Rickkyredu's question at Yahoo Answers (shell method for solid of revolution)

In summary, the Shell Method is used to compute the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region in the first quadrant about the y-axis. In this specific problem, the region is enclosed by the graphs of the functions y=x^{5} and y=sqrt[5]{x}. By setting up the integral and finding the limits of integration, the volume can be calculated using the formula dV=2\pi rh\,dx, where r and h represent the radius and height of each shell.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Shell method calculus?

Use the Shell Method to compute the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region in the first quadrant enclosed by the graphs of the functions y=x^{5} and y=sqrt[5]{x} about the y-axis.

Here is a link to the question:

Shell method calculus? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP may find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Rickkyredu,

The first thing I like to do in these problems, is look at a graph of the region to be rotated:

View attachment 607

Next, I like to compute the volume of 1 arbitrary shell:

$\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx$

where:

$\displaystyle r=x,\,h=x^{\frac{1}{5}}-x^5$

and so we have:

$\displaystyle dV=2\pi x\left(x^{\frac{1}{5}}-x^5 \right)\,dx=2\pi\left(x^{\frac{6}{5}}-x^6 \right)\,dx$

Next, we need to find the limits of integration, i.e., the $x$-cooridnates of the points of intersection for the two curves:

$\displaystyle x^{\frac{1}{5}}=x^5$

$\displaystyle x^{\frac{1}{5}}-x^5=0$

$\displaystyle x^{\frac{1}{5}}\left(1-x^{\frac{4}{5}} \right)=0$

We can see then:

$x=0,\,1$

Finally, we sum up all the shells by integrating:

$\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_0^1 x^{\frac{6}{5}}-x^6\,dx=2\pi\left[\frac{5}{11}x^{\frac{11}{5}}-\frac{1}{7}x^7 \right]_0^1=2\pi\left(\frac{5}{11}-\frac{1}{7} \right)=\frac{48\pi}{77}$

Attachments

• rickkyredu.jpg
    rickkyredu.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 39

Related to Rickkyredu's question at Yahoo Answers (shell method for solid of revolution)

1. How do I use the shell method to find the volume of a solid of revolution?

The shell method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution, which is a 3-dimensional shape formed by rotating a 2-dimensional curve around an axis. To use the shell method, you first need to identify the axis of rotation and the limits of integration. Then, you can use the formula V = 2π∫(radius)(height)dx to calculate the volume of the solid.

2. What is the difference between the shell method and the disk method?

The shell method and the disk method are both techniques used to find the volume of a solid of revolution. The main difference between the two is the shape of the cross-sections used to approximate the volume. The disk method uses circular cross-sections, while the shell method uses cylindrical shells. Depending on the shape of the solid, one method may be easier or more accurate to use than the other.

3. Can the shell method be used for all types of solids of revolution?

Yes, the shell method can be used to find the volume of any solid of revolution, as long as the shape can be described as a rotation of a 2-dimensional curve around an axis. This includes shapes such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

4. Do I need to know calculus to use the shell method?

Yes, the shell method requires knowledge of calculus, specifically integration. You need to be able to set up and solve an integral to find the volume of the solid. If you are not familiar with calculus, it would be beneficial to review the concepts and practice before attempting to use the shell method.

5. Are there any limitations to using the shell method?

The main limitation of the shell method is that it can only be used for solids of revolution with a cylindrical shape. If the solid has a more complex shape, it may be difficult or impossible to use the shell method. In these cases, the disk method or other techniques may be more appropriate.