Tension in a string holding a spinning object

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in a string when a 1.20 kg mass is spun at the end of a 1.10 m string with a tangential velocity of 13 m/s. The conversation includes equations and a solution method for solving the problem, including a suggestion to use a quadratic equation to find the tension. The importance of considering the angle of the string and the role of gravity in the solution is also mentioned.
Tibriel

Homework Statement

You spin a 1.20 kg mass at the end of a 1.10 m string. The tangential velocity is 13 m/s. What is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations

x = angle string makes to the vertical
L = string length
r = L*sin(x)
T*cos(x) = mg (because the sum of the vertical forces has to be zero)
T*sin(x) = Fc = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Below is the solution I've come up with. My real question is if there is an easier way of solving this. or something I'm missing. In class we ended up putting the 2 equations below into desmos.com and picking the first intersection before 90 degrees to see what the solution should be.

After setting up the free body diagram I get the equations above. Substituting L*sin(x) in for r and I get
T = mg/cos(x)
T = mv^2/[L*sin^2(x)]

we can set these equal to each other and eliminate the mass and I get
sin^2(x)/cos(x) = v^2/(Lg)

substitute: sin^2(x) = 1-cos^2(x)
since the whole right side is made up of known values let's just call all that 'b'
and while we're at it let's set cos(x) = a to make things look simpler
that leaves us with
(1 - a^2)/a = b
1 - a^2 = ab
a^2 + ab = 1
a^2 + ab + (b^2)/4 = 1 + (b^2)/4 <--- complete the square
(a + b/2)^2 = 1 + (b^2)/4
a + b/2 = root [1 + (b^2)/4]
a = -b/2 + root [1 + (b^2)/4]
so now we can say the angle, x = Cos^-1 (a)
and then substitute that into here: T = mg/cos(x), to get the Tension.
T = mg/a

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem does not specify if the plane of the circle is vertical or horizontal. If vertical, then the problem has to specify at what point of the motion you have to find the tension. It does not do that so you have to assume that the circle is horizontal. What is "x" in your equations? Perhaps you may wish to post your free body diagram. Is this a spherical pendulum?

On edit: Yes, it looks like you are solving the spherical pendulum case. Your solution has gone around in a circle (no pun intended). If, in your final answer, you put in your definition a = cos(x), you get T = mg/cos(x) which you knew all along. I suggest the following: Find expressions for sin(x) and cos(x) using the horizontal and vertical equations, then put these in sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1 and solve the quadratic in T.

Last edited:
Yes, you are spinning the object in a horizontal circle, on Earth. So I would imagine that g definitely plays a role in the solution.
x is described in the original post as the angle the string makes to the vertical. Just imagine spinning something in a horizontal circle over your head. I pulled the following picture from the web. It's the same FBD with the exception that I'm using the compliment of the angle shown.
draw2.png
draw.png

Attachments

• draw2.png
    draw2.png
    5 KB · Views: 651
  • draw.png
    draw.png
    5 KB · Views: 333
Tibriel said:
now we can say the angle, x = Cos^-1 (a)
and then substitute that into here: T = mg/cos(x), to get the Tension.
Yes, but of course you do not need to find x. Just use T=mg/a.

Related to Tension in a string holding a spinning object

1. What causes tension in a string holding a spinning object?

The tension in a string holding a spinning object is caused by the centrifugal force exerted by the spinning object. This force pulls on the string in an outward direction, creating tension.

2. How does the tension in the string affect the spinning object?

The tension in the string helps to keep the spinning object in a circular motion and prevents it from flying off in a straight line. It also helps to maintain the speed and direction of the spinning object.

3. Does the tension in the string change as the spinning object rotates?

Yes, the tension in the string changes as the spinning object rotates. As the object spins faster, the tension in the string increases because the centrifugal force becomes stronger. As the spinning object slows down, the tension in the string decreases.

4. Can the tension in the string be too strong or too weak for the spinning object?

Yes, the tension in the string can be too strong or too weak for the spinning object. If the tension is too strong, it can cause the string to break or the spinning object to move in an unpredictable path. If the tension is too weak, the spinning object may not maintain its circular motion and may slow down or stop.

5. How can the tension in the string be adjusted for the spinning object?

The tension in the string can be adjusted by changing the length, thickness, or material of the string. Additionally, the speed and direction of the spinning object can also affect the tension in the string. By adjusting these variables, the tension in the string can be increased or decreased to suit the needs of the spinning object.