Dot Product: Understanding and Solving with Vectors | Homework Help

In summary: The reason you are getting a different answer is because the first formula uses the cosine of the angle, while the second formula uses the angle itself. Make sure you are using the correct formula for the given situation.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Im given vectors:

b = x hat + y hat
c = x hat + z hat

Homework Equations

http://imgur.com/a/iHTOT

The Attempt at a Solution

so I have 2 eq's... one says:
r * s = rscos(theta)

the other is a summation saying multiply x component 1 with x component 2, add y component 1 with y component 2, and so on.

Ok so I start with method 2: 1*1 x hat + 1* 0 y hat + 0*1 z hat

so you end with 1 (my books answer).

But when I use "r * s = rscos(theta)" I find the angle between them is 90 degrees so I get 0.

Whv does 1 formula work in this case but the other doesnt

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

Im given vectors:

b = x hat + y hat
c = x hat + z hat

Homework Equations

http://imgur.com/a/iHTOT

The Attempt at a Solution

so I have 2 eq's... one says:
r * s = rscos(theta)

the other is a summation saying multiply x component 1 with x component 2, add y component 1 with y component 2, and so on.

Ok so I start with method 2: 1*1 x hat + 1* 0 y hat + 0*1 z hat
No, this isn't what it is saying. What you get from a dot product is a number -- no vectors involved.

There are two forms for the dot product of vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^3##: one that involves the cosine of the angle between the vectors, and the other that involves the sum of the products of the components.

Assuming these are your vectors. ##\vec r = <1, 1, 0>## and ##\vec s = <1, 0, 1>##, then ##\vec r \cdot \vec s = 1 \cdot 1 + 1 \cdot 0 + 0 \cdot 1 = 1##

Rijad Hadzic said:
so you end with 1 (my books answer).

But when I use "r * s = rscos(theta)" I find the angle between them is 90 degrees so I get 0.

Whv does 1 formula work in this case but the other doesnt
Both formulas work, but the angle between the two vectors is not 90° - they are actually 60° apart.

Likes Sunbodi

Related to Dot Product: Understanding and Solving with Vectors | Homework Help

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is also known as the inner product or scalar product. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing up the results.

2. How is the dot product used in physics and engineering?

The dot product is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force, determine the angle between two vectors, and find the projection of one vector onto another. It is also used in vector calculus to calculate derivatives and integrals of vector valued functions.

3. How do you calculate the dot product?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then summing up the results. For example, if vector A = [a1, a2, a3] and vector B = [b1, b2, b3], then the dot product can be written as A · B = (a1*b1) + (a2*b2) + (a3*b3). It can also be calculated using the geometric definition of the dot product, which involves the magnitudes of the two vectors and the angle between them.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product?

The dot product can be interpreted geometrically as the projection of one vector onto another multiplied by the magnitude of the second vector. This means that the dot product gives us information about how much of one vector is in the same direction as the other vector. If the dot product is positive, the two vectors are pointing in the same general direction. If it is negative, they are pointing in opposite directions. If it is zero, they are perpendicular to each other.

5. How is the dot product related to vectors in 3D space?

The dot product can be used to calculate the angle between two vectors in 3D space. It can also be used to determine if two vectors are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other. In addition, the dot product can be extended to calculate the dot product of two matrices, which is useful in many applications in physics and engineering.