Tensor algebra, divergence of cross product

In summary, the conversation discusses the identity ##rot \left ( \vec u \times \vec v \right )=div \left ( \vec u \otimes \vec v - \vec v \otimes \vec u \right )## and the use of indices and the epsilon delta identity in proving it. The conversation also mentions the proper definition of ##\vec u\times\vec v## as ##(\vec u\times\vec v)_k=\varepsilon_{kij}u_jv_k##.
Telemachus
Hi there. I wanted to demonstrate this identity which I found in a book of continuum mechanics:

##curl \left ( \vec u \times \vec v \right )=div \left ( \vec u \otimes \vec v - \vec v \otimes \vec u \right ) ##

I've tried by writting both sides on components, but I don't get the same, I'm probably making some mistake.

##\displaystyle curl \left ( \vec u \times \vec v \right )= \epsilon_{ijk} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}(\epsilon_{kji}u_j v_i)= \epsilon_{ijk} \left [ \epsilon_{kji} \frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_j}v_i +u_j \epsilon_{kji} \frac{\partial v_i}{\partial x_j} \right ] ##

I've used that ##(\vec u \times \vec v )_k=\hat e_k \cdot \epsilon_{ijk} u_j v_k \hat e_i=\delta_{ki} \epsilon_{ijk} u_j v_k=\epsilon_{kji}u_j v_i## I'm not sure if this is right.

Then, using the epsilon delta identity I've got ##rot \left ( \vec u \times \vec v \right )=6 \left [ \frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_j}v_i +u_j \frac{\partial v_i}{\partial x_j} \right ]=6 \left [ (div \vec u) \vec v + (grad \vec v) \vec u \right ]##

Expanding the right hand side of the identity in components:

##div \left ( \vec u \otimes \vec v - \vec v \otimes \vec u \right ) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}(u_i v_j -v_i u_j)=v_j \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j}+ u_i \frac{\partial v_j}{\partial x_j} -u_j \frac{\partial v_i}{\partial x_j}- v_i \frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_j}=(grad \vec u) \vec v+\vec u div \vec v - (grad \vec v) \vec u- \vec v div \vec u##

PD: The title should be curl of cross product instead of divergence. Sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:
Hi there. I wanted to demonstrate this identity which I found in a book of continuum mechanics:

##rot \left ( \vec u \times \vec v \right )=div \left ( \vec u \otimes \vec v - \vec v \otimes \vec u \right ) ##

I've tried by writting both sides on components, but I don't get the same, I'm probably making some mistake.

##\displaystyle rot \left ( \vec u \times \vec v \right )= \epsilon_{ijk} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}(\epsilon_{kji}u_j v_i)= \epsilon_{ijk} \left [ \epsilon_{kji} \frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_j}v_i +u_j \epsilon_{kji} \frac{\partial v_i}{\partial x_j} \right ] ##
You shouldn't have indices that appear more than twice. ##i## appears 3 times; ##j##, 4 times.

Likes 1 person
ups, I see. Thank you vela.

Telemachus said:
I've used that ##(\vec u \times \vec v )_k=\hat e_k \cdot \epsilon_{ijk} u_j v_k \hat e_i=\delta_{ki} \epsilon_{ijk} u_j v_k=\epsilon_{kji}u_j v_i## I'm not sure if this is right.
It is, but I wouldn't do those first two steps. I think of ##(\vec u\times\vec v)_k=\varepsilon_{kij}u_jv_k## as the definition of ##\vec u\times\vec v##, so it would have been my starting point. It makes sense to take this as the definition, since it implies that ##\vec u\times\vec v=(\vec u\times\vec v)_k e_k =\varepsilon_{kij}u_jv_k e_k##.

Likes 1 person

Related to Tensor algebra, divergence of cross product

1. What is tensor algebra?

Tensor algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are geometric objects that describe linear relations between vectors, scalars, and other tensors. It involves operations such as addition, multiplication, and differentiation of tensors.

2. How is the cross product related to tensor algebra?

The cross product is a vector operation that is closely related to tensor algebra. In tensor notation, the cross product can be expressed as the antisymmetric combination of two vectors, which can be represented as a tensor. The divergence of the cross product is another operation that can be defined in the context of tensor algebra.

3. What is the significance of the divergence of the cross product?

The divergence of the cross product is a mathematical operation that can be used to study the behavior of vector fields, such as velocity or force fields. It measures the rate of change of the vector field at a specific point and can be used to analyze the flow or movement of a fluid or other physical systems.

4. How is the divergence of the cross product calculated?

The divergence of the cross product can be calculated using the curl of the cross product. In tensor notation, it can be expressed as the contraction of the curl of the cross product with the metric tensor. In vector calculus, it can be calculated using the dot product of the gradient operator with the cross product.

5. What are some real-world applications of tensor algebra and the divergence of the cross product?

Tensor algebra and the divergence of the cross product have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics to study the behavior of physical systems. They are also used in computer graphics and machine learning for image processing and pattern recognition.