SUVAT: Solving for t When s=(u+v)t/2

• Thread starter Dan1601
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suvat
In summary, the conversation is about using SUVAT to solve a homework problem, specifically determining the time and acceleration of a car based on its initial and final velocities and distance traveled. The person is struggling with rearranging the equation s=(u+v)t/2 to solve for t, but is unsure if their answer of 10 seconds is correct. They are seeking clarification and help on their approach.
Dan1601
Using SUVAT if s=(u+v)t/2
would t=2s/(u+v)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dan1601 said:
Hi, 1st day at college. 1st lesson on SUVAT and they set me a homework I am really struggling with hehe ended up coming here for ASAP for it being due tommorow.

I would say I am reasonably ok with it. One question I am just doubting I am right with is this:

A car accelerates uniformly from 5ms-1 to 20ms-1 over a distance of 500m.
How long does this take (t)
What is the cars acceleration? (a)

obviously using s=(u+v)t/2 but I am unsure how to rearrange it correctly. Taking a guess at 2s/(u+v)=t which provides me with an answer of 10. I don't think its correct because using t to find A i end up with 15/10 which doesn't sound correct. Please help

Your equation looks OK, but I can't see how you got 10 s out of it. Can you show what you did?

Related to SUVAT: Solving for t When s=(u+v)t/2

1. What is SUVAT and how is it used in science?

SUVAT is a set of equations used in physics to describe the motion of an object in a straight line with constant acceleration. It stands for displacement (s), initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), acceleration (a), and time (t).

2. How do I solve for time (t) using the equation s=(u+v)t/2?

To solve for time using this equation, you need to rearrange it to isolate t on one side of the equation. This can be done by dividing both sides by (u+v) and then multiplying by 2, giving you t = 2s/(u+v).

3. Is the equation s=(u+v)t/2 only used for objects with constant acceleration?

Yes, this equation is specifically used for objects with constant acceleration. If the acceleration is not constant, the equation cannot accurately predict the time taken for an object to travel a specific distance.

4. Can SUVAT equations be used for objects in circular motion?

No, SUVAT equations are only applicable for linear motion. For objects in circular motion, other equations such as those involving angular velocity and centripetal force should be used.

5. What are the units of measurement for each variable in the equation s=(u+v)t/2?

The units for displacement (s) are typically in meters (m), initial and final velocity (u and v) are in meters per second (m/s), acceleration (a) is in meters per second squared (m/s^2), and time (t) is in seconds (s).