Roller Coaster Physics: How to Calculate Maximum Velocity on a Horizontal Plane

In summary: We can use the power output and time to determine the total energy used by the motor in lifting the carriage. Then, by considering the energy changes from A to B, we can determine the maximum number of people allowed in the carriage.So, from A to B:GPE = mgh = 750 x 9.8 x 20 = 147000 JBut, we know that the motor is only capable of outputting 11000 J/s, so the maximum amount of time it can operate for is 11000 J. Therefore, the total energy used by the motor in lifting the carriage is:11000 J/s x 60 s = 660000 JNow, by considering energy conservation, we can set
Rumplestiltskin

Homework Statement

IMG_20151230_143214.jpg
[/B]

b) Calculate the maximum velocity of the empty carriage at D. (3 marks)

Homework Equations

/[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

750 x 9.8 = 7350 N

No clue. Can't use SUVAT on the vertical plane to find time because v = u = 0 from peak/trough to peak/trough. Horizontal plane from C to D:
s = ?
u = ?
v = ?
a = 0
t = ?

Maybe I could find u by finding v from B to C? Horizontal plane from B to C:
s = ?
u = 0
v = ?
a = 0
t = ?

Another dead end. Should I be using SUVAT at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why problem ask for the maximum velocity on C? Can be less? Why? Which word we use 3 times on these questions?

theodoros.mihos said:
Why problem ask for the maximum velocity on C? Can be less? Why? Which word we use 3 times on these questions?

Maximum velocity at D. Carriage? It could be less when accounting for friction.

What friction do (take)?

Rumplestiltskin said:
Should I be using SUVAT at all?
No, you don't know the shape of the roller coaster.
You calculated the potential energy at point B already. How can you use this?

Likes Rumplestiltskin
mfb said:
No, you don't know the shape of the roller coaster.
You calculated the potential energy at point B already. How can you use this?

Huh, so SUVAT only works on regular trajectories?
Most of it is converted to kinetic energy at point C, and back to GPE at point D.
GPE at point D = 750 x 9.8 x 20 = 147000. Ek would be another 147000 since the GPE is half at what it was at B.
147000 = 0.5 x 750 x v2 (this formula was only vaguely familiar, just touched upon it on the syllabus)
v = 19.8 m/s?

Rumplestiltskin said:
Only for constant acceleration.
Rumplestiltskin said:
Most of it is converted to kinetic energy at point C, and back to GPE at point D.
GPE at point D = 750 x 9.8 x 20 = 147000. Ek would be another 147000 since the GPE is half at what it was at B.
147000 = 0.5 x 750 x v2 (this formula was only vaguely familiar, just touched upon it on the syllabus)
v = 19.8 m/s?
Apart from missing units in the calculation, this is right.

Edit: Oops, copy&paste error from my side.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Only for constant acceleration.
Apart from missing units in the calculation, this is right.
v2 or v^2 for exponents.

Huh? I did v2. Thanks!

Woops, so there's 3 more sub-questions related to this.
c) The actual velocity of the carriage at D is less than the value calculated in part b. Explain the reason for this discrepancy by considering the energy changes that take place from B to D. (1 mark)
GPE is converted to kinetic energy but also other forms of energy such as sound energy. (Can someone confirm? Should I mention friction?)

d) Suggest how you would expect your answers to parts a and b to be affected if the carriage were to be fully occupied with people. (2 marks)
GPE would increase.
Max velocity would decrease.

e) The electric motor used to raise the carriage from A to B has a maximum useful power output of 11 kW and completes the lift in 1 minute. Determine the maximum number of people, of average mass 70 kg, that can be allowed in the carriage if the motor is to operate normally.
Really lost, this is kinda going outside of where we're at in the syllabus so far. Help?

Rumplestiltskin said:
GPE is converted to kinetic energy but also other forms of energy such as sound energy. (Can someone confirm? Should I mention friction?)
Friction is much more relevant than sound (also, sound production is usually included in friction unless there is some active production with speakers or whatever).
Rumplestiltskin said:
d) Suggest how you would expect your answers to parts a and b to be affected if the carriage were to be fully occupied with people. (2 marks)
GPE would increase.
Max velocity would decrease.
Why?
Rumplestiltskin said:
e) The electric motor used to raise the carriage from A to B has a maximum useful power output of 11 kW and completes the lift in 1 minute. Determine the maximum number of people, of average mass 70 kg, that can be allowed in the carriage if the motor is to operate normally.
Really lost, this is kinda going outside of where we're at in the syllabus so far. Help?
Consider energy again. That is a general hint for all mechanics problems. If energy is conserved, it is usually the easiest approach.

Likes Rumplestiltskin
mfb said:
Friction is much more relevant than sound (also, sound production is usually included in friction unless there is some active production with speakers or whatever).
Sound was just the example, but true. How would I explain how energy is lost due to friction?

Why?
I could go into that, but the answer field was two bullet points and it's a two mark question, so I presume that would suffice.

Consider energy again. That is a general hint for all mechanics problems. If energy is conserved, it is usually the easiest approach.
Yeah, that just hit me.
11 kW = 11000 J/s. Not sure where we go from here. Energy isn't described in J/s, and it's given that the motor operates for a minute, so I guess I'd do 11000 / 60 = 183 J but I'm not sure what I'm describing. EDIT: Of course I do. Energy used, per second, to operate the motor.
Where P = number of people, 70P kg < ...something.
(70P kg x m2) / s2 < 183 J?

Last edited:
Rumplestiltskin said:
How would I explain how energy is lost due to friction?
I don't think it needs an explanation beyond that.
Rumplestiltskin said:
I could go into that, but the answer field was two bullet points and it's a two mark question, so I presume that would suffice.
Well, one of the answers is wrong, so I asked how you got them.
Rumplestiltskin said:
11 kW = 11000 J/s. Not sure where we go from here. Energy isn't described in J/s, and it's given that the motor operates for a minute, so I guess I'd do 11000 / 60 = 183 J but I'm not sure what I'm describing. EDIT: Of course I do. Energy used, per second, to operate the motor.
You divide J/s by seconds, so the result has units J/s2, which is not a useful quantity (and it certainly does not have J as unit).

If I give you 5 apples per second, and do that over 60 seconds, how many apples do you get?

Rumplestiltskin said:
Where P = number of people, 70P kg < ...something.
Don't forget the cart. No, you cannot just change the units. Think what you did for (a), the potential energy at the top of the hill. You can do the same thing with persons in the cart, and compare it to the energy available (which you still have to calculate in the right way).

Likes Rumplestiltskin
Rumplestiltskin said:
Whether or not you can provide your reasoning as part of your official answer, you need to have a reason.
How will friction mean that more mass leads to a lower velocity?
The other significant loss of energy will be through drag. How will mass affect velocity when that is considered?
Rumplestiltskin said:
I guess I'd do 11000 / 60 = 183 J
If you include the units all through that calculation you might spot a problem with that.

Likes Rumplestiltskin
mfb said:
I don't think it needs an explanation beyond that.
I'm curious? :P

Well, one of the answers is wrong, so I asked how you got them.

Thing is, this was a question on a paper we completed a while back, and I'm going back working out what went wrong.
"GPE would increase" was marked correct.
"Max velocity would increase" was marked incorrect. I figured that an increased mass would pull up the whole equation. And it would, but I forgot that the equation was for Ek and v is only a variable in that. So it would stay the same? Either that or my teacher is wrong.

haruspex said:
If you include the units all through that calculation you might spot a problem with that.
You divide J/s by seconds, so the result has units J/s2, which is not a useful quantity (and it certainly does not have J as unit).

If I give you 5 apples per second, and do that over 60 seconds, how many apples do you get?

300 apples! :D Yeah, that was clumsy. Thanks. So 11000 x 60 = 660000 J.

Don't forget the cart. No, you cannot just change the units. Think what you did for (a), the potential energy at the top of the hill. You can do the same thing with persons in the cart, and compare it to the energy available (which you still have to calculate in the right way).

Right, 750 + 70P kg < something.
So 660000 J is needed to operate the motor in total. Not sure how to proceed. I know GPE = mgh is going to come into this but I'd be fumbling in the dark. The energy available?
EDIT: Okay, conservation of energy. That 660000 goes somewhere, into GPE.
660000 = m x 9.8 x 40.
m = 1684 kg. There's my something.
750 + 70P < 1684
70P < 934
P < 13.3

13 people?

haruspex said:
Whether or not you can provide your reasoning as part of your official answer, you need to have a reason.
How will friction mean that more mass leads to a lower velocity?
The other significant loss of energy will be through drag. How will mass affect velocity when that is considered?

I'd guess that increased mass would decrease velocity, but that was marked incorrect. With respect to maximum velocity, anyway.
I'd also guess that Newton's third law comes into this, but doesn't more mass mean more force, and that added force would at least equal the added friction?

Last edited:
Rumplestiltskin said:
I'm curious? :P
Well, there is friction between the cart and the track, and drag from the air.

"Max velocity would increase" was marked incorrect. I figured that an increased mass would pull up the whole equation. And it would, but I forgot that the equation was for Ek and v is only a variable in that. So it would stay the same? Either that or my teacher is wrong.
It would stay the same - at least approximately if we can neglect air drag.
13 people?
Right.
I'd also guess that Newton's third law comes into this, but doesn't more mass mean more force, and that added force would at least equal the added friction?
To a good approximation, everything scales linearly with mass: double the mass and you double the potential energy, kinetic energy, and energy lost to friction everywhere. The speed is related to the ratio "energy per mass", which stays the same.

Likes Rumplestiltskin
mfb said:
Well, there is friction between the cart and the track, and drag from the air.

The question said you needed to consider energy changes. How would this relate to energy? That's why I opted for mentioning GPE >> unused energy.

It would stay the same - at least approximately if we can neglect air drag.
To a good approximation, everything scales linearly with mass: double the mass and you double the potential energy, kinetic energy, and energy lost to friction everywhere. The speed is related to the ratio "energy per mass", which stays the same.

Right. More mass wouldn't affect velocity on it's own because while your force increases, your friction increases in proportion to cancel that out.
A larger surface area is going to increase the drag, so technically you'd be right to say that the velocity would decrease slightly, but the maximum velocity is a theoretical value and so wouldn't be affected.

Rumplestiltskin said:
The question said you needed to consider energy changes. How would this relate to energy?
An energy change would change the energy?
Friction always reduces the mechanical energy.

Rumplestiltskin said:
Right. More mass wouldn't affect velocity on it's own because while your force increases, your friction increases in proportion to cancel that out.
A larger surface area is going to increase the drag, so technically you'd be right to say that the velocity would decrease slightly, but the maximum velocity is a theoretical value and so wouldn't be affected.
Yes, part d only asks about the effect of increased mass on the answers to a and b. So in answering it you should ignore both drag and friction.
Had it asked about the effect on c then, as you say above, friction still would not change the velocity. But you are wrong on drag. Consider that while energy, momentum and friction all increase in proportion to mass, drag is related to the cross-sectional area. Since the carrriage appears closed, why would that change? Even if it were open, I doubt it would increase as fast as the mass.

mfb said:
An energy change would change the energy?
Friction always reduces the mechanical energy.
Why? And always? What if you could redirect the friction force and make it work in your favour?

haruspex said:
Yes, part d only asks about the effect of increased mass on the answers to a and b. So in answering it you should ignore both drag and friction.
Had it asked about the effect on c then, as you say above, friction still would not change the velocity. But you are wrong on drag. Consider that while energy, momentum and friction all increase in proportion to mass, drag is related to the cross-sectional area. Since the carrriage appears closed, why would that change? Even if it were open, I doubt it would increase as fast as the mass.

Part D asks specifically how the answers to parts A and B would change if the carriage were to be "fully occupied with people"; increased mass was only an inferrence from this. That would increase the surface area and hence the drag. I was thinking to mention earlier that drag is related to the area, which is a separate property of the people to their mass and so is unaccounted for by the proportionality of mass to friction. So there'd be additional friction force from drag and consequently a slightly lower velocity.

Rumplestiltskin said:
Why? And always? What if you could redirect the friction force and make it work in your favour?
Then it would not be called friction.
Rumplestiltskin said:
That would increase the surface area and hence the drag.
Right, but drag does not influence the answers to (a) and (b).
Rumplestiltskin said:
So there'd be additional friction force from drag and consequently a slightly lower velocity.
Drag would not increase linearly with mass. The energy loss per mass would go down, even with a higher total energy loss.

Related to Roller Coaster Physics: How to Calculate Maximum Velocity on a Horizontal Plane

1. What is the main force that propels a roller coaster?

The main force that propels a roller coaster is the force of gravity. As the coaster travels down a hill, the force of gravity pulls it towards the ground, causing it to accelerate.

2. How does the height of a roller coaster affect its speed?

The height of a roller coaster directly affects its speed. The higher the coaster, the more potential energy it has. As the coaster travels down the hill, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a higher speed.

3. What role do friction and air resistance play in roller coaster physics?

Friction and air resistance play a significant role in roller coaster physics. Friction between the wheels of the coaster and the track helps maintain control and prevent the coaster from derailing. Air resistance also affects the speed of the coaster, with more air resistance slowing it down and less air resistance allowing it to go faster.

4. How do loops and corkscrews on a roller coaster affect riders?

Loops and corkscrews on a roller coaster can affect riders in various ways. These elements can create a sense of weightlessness, making riders feel like they are floating. They can also cause changes in blood pressure and heart rate due to the quick changes in direction and acceleration.

5. How do engineers use physics to design safe and thrilling roller coasters?

Engineers use physics principles such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and centripetal force to design safe and thrilling roller coasters. They carefully calculate the speed, height, and angles of the track to ensure that the coaster stays on the track and provides an exciting experience for riders.