Symmetric and anti-symmetric matrices

In summary: The transpose of the matrix 2) is $$4B^{\small\mathsf{T}}A^{\small\mathsf{T}} = 4B^{\small\mathsf{T}}A^{\small\mathsf{T}} - 4A^{\small\mathsf{T}}B^{\small\mathsf{T}} = 4A^{\small\mathsf{T}}P^{\small\mathsf{T}} - 4P^{\small\mathsf{T}}A = 4A^{\small\mathsf{T}}(P^{\small\mathsf{T}}-A) = 4A^{\small\mathsf{T}}
Yankel
Hello all,

I have 3 matrices, A - symmetric, B - anti symmetric, and P - any matrix

All matrices are of order nXn and are not the 0 matrix

I need to tell if the following matrices are symmetric or anti symmetric:

1) 5AB-5BA
2) 4B^3
3) A(P^t)(A^t)
4) (A+B)^2
5) BAB

How would you approach this, are there any known relations between symmetric and anti symmetric matrices ? Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Yankel,

If you don't know the relations just do the computations, I mean, call
$A=(a_{i,j})_{i,j=1}^{n}$, $B=(b_{i,j})_{i,j=1}^{n}$ and $P=(p_{i,j})_{i,j=1}^{n}$.

Now, for example the entry $(i,j)$ of the matrix $AB$ is the product of the $i$-th row of $B$ times the $j$-th column of $B$ so it is
$\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{n}a_{i,k}b_{k,j}$

Now you have to check if this is equal, inverse of nothing to the $(j,i)$ entry of the same matrix, that will be
$\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{n}a_{j,k}b_{k,i}$

For doing this, take into account that $a_{i,j}=a_{j,i}$ and $b_{i,j}=-b_{i,j}$ for every $i\neq j$. (Sometimes in antisymmetric matrices $a_{i,i}=0$ but sometimes $a_{i,i}$ could be whatever, it depends on the definition of antisymmetry you are working with)

The same idea can be extended to all your cases.

Yankel said:
Hello all,

I have 3 matrices, A - symmetric, B - anti symmetric, and P - any matrix

All matrices are of order nXn and are not the 0 matrix

I need to tell if the following matrices are symmetric or anti symmetric:

1) 5AB-5BA
2) 4B^3
3) A(P^t)(A^t)
4) (A+B)^2
5) BAB

How would you approach this, are there any known relations between symmetric and anti symmetric matrices ? Thanks !
Just find the transpose of each of these matrices, using the facts that $A^{\small\mathsf{T}} = A$, $B^{\small\mathsf{T}} = -B$, and the transpose of a product is the product of the transposes in reverse order.

For example, the transpose of the matrix 1) is $$(5AB - 5BA)^{\small\mathsf{T}} = (5AB)^{\small\mathsf{T}} - (5BA)^{\small\mathsf{T}} = 5B^{\small\mathsf{T}}A^{\small\mathsf{T}} - 5A^{\small\mathsf{T}}B^{\small\mathsf{T}} = 5(-B)A - 5A(-B) = 5AB - 5BA.$$ That is the same as the original matrix, so you conclude that this matrix is symmetric.

Related to Symmetric and anti-symmetric matrices

What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix in which the elements above and below the main diagonal are reflections of each other. In other words, if you were to fold the matrix along the diagonal, the elements on one side would match the elements on the other side.

What is an anti-symmetric matrix?

An anti-symmetric matrix is a square matrix in which the elements above the main diagonal are the negative of the elements below the main diagonal. In other words, if you were to fold the matrix along the main diagonal, the elements on one side would be the negatives of the elements on the other side.

How can you tell if a matrix is symmetric or anti-symmetric?

A matrix is symmetric if it is equal to its own transpose. In other words, if you swap the rows and columns of a symmetric matrix, the resulting matrix will be identical to the original matrix. An anti-symmetric matrix, on the other hand, will have the same values in the opposite positions when compared to its transpose.

What is the difference between a symmetric and an anti-symmetric matrix?

The main difference between the two is that a symmetric matrix is equal to its own transpose, while an anti-symmetric matrix is equal to the negative of its own transpose. This means that a symmetric matrix will have the same values in the same positions when compared to its transpose, while an anti-symmetric matrix will have the same values in the opposite positions when compared to its transpose.

What are some real-world applications of symmetric and anti-symmetric matrices?

Both symmetric and anti-symmetric matrices have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, symmetric matrices are used in mechanics to represent the moments of inertia of a system, while anti-symmetric matrices are used in electromagnetics to represent the cross-coupling between different components.