Choosing Between Physics, Aerospace Engineering, and Biology: My Struggle at 18

In summary, Marcos is an 18-year-old from Argentina struggling to choose between studying physics, aerospace engineering, and biology. He is interested in physics because of his love for research and understanding the world, aerospace engineering for its job stability and advanced physics applications, and biology for fields like stem cells, genetics, and neuroscience. However, he is concerned about the lack of research opportunities and low pay in Argentina and is considering studying in the US. He is seeking advice on which field to pursue and is considering combining his interests in biology and physics to potentially study biophysics.
Frushe
Hello, my name is Marcos. I am 18 years old and I am from Argentina. I am going through quite a struggle deciding between Physics, Engineering(specifically Aerospace Engineering) and biology.The reasons for my interest in physics are: I would love to carry out research(I like science), I like being able to understand a little about everything and the world that surrounds us, I have a great interest on space. Reasons for my interest on Aerospace engineering: It is a "safer" major in terms of employment and money, I might be able to do complex things in relation to space, It has advanced physics. Things I like about biology: stem cells, genetics and neuroscience. The problem is here in Argentina research is almost non existant. So, I will have to leave my country to the US (still being hard) In both I am planning to try hardly to achieve a Phd. What is your advice? Thanks a lot for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You could consider combining two interests like biology and physics and get into biophysics. Biology related fields are hot and are arguably a better field to get into than aerospace.

Other more qualified members here will give you some other good tips.

One thing you can do now is to write down the pros and cons of each field and factor what you learn here and from additional research online and your best choice will become evident.

Likes micromass
I don't think it's necessary obvious that aerospace engineering is safer than something like biophysics. I don't know, but it's something you should look into. Especially since the country where you plan to work is Argentina and not the US.

Likes jedishrfu
I cannot stop thinking on what to do with my life. I know that I want to contribute to the world with something, make my life worthy. But also I don't want to not earn enough to support my family in the future, specially in a place like argentina where research is not paid well.
micromass said:
I don't think it's necessary obvious that aerospace engineering is safer than something like biophysics. I don't know, but it's something you should look into. Especially since the country where you plan to work is Argentina and not the US.
es
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

You could consider combining two interests like biology and physics and get into biophysics. Biology related fields are hot and are arguably a better field to get into than aerospace.

Other more qualified members here will give you some other good tips.

One thing you can do now is to write down the pros and cons of each field and factor what you learn here and from additional research online and your best choice will become evident.

@Frushe Could I get you to go to the personal message you received, and click on "Report" so that I can see it. Thanks.

NascentOxygen said:
@Frushe Could I get you to go to the personal message you received, and click on "Report" so that I can see it. Thanks.
Done! Thanks

Related to Choosing Between Physics, Aerospace Engineering, and Biology: My Struggle at 18

1. What is the meaning of "struggle" in this context?

The term "struggle" can have a wide range of meanings depending on the context in which it is used. In this context, it typically refers to a personal or emotional difficulty that an individual is facing.

2. How can I identify and understand my own struggles?

Identifying and understanding one's own struggles can be a challenging and ongoing process. It often involves introspection, seeking support from others, and engaging in self-reflection and self-care practices. Some common signs of struggle may include feelings of overwhelm, persistent negative thoughts or emotions, and difficulty functioning in daily life.

3. What are some helpful strategies for coping with my struggles?

There are various strategies that can be helpful in coping with struggles, and what works best may vary from person to person. Some examples may include seeking therapy or counseling, practicing mindfulness and self-care, finding support from loved ones, setting achievable goals, and seeking professional help if needed.

4. How can I support someone who is struggling?

If someone you know is struggling, it is important to offer support and empathy without judgment. You can ask them how they are feeling, listen actively, and offer practical help if needed. It is also important to respect their boundaries and allow them to share as much or as little as they feel comfortable with.

5. When should I seek professional help for my struggles?

If your struggles are significantly impacting your daily life and functioning, or if they are causing persistent distress, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. A mental health professional can provide support, guidance, and resources to help you manage and overcome your struggles.