Identity, vector product and gradient

In summary, the conversation discusses a deduction in continuum mechanics using an identity involving the vector product and curl. The questioner is having trouble understanding why the identity holds and how it relates to the assumption that the gradient of the vector field is zero. Through further discussion, it is determined that the null gradient does indeed imply a null curl, leading to the conclusion that the assumption was correct.
Telemachus
Hi there. I was following a deduction on continuum mechanics for the invariant nature of the first two laws of thermodynamics. The thing is that this deduction works with an identity, and there is something I'm missing to get it.

I have the vector product: ##\vec \omega \times grad \theta##, where θ is a scalar field, ω is a vector field, and ##grad \vec \omega=0##

Now, the book uses this identity: ##\vec \omega \times grad \theta=-curl (\theta \vec \omega)##

The thing is that I've tried to demonstrate the identity, but I couldn't, I get an extra term, and I don't see why it should be zero.

I have that ##\displaystyle curl (\theta \vec \omega)_i=\varepsilon_{ijk}\frac{\partial (\theta \omega_k)}{\partial x_j}=\varepsilon_{ijk} \omega_k \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x_j}+\varepsilon_{ijk} \theta \frac{\partial \omega_k}{\partial x_j}\rightarrow \displaystyle curl (\theta \vec \omega)=-\vec \omega \times grad \theta+ \theta curl \vec \omega##

So, to get the identity that the book uses I should have that ##\theta curl \vec \omega=0##, and I don't see why that has to be accomplished.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't the assumption that ##\operatorname{grad} \vec\omega=0## mean that all partial derivatives of all components of ##\vec\omega## are zero? That would make your second term zero.

Likes 2 people
Yes, I think you are right. I wasn't sure about that the null gradient would imply a null curl, but now I think it does.

Actually, if ##\displaystyle grad \vec \omega=0 \Rightarrow \frac{\partial \omega_k}{\partial x_j}=0 \Rightarrow \varepsilon_{ijk}\frac{\partial \omega_k}{\partial x_j}=0=curl \vec \omega##

It was silly :p

Last edited:

Related to Identity, vector product and gradient

1. What is identity in mathematics?

Identity in mathematics refers to a special relationship between a number and itself. For example, the identity property of addition states that any number added to 0 will result in that same number. In other words, the number 0 acts as an identity element for addition.

2. What is a vector product?

A vector product, also known as a cross product, is a mathematical operation that produces a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is calculated by taking the cross product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

3. How is the gradient used in calculus?

The gradient is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of a function. In calculus, it is used to find the maximum and minimum values of a multivariable function. The gradient is also used to calculate the directional derivative, which measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction.

4. What is the relationship between identity and vector product?

There is no direct relationship between identity and vector product. Identity is a property of numbers, while vector product is a mathematical operation. However, the identity property of multiplication is often used in vector algebra to simplify calculations.

5. How can the gradient be visualized?

The gradient can be visualized as a set of arrows pointing in the direction of the steepest increase of a function. The length of the arrows represents the magnitude of the gradient at that point. In two dimensions, the gradient can also be represented as a contour map, where the lines connect points with the same gradient value.