Three Plus Anti-symmetric Particles

In summary, fermions are anti-symmetric under exchange, and this applies even when there are three or more particles. The wave function for three electrons must reverse sign under the exchange of any two particles, and the same applies for any pair of particles in a multi-particle system.
JohnH
So I understand that fermions are anti-symmetric under exchange, but in the contexts I've seen this explained they were always talking about two particles, or at least two wavefunctions. I'm curious how this works when there are three or more particles. Is any two given pairs of those 3+ particles anti-symmetric under exchange or is it more systematic? Or is it that there's essentially one wavefunction for all the particles (quanta of energy) in one spin and another wavefunction for all the quanta of energy in the other spin such that it's just those two wavefunctions that are anti-symmetric under exchange?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JohnH said:
So I understand that fermions are anti-symmetric under exchange, but in the contexts I've seen this explained they were always talking about two particles, or at least two wavefunctions. I'm curious how this works when there are three or more particles.
The wave function for three electrons is covered here:

https://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/752.mf1i.spring03/IdenticalParticlesRevisited.htm

The total wavefunction must reverse sign under the exchange of any two particles.
JohnH said:
Is any two given pairs of those 3+ particles anti-symmetric under exchange or is it more systematic? Or is it that there's essentially one wavefunction for all the particles (quanta of energy) in one spin and another wavefunction for all the quanta of energy in the other spin such that it's just those two wavefunctions that are anti-symmetric under exchange?
I can't make any sense of this part of your question.

Likes JohnH and topsquark
PeroK said:
I can't make any sense of this part of your question.
Yeah, just trying to answer my own question last minute. Probably better off waiting for an answer. Anyway, thank you for it.

The wave functions of indistinguishable fermions must be antisymmetric under exchange of any pair of arguments, ##(\vec{x}_j,\sigma_j##, where ##\vec{x}_j## is the postition and ##\sigma_j## the spin-##z##-component (##\sigma_j\in \{-s,-s+1,\ldots,s-1,s \}##, where ##s## is a half-integer positive number, ##s \in \{1/2,3/2,\ldots \}##), i.e., if ##\psi(t,\vec{x}_1,\sigma_1;\vec{x}_2,\sigma_2;\ldots; \vec{x}_N,\sigma_N)## is an ##N##-particle fermionic wave function, then it's antisymmetric by exchanging any pair ##(\vec{x}_i,\sigma_i)## and ##(\vec{x}_j,\sigma_j)##.

Likes JohnH

1. What are three plus anti-symmetric particles?

Three plus anti-symmetric particles are a type of elementary particle that have three units of charge and exhibit anti-symmetry under particle exchange. They are also known as fermions and are a fundamental building block of matter.

2. How are three plus anti-symmetric particles different from other particles?

Three plus anti-symmetric particles differ from other particles in several ways. They have three units of charge, which is more than most other particles. They also exhibit anti-symmetry, meaning that their wave function changes sign when two identical particles are exchanged. This is in contrast to bosons, which exhibit symmetry under particle exchange.

3. What are some examples of three plus anti-symmetric particles?

The most well-known example of a three plus anti-symmetric particle is the electron. Other examples include quarks, neutrinos, and certain types of baryons and mesons. These particles are the building blocks of atoms and play a crucial role in the structure and behavior of matter.

4. How do three plus anti-symmetric particles interact with each other?

Three plus anti-symmetric particles interact with each other through the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. These interactions are described by the laws of quantum mechanics and play a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of matter.

5. What is the significance of three plus anti-symmetric particles in modern physics?

Three plus anti-symmetric particles are of great significance in modern physics as they are the fundamental building blocks of matter. They are also crucial in our understanding of the universe, as they play a role in the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies. Additionally, the study of three plus anti-symmetric particles has led to advancements in technology, such as the development of transistors and computer chips.