System of ODEs in a rotating coord. system

In summary, the conversation discusses the inclusion of the first two terms in each 2nd order ODE in a rotating coordinate system. The individual proposes their own calculations but realizes that they are missing the centrifugal and Coriolis terms. They suggest looking into rotating frames of reference to understand these terms.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

pb14Q4Q.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/pb14Q4Q.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The thing I don't understand is where the first two terms of each 2nd order ODE came about.

I understand that they are there because the coordinate system is rotating, but when I set a rotating coord. system and try to get [itex]x{''}_1 = x_1 + 2x{'}_2[/itex] and [itex]x{''}_2 = x_2 - 2x{'}_1[/itex] I get [itex]x{''}_1 = \alpha x{'}_2[/itex] and [itex]x{''}_2 = - \alpha x{'}_1[/itex] where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the constant angular velocity.

My reasoning is, let r = 1 (the distance between origin and any (x,y)), let A be the initial angle prior to some rotation and [itex]\alpha t[/itex] be the rotation rate by time.

[tex]x = \cos{A-\alpha t}[/tex]

[tex]x{'} = \alpha \sin{A-\alpha t}[/tex]

[tex]x{''} = -\alpha^2 \cos{A-\alpha t}[/tex]

Do the same thing for y and wind up with [itex]x{''}_1 = \alpha x{'}_2[/itex] and [itex]x{''}_2 = - \alpha x{'}_1[/itex]

That looks like it's on it's way to being [itex]x{''}_1 = x_1 + 2x{'}_2[/itex] and [itex]x{''}_2 = x_2 - 2x{'}_1[/itex]...but I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to System of ODEs in a rotating coord. system

1. What is a system of ODEs in a rotating coordinate system?

A system of ODEs (ordinary differential equations) in a rotating coordinate system is a set of equations that describe the behavior of a physical system in which the coordinate system is rotating or accelerating. In this type of system, the equations of motion must take into account the rotation or acceleration of the coordinate system itself.

2. Why is it important to use a rotating coordinate system in certain situations?

A rotating coordinate system is often used in situations where the physical system itself is rotating or accelerating. This allows for a more accurate description of the system's behavior, as the equations of motion can account for the effects of the rotation or acceleration on the system's dynamics.

3. What are some common examples of systems that require a rotating coordinate system?

Some common examples include celestial bodies such as planets and satellites, as well as rotating machinery such as turbines and gyroscopes. In these situations, the motion of the system is influenced by the rotation of the coordinate system and must be described using a rotating frame of reference.

4. How do you solve a system of ODEs in a rotating coordinate system?

Solving a system of ODEs in a rotating coordinate system involves using mathematical techniques such as transformation of coordinates and substitution of variables. These techniques can help simplify the equations and make them solvable using standard methods such as separation of variables or numerical methods.

5. What are some challenges in working with a system of ODEs in a rotating coordinate system?

One of the main challenges is keeping track of the rotating coordinate system and ensuring that the equations of motion are properly transformed and solved in this frame of reference. Additionally, the equations can become more complex and difficult to solve compared to those in a non-rotating coordinate system.