Taking a grad class as a senior

In summary, the individual is considering their options for their senior year classes and is unsure if taking a graduate course would be beneficial. They have completed most of their important undergraduate physics courses and will be applying to grad schools in the future. The options are to either finish their math major and take one final undergrad physics course while studying hard for the PGRE, or to also include a graduate physics course. The individual is concerned about getting burned out and not being able to study for the PGRE if they choose option 2. They are also wondering how much taking and doing well in a graduate course would benefit their grad school resume. Ultimately, the individual wants to finish their math major as an added backup plan in case they are not accepted into physics
kev12592
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide on classes for my senior year and I am not sure if it is worth it to take a grad class or not. I have completed all but one of the important physics undergrad courses. I will be applying to grad schools next winter

Here are the option's I have:
1. Finish my math major, take that one undergrad physics course, minimum credit hours, and study like mad for the pgre.
2. Do all of 1, but include a grad physics course.

I could do option 2, but I think I might get burned out and wind up not studying for the pgre. How beneficial is it to your grad school resume if you take and do well in a grad course anyways? I want to finish my math major, just as an added plus in case physics grad school doesn't work out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your PGRE score will matter more than one grad class but its your decision

Related to Taking a grad class as a senior

1. How will taking a grad class as a senior benefit me in my career?

Taking a grad class as a senior can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills that can make you a more competitive candidate for jobs in your field. It can also demonstrate to potential employers your commitment to continuous learning and personal growth.

2. Will taking a grad class as a senior affect my undergraduate GPA?

Yes, taking a grad class as a senior will affect your undergraduate GPA. However, depending on your university's policies, it may only count towards your graduate GPA or it may not be factored into your GPA at all. It's important to check with your academic advisor for more information.

3. Can I transfer credits from a grad class to a graduate program I plan to attend?

It is possible to transfer credits from a grad class to a graduate program, but it ultimately depends on the policies of the program you plan to attend. Some programs may only accept a certain number of transfer credits, while others may not accept any at all. It's important to research the specific program's policies before enrolling in a grad class.

4. Will taking a grad class as a senior require more time and effort than a regular undergraduate class?

Yes, taking a grad class as a senior will likely require more time and effort than a regular undergraduate class. Graduate courses are typically more rigorous and demanding, as they are designed for students who have already completed their undergraduate studies. It's important to plan your schedule accordingly and be prepared for a higher level of academic work.

5. Are there any financial benefits to taking a grad class as a senior?

There may be financial benefits to taking a grad class as a senior, such as receiving a tuition discount or being eligible for financial aid. However, this may vary depending on your university and the specific graduate class you are taking. It's best to check with your university's financial aid office for more information.