Tennis ball Centripetal force question

In summary, spacetime is what allows objects to move through it. It is a three-dimensional grid of points.
saltrock
A tennis ball connected to a long piece of string is swang around in a horizontal circle above the head of the pupil.
the pupil feels that there is a tension in the string and argues that for equilibrium there must be an outward "centrifugal force acting on the ball.critisize this argument and explain why there is a tension in the string?

Physics news on Phys.org
>when the ball accelerates in a circle,the mass tries to act inwards,as a result there is a tension in the string
>Also there is a reaction force acting outside(I don't know where the reaction force comes from).
>Due to the difference between the two forces there is a net centripetal force acting inside.
>It is due to this inward pulling cebtripetal force the ball is in equilibrium,not that it is due to centrifugal foce.

THIS IS WHAT I THINK IS RIGHT BUT I DUNNO WHAT I NEED TO WRITE SO AS TO GET 5 MARKS.CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME ANSWER THIS QUESTION.THANKS IN ADVANCE TO THOSE WHO CAN HELP ME OUT.

I just learned about the centripetal force a few days ago but I would not say that there is a force acting outwards. Naturally since the ball is stuck to the pupil with the string it has to continue moving in a circular motion. In order for the ball to maintain it's "speed" while changing its angle the net force has to be directed towards the center. Since the gravitational force is acting downwards this force can't be sufficient for this net force all the time. Therefore it has to be the string that pulls the ball constantly. Any thoughts?

The Tension should be due to centripetal force...

saltrock said:
>when the ball accelerates in a circle,the mass tries to act inwards,as a result there is a tension in the string
>Also there is a reaction force acting outside(I don't know where the reaction force comes from).
>Due to the difference between the two forces there is a net centripetal force acting inside.
>It is due to this inward pulling cebtripetal force the ball is in equilibrium,not that it is due to centrifugal foce.
Just about every statement you made is incorrect. The most important thing to realize is that the ball is not in equilibrium! It is accelerating towards the center of the circle. So there must be a net force on the ball towards the center. Gravity acts down, so something else must be contributing a force on the ball. The string, of course. It's the tension in the string (the horizontal component) that pulls the ball inward, keeping it going around in a circle.

Where does the tension in the string come from?

When the ball is moving in a circular motion the string pulls it towards the center, this is the centripetal force. In order for the ball to change its vector (changing angle/speed, this case angle) it has to be affected by a force, in this case centripetal therefore inwards from the string. The string won't release the ball so it pulls it inwards.
Also there cannot be an equilibrium in that case both the speed and angle of the ball's velocity vector would remain constant thus it would not move circular.

Is that helping at all? :P

saltrock said:
Where does the tension in the string come from?
The ball "wants" to continue in a straight line motion, not go in a circle. But, since the string is attached, it cannot. The string pulls on the ball, forcing it to go in a circle. If the ball is going too fast, or is too massive, then the string will not be able to create enough tension before it snaps. But as long as the string is strong enough, and you are able to grip it tight enough, the ball will be forced into a circular path.

The tension in the string is its response to being pulled at both ends.

circular motion and equillibrium

An object is not in equillibrium if it is in circular motion. That is, it is accelerating. That is, its velocity is changing, which is true since it is always changing directions.

All this means there's a force acting on it, making it move in a circle. And that is the tension. That is the explanation for tension.

spacetime
www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html

Related to Tennis ball Centripetal force question

1. What is the definition of centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How does a tennis ball stay in a circular path when hit by a racket?

When a tennis ball is hit by a racket, the force of the impact creates a centripetal force that pulls the ball towards the center of the circular path. This centripetal force is balanced by the ball's inertia, causing it to continue moving in a circular path.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force on a tennis ball?

The centripetal force on a tennis ball can be affected by the mass of the ball, the speed at which it is moving, and the radius of the circular path it is following. The greater the mass and speed, or the smaller the radius, the greater the centripetal force.

4. Can the centripetal force on a tennis ball be increased?

Yes, the centripetal force on a tennis ball can be increased by increasing the speed at which it is moving or by decreasing the radius of the circular path it is following. This can be done by hitting the ball harder or changing the angle of the racket.

5. What happens if there is not enough centripetal force on a tennis ball?

If there is not enough centripetal force on a tennis ball, it will not be able to maintain its circular path and will fly off in a straight line. This can happen if the ball is hit too softly or if the radius of the circular path is too large.