Tension Vector Explanation: Solving Homework Questions with Pictures

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding tension vectors and solving problems related to them. The concept is understood, but the math and finding the necessary information is causing difficulty. The key is to always know the direction of tension, which is along the string. The suggested approach is to assign tensions T1 and T2, and use equations involving components of force or moments to solve the problems. The conversation ends with a request for assistance with specific problems.
Gamegoofs2

Homework Statement

My books doesn't seem to give a good explanation of tension vectors. I was hoping someone on here could explain them better.
001-3.jpg

I put the picture from the book up.

The two questions with pictures are the one's I'm having trouble with.
In case you can't read them:
The one with the red box says,
A 112.1-kg sign is hung from two strings as shown below. What is the tension in each string?
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 35.0 degrees on the string going to the right and [tex]\theta[/tex] = 50.0 degrees

The second question with the fish says,
A fisherman is deisplaying his prize catch by hanging it as illustrated below. The horizontal string in the hanging apparatus is weak and will only be able to stand a tension of 13.0 pounds before it breaks. What is the maximum weight for a fish to hang on this system?

T= 13.0 lbs max [tex]\theta[/tex] = 40.0 degrees

I get think I get the concept it's the math and finding what information I already know that's giving me the trouble.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gamegoofs2! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
Gamegoofs2 said:
I get think I get the concept it's the math and finding what information I already know that's giving me the trouble.

The great thing about tension is that you always know the direction, it has to be along the string.

The general trick is to call the tensions T1 and T2, find two equations, and solve.

The two equations are usually by taking components of force in the x and y directions (or any two other convenient directions). Sometimes you take moments about a convenient point, instead of one of the directions.

If you're still worried, show us how you'd deal with one or both of those problems. :smile:

I can understand your frustration with understanding tension vectors. Tension vectors are a crucial concept in understanding forces and their effects on objects. In simple terms, a tension vector is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled from both ends. It is a reaction force that is exerted by an object on another object that is pulling on it.

In the first question, the tension vector is the force exerted by the strings on the sign. To solve this problem, you need to break down the forces acting on the sign into components along the strings. This is where the angles (\theta) come into play. Using trigonometry, you can calculate the components of the force along each string and then add them together to get the total tension in each string. This will give you the answer to the question.

In the second question, the tension vector is the force exerted by the horizontal string on the fish. In this case, you need to find the maximum weight that the string can support before it breaks. This can be done by setting up an equation where the weight of the fish is equal to the tension in the string, and solving for the maximum weight.

I understand that the math involved in solving these problems can be challenging, but it is important to remember the concept of tension vectors and how they relate to forces and objects. With practice and a solid understanding of trigonometry, you will be able to solve these types of problems with ease. I hope this explanation has helped you in understanding tension vectors better. Keep up the good work!

Related to Tension Vector Explanation: Solving Homework Questions with Pictures

What is a tension vector?

A tension vector is a mathematical representation of the force exerted by a string or cable on an object. It includes both the magnitude and direction of the force.

How is a tension vector used to solve homework questions?

A tension vector is used to calculate the net force on an object in a given system. By using vector addition and subtraction, the tension vector can be combined with other forces to determine the resulting motion or equilibrium of the object.

Why is it important to use pictures when solving homework questions involving tension vectors?

Pictures can help to visualize the problem and make it easier to understand the direction and magnitude of the tension vector. They also provide a visual representation of the forces acting on an object, making it easier to identify and analyze the problem.

How do tension vectors relate to real-life situations?

Tension vectors are commonly used in engineering and physics to solve real-life problems involving structures, such as bridges and buildings. They are also used in sports, such as rock climbing or zip lining, to calculate the tension on ropes and cables.

Can tension vectors be negative?

Yes, tension vectors can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the tension vector when solving problems to ensure accurate calculations.