Taking Physics SATII without AP Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's concerns about taking the Physics SATII subject test and whether their Pre-AP Physics knowledge will be sufficient. They are reassured that their knowledge, along with review of necessary thermodynamics, will be enough to score well on the exam. It is also recommended to use an SAT II Prep book for further clarification.
eafd
Hi, I'm in 11th grade currently taking Pre-AP Physics and want to take the Physics SATII subject test. I have to take it this upcoming summer of 2013 since college applications are due in November 2013. However, I'm not sure if just knowledge from Pre-AP physics will be enough for the test. Does anyone know if the test covers things only taught in AP Physics? Or should my Pre-AP physics knowledge be enough to score well?

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be just fine as long as you review, or learn, the necessary thermodynamics (which isn't much but I'm just saying this because not all all pre - AP physics curriculum cover what is needed in thermodynamics so I don't know about your school's but if you remember your thermal chem then that will be enough). The rest will be in any standard pre - AP physics curriculum. There is no calculus in the exam.

I heard we won't be doing any thermodynamics in PreAP physics. However, I'm taking AP Chem this year and we just finished thermochemistry. Should that be enough?

It will be much more than enough don't worry. You just need the basic gas laws. Get an SAT II Prep book for physics and the needed material will be wonderfully lucid. Good luck mate! I'm sure you'll do superb.

WannabeNewton said:
It will be much more than enough don't worry. You just need the basic gas laws. Get an SAT II Prep book for physics and the needed material will be wonderfully lucid. Good luck mate! I'm sure you'll do superb.

Thanks!

Related to Taking Physics SATII without AP Physics?

1. Can I take the Physics SATII without taking AP Physics?

Yes, you can take the Physics SATII without taking AP Physics. While AP Physics courses cover similar topics to the Physics SATII, they are not required for taking the exam.

2. Will taking the Physics SATII without AP Physics put me at a disadvantage?

No, taking the Physics SATII without AP Physics will not put you at a disadvantage. The exam is designed to test your knowledge of basic physics concepts, and studying on your own or with a tutor can prepare you for the exam.

3. Are there any specific topics I should focus on if I haven't taken AP Physics?

Yes, some topics that are commonly covered in AP Physics courses may not be included in the Physics SATII. You should focus on mastering basic physics concepts, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics.

4. Is it recommended to take AP Physics before taking the Physics SATII?

No, it is not necessary to take AP Physics before taking the Physics SATII. However, if you plan on pursuing a degree in a science or engineering field, taking AP Physics may be beneficial for your college applications.

5. How can I prepare for the Physics SATII if I haven't taken AP Physics?

You can prepare for the Physics SATII by studying on your own or with a tutor. There are also many review books and online resources available that can help you familiarize yourself with the exam format and content. Practice exams can also help you identify any areas where you may need to focus your studying.