SW1986's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a solid of revolution

In summary, the question is about finding the volume of a solid of revolution bounded by y=(x^3)-(x^5), y=0, x=0, and x=1 using the shell method. The user is having difficulty integrating with respect to y and is seeking help. The response provides a step-by-step explanation and solution using the shell method, and suggests posting any further questions in a math help forum.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Volume of a solid of revolution about x=3?

What is the volume of the solid of revolution bounded by
y=(x^3)-(x^5)
y=0
x=0
x=1

I have been using the shell method and I keep getting a negative answer which is obviously incorrect. (I keep getting 2pi(-14183/140). I'm trying to get the integral set up to use the washer method but I am having a very hard time integrating with respect to y instead of x. For example, I don't know how to express y=x^3-x^5 in terms of y. Help?

Here is a link to the question:

Volume of a solid of revolution about x=3? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: SW1986's question at Yahoo! Answers regarding a sold of revolution

Hello SW1986,

The first thing I like to do is plot the region to be revolved:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/806._xfImport

Using the shell method, we may first compute the volume of an arbitrary shell:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=3-x\)

\(\displaystyle h=x^3-x^5\)

and so we have:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi (3-x)\left(x^3-x^5 \right)\,dx=2\pi\left(x^6-3x^5-x^4+3x^3 \right)\,dx\)

Summing the shells by integration, we then find:

\(\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_0^1 x^6-3x^5-x^4+3x^3\,dx=2\pi\left[\frac{x^7}{7}-\frac{x^6}{2}-\frac{x^5}{5}+\frac{3x^4}{4} \right]_0^1=2\pi\left(\frac{1}{7}-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{5}+\frac{3}{4} \right)=\frac{27\pi}{70}\)

In this case, since we cannot explicitly solve the given function for $x$, using the washer method is impractical.

To SW1986 and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other calculus questions here in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Attachments

• sw1986.jpg
    sw1986.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 35

Related to SW1986's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a solid of revolution

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional object that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. Examples of solids of revolution include spheres, cylinders, and cones.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated by using the formula V = π∫ a^2 dx, where a is the radius of the shape being rotated and x represents the variable along the axis of rotation.

3. Can any shape be rotated to create a solid of revolution?

Yes, any two-dimensional shape can be rotated around an axis to create a solid of revolution. However, the resulting solid may not always be a familiar shape like a sphere or cylinder.

4. What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a surface of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional object, while a surface of revolution is a two-dimensional surface. A surface of revolution is created by rotating a one-dimensional curve around an axis, whereas a solid of revolution is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis.

5. How are solids of revolution used in science and engineering?

Solids of revolution have many practical applications in science and engineering. They are used to model objects like gears, pipes, and propellers. In physics, solids of revolution are used to calculate the moments of inertia for rotating objects. In engineering, they are used to design and analyze structures like bridges and buildings.