Frank Rodgriguez's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a solid of revolution

In summary, the question is asking to find the volume of a solid obtained by revolving the region enclosed by the curves y = xe^x, y = 0, and x = 1 about the x-axis. After plotting the region and using the disk method, the definite integral is evaluated using integration by parts. The answer is found to be pi/4 multiplied by the quantity e^2 minus 1. The shell method can also be used to check the result.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find the volume of the solid obtained by revolving the region enclosed by y = xe^x , y = 0 and x = 1?

About the x-axis. I am having a hard time with this problem. My professor says the answer should be pi/2 (e^2 - 1). He also mentions that he could be wrong. Can someone please show me HOW to solve this problem?

Here is a link to the question:

Find the volume of the solid obtained by revolving the region enclosed by y = xe^x , y = 0 and x = 1? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Frank Rodriguez,

The first thing I like to do is plot the region to be revolved:

Let's use the disk method. The volume of an arbitrary disk is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi r^2\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=y=xe^x\)

and so we have:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi x^2e^{2x}\,dx\)

Summing the disks by integration, we then have:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\int_0^1 x^2e^{2x}\,dx\)

To evaluate this definite integral, let's try integration by parts:

\(\displaystyle u=x^2\,\therefore\,du=2x\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle dv=e^{2x}\,dx\,\therefore\,v=\frac{1}{2}e^{2x}\)

and so we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{V}{\pi}=\left[\frac{1}{2}x^2e^{2x} \right]_0^1-\int_0^1 xe^{2x}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{V}{\pi}=\frac{1}{2}e^{2}-\int_0^1 xe^{2x}\,dx\)

Now, using integration by parts again:

\(\displaystyle u=x\,\therefore\,du=dx\)

\(\displaystyle dv=e^{2x}\,dx\,\therefore\,v=\frac{1}{2}e^{2x}\)

and we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{V}{\pi}=\frac{1}{2}e^{2}-\left(\left[\frac{1}{2}xe^{2x} \right]_0^1-\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 e^{2x}\,dx \right)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{V}{\pi}=\frac{1}{2}e^{2}-\left(\frac{1}{2}e^{2}-\frac{1}{4}\left[e^{2x} \right]_0^1 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{\pi}{4}\left(e^{2}-1 \right)\)

Normally, if practical, I like to also use the shell method to check my work, however solving $y=xe^x$ for $x$ requires the use of the Lambert-W function, and so we shall leave it at that.

To Frank Rodgriguez and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other calculus problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Frank Rodgriguez's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a solid of revolution

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This is often done in mathematics and engineering to find the volume of a shape.

2. How do you find the volume of a solid of revolution?

To find the volume of a solid of revolution, you can use the formula V = π∫ab (f(x))2 dx, where a and b are the boundaries of the shape, and f(x) is the function that describes the shape. This integral can be evaluated using calculus techniques.

3. Can any shape be rotated to create a solid of revolution?

Technically, any shape that is bounded by a curve can be rotated to create a solid of revolution. However, the resulting shape may not always be useful or meaningful in practical applications.

4. What is the purpose of finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be used in various applications, such as in engineering to design structures or in mathematics to solve problems involving three-dimensional shapes. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and can help with understanding the concept of integration.

5. Are there any real-life examples of solids of revolution?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of solids of revolution, such as cylinders, cones, and spheres. These shapes are often used in everyday objects, such as cans, ice cream cones, and sports balls. Solids of revolution are also important in architecture and design, such as in the construction of domes and arches.