Take genetics elective as an elective?

• Thread starter jbrussell93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, as a biological engineering major interested in neuroengineering and computational neuroscience, taking a genetics course may not be necessary for your goals, but it can still provide a useful foundation for certain topics in neuroscience. It ultimately depends on your specific interests and course selections.
jbrussell93
I'm a biological engineering major planning on minoring in math/physics and computational neuroscience. I'm planning on taking a cell bio and neuroscience class as BIO SCI electives, but I'm wondering if genetics would be useful. Genetics is a prerequisite for cell bio but it isn't necessarily REQUIRED, and I don't want to waste time taking something I won't find useful. Currently, I'm interested in going to graduate school for something relating to neuroengineering, computational neuroscience, or something else related to bioelectricity and computation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't genetics mainly be useful for biomolecular engineering or something similar? Even for something like computational genomics, is the formal genetics background even necessary?

Appreciate the advice

Physics news on Phys.org
! Genetics is a useful and important area of biology, but it may not be necessary for your specific goals. Genetics is generally more important for research involving biomolecular engineering or biochemistry, so if you are primarily interested in neuroscience and bioelectricity, then you may not need to take a genetics course. However, understanding the basics of genetics can be helpful when studying topics related to evolution or population genetics, which may come up in some neuroscience courses. Ultimately, it depends on what courses you plan to take and what research you plan to pursue in the future.

Related to Take genetics elective as an elective?

1. What is a genetics elective?

A genetics elective is a course that focuses on the study of genes, DNA, and heredity. It covers topics such as inheritance patterns, gene expression, genetic disorders, and genetic engineering.

2. Why should I take a genetics elective?

A genetics elective can provide a deeper understanding of how traits are inherited and how they can be manipulated. It can also be beneficial for those interested in pursuing a career in genetics, medicine, or biotechnology.

3. What are the prerequisites for a genetics elective?

The prerequisites may vary depending on the institution, but typically a basic understanding of biology and chemistry is required. Some courses may also require previous coursework in genetics or molecular biology.

4. What can I expect to learn in a genetics elective?

In a genetics elective, you can expect to learn about the structure and function of DNA, principles of inheritance, genetic variation, and genetic technologies. You may also have the opportunity to explore current research and applications in the field.

5. How can a genetics elective benefit my future career?

A genetics elective can provide a strong foundation for careers in fields such as medicine, genetic counseling, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology. It can also be useful for those interested in pursuing further education in genetics or related fields.