Tension of two strings/picture frame

In summary, the question asks for the tension in string 2 and the weight of the picture hanging from two strings attached to a ceiling. To solve this, we use the equations for net forces in the x and y directions and set them equal to zero, since the forces are in equilibrium. By solving these equations, we find that the tension in string 2 is 0.7288 N and the weight of the picture is 0.2335 N. However, the incorrect answer for the weight may be due to using a negative sign and multiplying by the acceleration due to gravity, which should not be necessary.
P944

Homework Statement

Hey guys and girls I have tried to solve this one but I got part (b) wrong any help would be awesome :)

A picture hangs on the wall suspended by two strings, as shown in Figure 6-24, with θ = 72°. The tension in string 1 is 2.0 N

there is a picture with two strings attached to a ceiling and a picture frame hanging beneath. The θ angle is on string one to the left and string to the right has an angle of 32 degrees.

a) calculate the force tension of string 2

b) What is the weight of the picture?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the forces are at equilibrium, i set net forces = 0.

the sum of Forces (x) = Force (string 2) - (string 1) = 0
Sum of Forces (y) = Force tension string 2 + Force tension string 1 - w*g = 0

I get two equations:
1) Force tension 1 cos 32 - 2.0 N cos 72 = 0
2) Force tension 2 sin 32 - 2.0 N sin 72 -(9.80 * w) = 0

solving for equation 1 i get Force of tension on string 2 = 0.7288 N which comes out as correct

However, I get part b) weight of the picture wrong

I put my Force of tension 2 into equation 2 to get weight

(0.5299)(0.7288) + 1.902 -9.80*w = 0
solving i get weight = 0.2335 N but that comes out as wrong. Help lol

Physics news on Phys.org
P944 said:
2) Force tension 2 sin 32 - 2.0 N sin 72 -(9.80 * w) = 0
Why the negative sign here? Aren't both vertical components of the tensions positive? Also, why are you multiplying the weight by 9.8?

Last edited:

Related to Tension of two strings/picture frame

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is applied to an object in order to stretch or pull it. In the case of two strings or a picture frame, tension is the force that is applied to keep the strings or frame taut and in place.

2. How is tension calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F / A, where T is tension, F is the force being applied, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object. In the case of two strings or a picture frame, the tension can also be calculated by measuring the force applied to each string or side of the frame and adding them together.

3. What factors affect tension in two strings or a picture frame?

The tension in two strings or a picture frame can be affected by the weight of the object being supported, the strength and elasticity of the strings or frame material, and the angle at which the strings or frame are positioned.

4. How does tension impact the stability of a picture frame?

Tension is crucial for keeping a picture frame stable and securely holding the artwork in place. If the tension is too low, the frame may become loose and the artwork could slip out. On the other hand, if the tension is too high, it could potentially damage the frame or the artwork.

5. Can the tension in two strings or a picture frame be adjusted?

Yes, the tension in two strings or a picture frame can be adjusted by either tightening or loosening the strings or by adjusting the position of the frame. However, it is important to be careful not to over-tighten, as this could lead to damage or breakage of the strings or frame.