m=8$ and $m=10$?
Which numbers do we have? And what are the respective inverses? Are they distinct? (Wondering)
And while we're at it, what is the product?
For $m=8$, we have the numbers $1,3,5,7$. Their inverses are respectively $1,3,5,7$.
For $m=10$, we have the numbers $1,3,7,9$. Their inverses are respectively $1,7,3,9$.

We see that the inverses are distinct.

We see that $1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot 7 \equiv 1 \pmod{8}$ and $1 \cdot 3 \cdot 7 \cdot 9 \equiv -1 \pmod{10}$.

evinda said:
From the fact that $b_i^{\phi(m)}\equiv 1 \pmod m$, we have that $b_i \cdot b_i^{\phi(m)-1} \equiv 1 \pmod m$.
So the inverse of $b_i$ $\pmod{m}$ is $b_i^{\phi(m)-1}$.
Right?

Right.
evinda said:
For $m=8$, we have the numbers $1,3,5,7$. Their inverses are respectively $1,3,5,7$.
For $m=10$, we have the numbers $1,3,7,9$. Their inverses are respectively $1,7,3,9$.

We see that the inverses are distinct.

We see that $1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot 7 \equiv 1 \pmod{8}$ and $1 \cdot 3 \cdot 7 \cdot 9 \equiv -1 \pmod{10}$.

With $m=8$ we have that $3^{-1}\equiv 3 \pmod 8$.
What I meant is that $3^{-1}=3$ is not distinct from $3$.
Otherwise we can find the product by pairing each number with its inverse.
What would the product be then? (Wondering)

However, we can't do that when the inverse is the same number as the original number. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
With $m=8$ we have that $3^{-1}\equiv 3 \pmod 8$.
What I meant is that $3^{-1}=3$ is not distinct from $3$.

(Nod)

I like Serena said:

Which product do you mean?

evinda said:
Which product do you mean?

The product defined as B in the problem statement. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:

The product will be equal to $1$ in such a case.

I like Serena said:
However, we can't do that when the inverse is the same number as the original number. (Thinking)

Yes. What can we do in this case? (Thinking)

evinda said:
The product will be equal to $1$ in such a case.

Indeed.

evinda said:
Yes. What can we do in this case?

Suppose we have a $b_i$ such that it is its own inverse.
That is, $b_i^2 = 1 \pmod m$.
Can we pair it with another number that is also its own inverse?
How does that work out in the examples? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Suppose we have a $b_i$ such that it is its own inverse.
That is, $b_i^2 = 1 \pmod m$.
Can we pair it with another number that is also its own inverse?
How does that work out in the examples? (Thinking)

You mean that if $b_j^2 \equiv 1 \pmod m, i \neq j$, to find the product $b_i \cdot b_j \pmod{m}$ ?

evinda said:
You mean that if $b_j^2 \equiv 1 \pmod m, i \neq j$, to find the product $b_i \cdot b_j \pmod{m}$ ?

Yes.
And perhaps we can be a bit 'smart' about selecting $j$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yes.
And perhaps we can be a bit 'smart' about selecting $j$. (Thinking)

For $m=8$ the product will be $1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot 7 \equiv 1 \pmod{8}$ and for $m=10$ it will be $1 \cdot 9 \pmod{10} \equiv -1 \pmod{10}$.

So we don't take all the numbers of which the inverses are the numbers itselves? How can we choose $j$ ?

evinda said:
For $m=8$ the product will be $1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot 7 \equiv 1 \pmod{8}$ and for $m=10$ it will be $1 \cdot 9 \pmod{10} \equiv -1 \pmod{10}$.

So we don't take all the numbers of which the inverses are the numbers itselves? How can we choose $j$ ?

For $m=10$, we have $1\cdot 3\cdot 7\cdot 9 \equiv (3 \cdot 3^{-1}) \cdot (1\cdot -1) \equiv 1 \cdot -1 \equiv -1$.
And for $m=8$, we have $1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7 \equiv (1 \cdot -1) \cdot (3 \cdot -3) \equiv -1 \cdot -1 \equiv 1$.
Is there a pattern that we can exploit? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
For $m=10$, we have $1\cdot 3\cdot 7\cdot 9 \equiv (3 \cdot 3^{-1}) \cdot (1\cdot -1) \equiv 1 \cdot -1 \equiv -1$.
And for $m=8$, we have $1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7 \equiv (1 \cdot -1) \cdot (3 \cdot -3) \equiv -1 \cdot -1 \equiv 1$.
Is there a pattern that we can exploit? (Wondering)

We have the following:

$m=8=4\cdot 2$ :

$1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7 \equiv 1\cdot 3\cdot (-3)\cdot (-1) \equiv (-1^2)\cdot (-3^2)\equiv (-1) \cdot (-1) \equiv 1$ $m=10=2\cdot 5$ :

$1\cdot 3\cdot 7\cdot 9 \equiv 1\cdot 3\cdot 3^{-1}\cdot(-1) \equiv -1^2\cdot (3\cdot 3^{-1}) \equiv (-1) \cdot 1 \equiv -1$

$m=12=4\cdot 3$ :

$1\cdot 5\cdot 7\cdot 11 \equiv 1\cdot 5\cdot (-5)\cdot (-1) \equiv (-1) \cdot (-1) \equiv 1$

$m=14=2\cdot 7$ :

$1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 9\cdot 11\cdot 13 \equiv 1\cdot 3\cdot 3^{-1}\cdot 9\cdot 9^{-1}\cdot (-1) \equiv (-1^2)\cdot (3\cdot 3^{-1})\cdot (9\cdot 9^{-1})\equiv (-1)\cdot 1\cdot 1\equiv -1 $

$m=16=4\cdot 4$ :

$1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7\cdot 9\cdot 11\cdot 13\cdot 15 \equiv 1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7\cdot (-7)\cdot 3^{-1}\cdot 5^{-1}\cdot (-1) \equiv (-1^2) \cdot (3\cdot 3^{-1})\cdot (5\cdot 5^{-1})\cdot (7\cdot (-7))\equiv (-1)\cdot 1\cdot 1\cdot (-1)\equiv 1$ Does it hold in the general case that when $m$ is a multiple of $4$ the result is $1$ and when $m$ is a multiple of $2$ but not of $4$ the result is $-1$?

evinda said:
Does it hold in the general case that when $m$ is a multiple of $4$ the result is $1$ and when $m$ is a multiple of $2$ but not of $4$ the result is $-1$?

Let's check.
For $m=4$ we have $1\cdot 3\equiv 1 \cdot -1 \equiv -1$.
No, I don't think it holds. (Worried)Still, isn't there a pattern that we can either pair a number with its multiplicative inverse, or we can pair it with its additive inverse?
Is that always possible?
And can we always tell what the product will be of such a pair? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Let's check.
For $m=4$ we have $1\cdot 3\equiv 1 \cdot -1 \equiv -1$.
No, I don't think it holds. (Worried)

I see... (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Still, isn't there a pattern that we can either pair a number with its multiplicative inverse, or we can pair it with its additive inverse?
Is that always possible?
And can we always tell what the product will be of such a pair? (Wondering)

I can't think of a pattern... (Sweating) Could you give me a hint?

evinda said:
I can't think of a pattern... (Sweating) Could you give me a hint?

First things first, can we conclude that the product B will always be either +1 or -1?
That was after all the first question in the OP.
Can we prove it? (Wondering)

I have thought the following:We want to examine the product $B=b_1 b_2 \cdots b_{\phi(m)}$.

If $\exists j \in \{2, \ldots , \phi(m)-1\}$ such that $b_j^{-1}\not\equiv b_j\mod m$ then at the product $b_2\cdot \ldots \cdot b_{\phi(m)-1}$ there is a pair such that their product is equal to $1$.

Let $b_k$ be the modular inverse of $b_j$, i.e., $b_j^{-1}\equiv b_k\mod m$.

We get that \begin{align*}b_2\cdot b_3 \cdot \ldots \cdot b_j\cdot \ldots b_k\cdot \ldots \cdot b_{\phi(m)-1}&\equiv b_2\cdot b_3 \cdot \ldots \cdot b_j\cdot \ldots b_j^{-1}\cdot \ldots \cdot b_{\phi(m)-1} \\ & \equiv b_2\cdot b_3 \cdot \ldots \cdot (b_j\cdot b_j^{-1})\cdot \ldots \cdot b_{\phi(m)-1} \\ & \equiv b_2\cdot b_3 \cdot \ldots \cdot 1\cdot \ldots \cdot b_{\phi(m)-1}\end{align*}

If $\exists r\in \{2, \ldots , \phi(m)-1\}$ such that $b_r^{-1}\equiv b_r\mod m$ then we have that $b_r^2\equiv 1\mod m$.

In this case we cannot find two different factors of the product, $b_i$ and $b_r$ with $i\neq r$, such that their product is equal to $1$.

We define $n:=m-b_r$ and we get $n\equiv -b_r\mod m$.

It holds that $(n,m)=(-b_r,m)=(b_r,m)=1$, i.e., $n$ and $m$ are comprime, so $n$ is one of the $b_i$'s with $i\neq r$, i.e., $n:=b_i$.

So, we get that

\begin{align*}b_2\cdot b_3 \cdot \ldots \cdot b_r\cdot \ldots b_i\cdot \ldots \cdot b_{\phi(m)-1}&\equiv b_2\cdot b_3 \cdot \ldots \cdot b_r\cdot \ldots (-b_r)\cdot \ldots \cdot b_{\phi(m)-1} \\ & \equiv b_2\cdot b_3 \cdot \ldots \cdot (-b_r^2)\cdot \ldots \cdot b_{\phi(m)-1} \\ & \equiv b_2\cdot b_3 \cdot \ldots \cdot (-1)\cdot \ldots \cdot b_{\phi(m)-1}\end{align*}Continuing in the same way , the product $b_2 b_3 \cdots b_{\phi(m)-1}$ will be equal either to $1$ or to $-1$.

So $B=1 \cdot b_2 \cdots b_{\phi(m)-1} (m-1) \equiv -1 \cdot b_2 \cdots b_{\phi(m)-1} \equiv \pm 1 \pmod{m}$.

Am I right?

Erm... this is bit much...
Starting somewhere, what happened to $b_1$ and $b_{\phi(m)}$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Starting somewhere, what happened to $b_1$ and $b_{\phi(m)}$? (Wondering)

$b_1$ is always $1$ and $b_{\phi(m)}$ is always equal to $m-1$.

evinda said:
$b_1$ is always $1$ and $b_{\phi(m)}$ is always equal to $m-1$.

Ah, okay. Perhaps it'd be useful to mention that. (Angel)
In particular it means that whatever $m$ is, 1 and -1 will always be their own inverse, and they will from a pair that are additive inverses.
(Assuming $m>2$.)

Otherwise, it seems your proof is correct. (Happy)

I like Serena said:
Ah, okay. Perhaps it'd be useful to mention that. (Angel)

Yes, I agree... (Nod) (Blush)
I like Serena said:
In particular it means that whatever $m$ is, 1 and -1 will always be their own inverse, and they will from a pair that are additive inverses.
(Assuming $m>2$.)

(Nod)

I like Serena said:
Otherwise, it seems your proof is correct. (Happy)

Nice... Thank you! (Clapping)

Related to Product of integers that are relatively prime to m

What is a product of integers that are relatively prime to m?

A product of integers that are relatively prime to m is the result of multiplying together a set of numbers that do not share any common factors with m (except for 1). In other words, the greatest common divisor (GCD) of the integers and m is equal to 1.

Why is it important to consider the product of integers that are relatively prime to m?

The product of integers that are relatively prime to m is important in number theory and cryptography. It is often used in modular arithmetic and in finding the inverse of a number mod m.

How do you find the product of integers that are relatively prime to m?

To find the product of integers that are relatively prime to m, you first need to determine which numbers are relatively prime to m. This can be done by finding the prime factors of m and then choosing integers that do not have those prime factors. Once you have a set of relatively prime integers, you can simply multiply them together to get the product.

What is the relationship between the product of integers that are relatively prime to m and Euler's totient function?

The product of integers that are relatively prime to m is equal to m times Euler's totient function. This relationship is known as Euler's product formula and is derived from the fact that the totient function counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to m that are relatively prime to m.

Can the product of integers that are relatively prime to m ever be greater than m?

No, the product of integers that are relatively prime to m can never be greater than m. This is because the totient function is always less than or equal to m, and the product of integers that are relatively prime to m is equal to m times the totient function.