Tension in string at a point on a frame

In summary, the student is concerned about the low number of steps in their solution for a problem worth 10 marks. They question if there is a missing relation between the frame support and pulley, or if the solution is simply a basic trig conversion. They use the equations F=mg and Tx=mg*sin(theta) to calculate the tension and convert it using a 1/1 ratio at 45 degrees, resulting in Tx and Ty = 450.4N.
LeafMuncher

Homework Statement

btMUsJA.jpg

Hi all. What concerns me here is that it's worth 10 marks, but the solution I've tried only takes 2 steps. Am I missing some relation between the frame support and the pulley altering the components of the tension, or is the solution really just a basic trig conversion?

Homework Equations

F = mg
Tx = mg*sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

using the above conversions I get the tension as 65kg*9,8m/s^2 = 637N
Then just convert using the 1/1 ratio as 45deg, giving Tx and Ty = 637*sin(45) = 450.4N

Physics news on Phys.org
LeafMuncher said:

Homework Statement

btMUsJA.jpg

Hi all. What concerns me here is that it's worth 10 marks, but the solution I've tried only takes 2 steps. Am I missing some relation between the frame support and the pulley altering the components of the tension, or is the solution really just a basic trig conversion?

Homework Equations

F = mg
Tx = mg*sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

using the above conversions I get the tension as 65kg*9,8m/s^2 = 637N
Then just convert using the 1/1 ratio as 45deg, giving Tx and Ty = 637*sin(45) = 450.4N
Your solution is correct. Good job.

Related to Tension in string at a point on a frame

1. What is tension in a string at a point on a frame?

Tension in a string at a point on a frame is the force exerted by the string on that specific point in the frame. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is tension in a string at a point on a frame calculated?

Tension in a string at a point on a frame can be calculated using the equation T = F * cosθ, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and θ is the angle between the string and the frame.

3. What factors affect the tension in a string at a point on a frame?

The tension in a string at a point on a frame is affected by several factors, including the force applied to the string, the angle of the string with respect to the frame, the elasticity of the string, and any external forces acting on the string.

4. How does tension in a string at a point on a frame differ from tension in a string between two points on a frame?

Tension in a string at a point on a frame is the force exerted by the string on that specific point, while tension in a string between two points on a frame is the force exerted by the string on both of those points. The former is a single value, while the latter is a force vector with both magnitude and direction.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding tension in a string at a point on a frame?

Understanding tension in a string at a point on a frame is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It is used to calculate the stability and strength of structures, determine the maximum load a string can handle, and design structures to withstand tension forces.