Need help with a centripetal force question

In summary, the tension in the string equals the force of gravity on mass m2, which is 4*9.8 N. The horizontal force on the puck, which is the centripetal force, is also 4*9.8 N. Using the equation mv^2 / r = F, we can solve for v and get a final answer of 8.57321 m/s. The correct answer given by the professor is 10.5 m/s, but this is likely due to rounding differences in the number of significant figures used. Overall, your logic and method for solving the problem appear to be correct.
sens

Homework Statement

[/B]
media%2F837%2F837b1205-3600-4f55-9ce0-ecab40407d1e%2FphpeyTTSA.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
mv^2 / r = F

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt and reasoning for this problem, is this the correct way to approach the problem or am i missing something?the hanging mass is motionless the tension in string equals the force of gravity on mass m2, therefore
T = 4*9.8N
The horizontal force on the puck (which is the centripetal force) is the same as the tension.
F(horizontal) = 4*9.8 N
(c) mv^2 / r = F(centripetal) ===> (0.8)(v^2) / (1.5) = 4*9.8 ===> v = 8.57321 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic and method look good. You'll want to display the end result with the correct number of significant figures though.

gneill said:
Your logic and method look good. You'll want to display the end result with the correct number of significant figures though.

Are you sure the answer is correct? The solution key that the professor just posted said the answer was 10.5 m/s so I'm trying to figure out where i went wrong.

I don't see any problem with your solution. Your result is correct for the problem given.

You might make your answer 10 m/s if you were rounding to one significant digit, but your professor's result has three. So that won't account for the difference.

ok thank you for your help

Related to Need help with a centripetal force question

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path. It keeps an object moving in a circular motion.

What is the equation for centripetal force?

The equation for centripetal force is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How do you calculate the centripetal force?

To calculate the centripetal force, first determine the mass of the object and its velocity. Then, determine the radius of the circular path. Plug these values into the equation Fc = mv^2/r to find the centripetal force.

What are some examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force include a car driving around a curve, a planet orbiting around a star, and a ball attached to a string being swung in a circular motion.

What happens if there is no centripetal force?

If there is no centripetal force acting on an object, it will continue moving in a straight line instead of a circular path. This is known as Newton's first law of motion, or the law of inertia.