AP Physics 2 without AP Physics 1?

In summary, the person is a senior in high school who developed an interest in physics during their junior year. However, they did not take AP Physics 1 at the time and now only have the option to take AP Physics 2. They are considering self-studying AP Physics 1 over the summer in order to succeed in AP Physics 2, but are unsure if this is a feasible option. They are seeking advice on whether to pursue this route or to look into other courses for the fall.
Emiliano Carrillo
Hey, all!

My situation is as follows: I'm an upcoming senior in high school and in the middle of my junior year I developed an interest in physics. However, at my school, AP Physics 1 is taken junior year and AP Physics 2 is taken senior year. I didn't take AP 1 because I was indifferent to physics at the time, but I now am interested in taking physics. Only AP 2 is open to seniors, so this puts me in a tough spot.

My idea is that if I could successfully self study AP 1 concepts over the summer and do a variety of practice problems, I could succeed in AP 2 next year. My question is: would this be a feasible option? I think so, but many people at my school struggled greatly in AP 1, so to tackle it on my own over a summer is a bit intimidating. I'd like to get some outsider perspective, though.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a terrible idea. Given that the summer is already half gone, that makes it sound even more terrible.

Are any other physics courses open to you this fall?

Likes Emiliano Carrillo
Hmm, I'll find a more rational step to take, maybe different courses. Thanks again.

Have you tried talking to the teacher? Are they even willing to let you into the course if you can pass a practice exam or something? It's very unlikely you'd be able to teach it to yourself in such a small amount of time, and you absolutely need to know that material before starting AP physics 2. They build on each other. You'd be better off trying to get into AP physics 1 instead with the juniors.

just take AP 1 as a senior...

What is AP Physics 2 without AP Physics 1?

AP Physics 2 is an advanced high school level physics course that covers topics such as thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It is designed to be taken after AP Physics 1, which covers the fundamentals of mechanics and introductory topics in electricity and magnetism.

Do I need to take AP Physics 1 before taking AP Physics 2?

It is recommended that students take AP Physics 1 before taking AP Physics 2, as the topics covered in AP Physics 1 are foundational for understanding the concepts in AP Physics 2. However, some students may be able to succeed in AP Physics 2 without taking AP Physics 1, if they have a strong background in physics and mathematics.

What are the differences between AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2?

AP Physics 1 focuses on mechanics and introductory topics in electricity and magnetism, while AP Physics 2 covers more advanced topics such as thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. AP Physics 2 also places a greater emphasis on mathematical problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

Will I be at a disadvantage if I take AP Physics 2 without taking AP Physics 1?

While it may be more challenging to take AP Physics 2 without taking AP Physics 1, it is still possible to succeed in the course with dedication and hard work. It is important to have a strong understanding of fundamental physics concepts and mathematical skills to do well in AP Physics 2.

Can I take both AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 in the same year?

While it is possible to take both AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 in the same year, it is not recommended as the workload can be overwhelming. It is important to have a strong foundation in mechanics and introductory physics concepts before moving on to more advanced topics in AP Physics 2.