Taylor series Mostly conceptual

In summary, when finding a Taylor series for xe^(-x^3), one can either find the series for e^x and work from there, or take the derivatives of xe^(-x^3) directly. However, the latter method can become complicated quickly and may not result in a working Taylor series. It is important to choose the easiest method when finding a Taylor series.
trajan22
I was just curious why when doing a taylor series like xe^(-x^3) we must first find the series of e^x then basically work it from there, why can't we instead do it directly by taking the derivatives of xe^(-x^3). But doing it that way doesn't give a working taylor series why is this so?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do it either way. But the derivatives of xe^(-x^3) get complicated pretty fast. So you may just be doing it wrong. I probably would. It's just a question of choosing the easiest method.

Last edited:
Oh ok I see. I was looking at the wrong answer, I think. Thanks though

Related to Taylor series Mostly conceptual

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical concept that allows us to approximate a function using a sum of infinite terms. It is named after the English mathematician Brook Taylor.

2. How is a Taylor series different from a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the center point is zero. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series where the terms are centered at x=0.

3. What is the purpose of using a Taylor series?

The purpose of using a Taylor series is to approximate a function that may be difficult to evaluate directly. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler parts, making it easier to analyze and calculate.

4. How do you determine the accuracy of a Taylor series?

The accuracy of a Taylor series depends on the number of terms used in the approximation. The more terms that are included, the more accurate the approximation will be. In general, the error of a Taylor series decreases as the number of terms increases.

5. Can a Taylor series be used to find the value of a function at any point?

Yes, a Taylor series can be used to find the value of a function at any point within its radius of convergence. However, it should be noted that the series may not converge outside of this radius, and therefore, the approximation may not be accurate.