Find Taylor Series from a function and its interval of convergence

In summary: It does look better. I'll try to find the interval of convergence now.In summary, the Taylor Series for f(x) centered at x=1 is \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n * \frac{(n-1)!}{6}}{(1+x)^{n+4}}. The interval of convergence can be determined by checking the convergence of the series using the Ratio Test or the Root Test.
deagledoubleg
Let f(x) = (1+x)-4
Find the Taylor Series of f centered at x=1 and its interval of convergence.

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty f^n(c)\frac{(x-c)^n}{n!}[/tex] is general Taylor series form

My attempt

I found the first 4 derivatives of f(x) and their values at fn(1). Yet from here I do not know how to find the taylor series, from there I should be able to finish it myself. Any ideas on how to find the Taylor series here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
deagledoubleg said:
Let f(x) = (1+x)-4
Find the Taylor Series of f centered at x=1 and its interval of convergence.

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty f^n(c)\frac{(x-c)^n}{n!}[/tex] is general Taylor series form

My attempt

I found the first 4 derivatives of f(x) and their values at fn(1). Yet from here I do not know how to find the taylor series, from there I should be able to finish it myself. Any ideas on how to find the Taylor series here?

How did you find the derivatives?

f0(x)= [tex] \frac{(1)}{(1+x)^4}[/tex]
f1(x)= [tex] \frac{(-4)}{(1+x)^5}[/tex]
f2(x)= [tex] \frac{(20)}{(1+x)^6}[/tex]
f3(x)= [tex] \frac{(-120)}{(1+x)^7}[/tex]
f4(x)= [tex] \frac{(840)}{(1+x)^8}[/tex]

I think that I got the Taylor Series of [tex] f^n(x)=\frac{(-1)^(n+1)*(n-1)!}{2^(n+4)} [/tex]

Last edited:
deagledoubleg said:
f0(x)=(1+x)-4
f1(x)= [itex] \frac{-4}{(1+x)5} [\itex]
f2(x)= [itex] \frac{20}{(1+x)6} [\itex]
f3(x)= [itex] \frac{-120}{(1+x)7} [\itex]
f4(x)= [itex] \frac{840}{(1+x)8} [\itex]

I think that I got the Taylor Series of [tex] fn(x)=\frac{(-1)n+1*(n-1)!}{2n+4} [/tex]

Can you fix that latex? In any case, it doesn't look right. It looks like a mixture of parts of the solution.

Fixed

deagledoubleg said:
Fixed

You can see that your general formula doesn't match the first four derivatives.

True, I can see that now. I think the issue is the (n-1)! in the numerator. I can't find something that works because I want it to be n! but to stop at 4. like 7*6*5*4, but not include *3*2*1. To do this would I just divide that by 6?

deagledoubleg said:
True, I can see that now. I think the issue is the (n-1)! in the numerator. I can't find something that works because I want it to be n! but to stop at 4. like 7*6*5*4, but not include *3*2*1. To do this would I just divide that by 6?

For the time being, just calculate ##f^{(n)}(x)##. You're not aiming at anything.

And, yes, ##7*6*5*4 = 7!/6##

I think that I have [tex] f^n(x)=\frac{(-1)^(n)*\frac{(n-1)!}{6}}{(1+x)^(n+4)} [/tex]

You need to check that ##(n-1)!##.

Does the above look better?

Related to Find Taylor Series from a function and its interval of convergence

1. What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point. It is used to approximate a function at a given point by using simpler functions, such as polynomials.

2. How do you find the Taylor Series of a function?

To find the Taylor Series of a function, you need to take derivatives of the function at a given point and evaluate them at that point. The coefficients of each term in the series are determined by the value of the derivatives. Then, you can write out the infinite sum of terms to represent the Taylor Series of the function.

3. What is the interval of convergence for a Taylor Series?

The interval of convergence for a Taylor Series is the range of values for which the series will converge and accurately approximate the original function. It is determined by the radius of convergence, which is found by using the ratio test on the series.

4. How do you determine the radius of convergence for a Taylor Series?

The radius of convergence for a Taylor Series can be found by using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio between consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge and the radius of convergence is equal to the value of the limit. If the limit is greater than 1, the series will diverge and the radius of convergence is 0.

5. Can a Taylor Series always accurately represent a function?

No, a Taylor Series can only accurately represent a function within its interval of convergence. If the value you are trying to approximate is outside of this interval, the series will not accurately represent the function. Additionally, even within the interval of convergence, the series may not be an exact representation of the function, but rather an approximation.