Surface integral of normal vector

That's a cool alternative proof. In summary, the conversation discussed how to prove the equality of the surface integral of the unit normal vector and the line integral of the cross product of position vector and differential position vector. Two different proofs were proposed, one using the Kelvin-Stokes theorem and the other using an arbitrary fixed vector.
daudaudaudau
Hi. Does anyone know how to prove that
[tex]
\int \int dS \hat \mathbf n = \int \mathbf r \times d\mathbf r
[/tex]

i.e., the surface integral of the unit normal vector equals the line integral on the r.h.s. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi daudaudaudau! :smile:

daudaudaudau said:
Hi. Does anyone know how to prove that
[tex]
\int \int dS \hat {\mathbf n} = \int \mathbf r \times d\mathbf r
[/tex]

i.e., the surface integral of the unit normal vector equals the line integral on the r.h.s. ?

This looks a bit like a special case of the Kelvin–Stokes theorem.
(Fixed your latex.)

But I suspect you mixed up the operations.

The Kelvin-Stokes theorem says:
1fdf437d8e18a23191b63df96ae36916.png

Last edited:
No, I really do want to integrate the normal vector over a surface, i.e. the result should be a vector.

I've been stumped at this for awhile, and Googling hasn't helped much.

I did think up a proof:

[tex]\oint \mathbf r \times d\mathbf r
= \oint \begin{pmatrix}ydz - zdy \\ zdx - xdz \\ xdy - ydx \end{pmatrix}
= \hat {\mathbf x} \oint \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ -z \\ y\end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix}dx \\ dy \\ dz\end{pmatrix}
+ \hat {\mathbf y} \oint \begin{pmatrix}z \\ 0 \\ -x\end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix}dx \\ dy \\ dz\end{pmatrix}
+ \hat {\mathbf z} \oint \begin{pmatrix}-y \\ x \\ 0\end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix}dx \\ dy \\ dz\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
= \hat {\mathbf x} \oint \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ -z \\ y\end{pmatrix} \cdot d\mathbf r
+ \hat {\mathbf y} \oint \begin{pmatrix}z \\ 0 \\ -x\end{pmatrix} \cdot d\mathbf r
+ \hat {\mathbf z} \oint \begin{pmatrix}-y \\ x \\ 0\end{pmatrix} \cdot d\mathbf r
[/tex]

Applying the Kelvin-Stokes theorem we get:
= \hat {\mathbf x} \iint (\nabla \times \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ -z \\ y\end{pmatrix}) \cdot d\mathbf S
+ \hat {\mathbf y} \iint (\nabla \times \begin{pmatrix}z \\ 0 \\ -x\end{pmatrix}) \cdot d\mathbf S
+ \hat {\mathbf z} \iint (\nabla \times \begin{pmatrix}-y \\ x \\ 0\end{pmatrix}) \cdot d\mathbf S
[/tex]
= \hat {\mathbf x} \iint 2 \hat {\mathbf x} \cdot d\mathbf S
+ \hat {\mathbf y} \iint 2 \hat {\mathbf y} \cdot d\mathbf S
+ \hat {\mathbf z} \iint 2 \hat {\mathbf z} \cdot d\mathbf S
[/tex]
= 2 \iint d\mathbf S = 2 \iint dS \hat {\mathbf n}
[/tex]

However, this is a factor 2 different from the equation you proposed.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was missing a factor of two in the equation i posted, so your proof is correct :)

Alternatively, for arbitrary fixed vector [itex]\mathbf{a} \in \mathbf{R}^3[/itex]
[tex] \mathbf{a} \cdot \oint \mathbf{r} \wedge \mathrm{d}\mathbf{r} = \oint \mathbf{a} \cdot (\mathbf{r} \wedge \mathrm{d}\mathbf{r}) = \oint (\mathbf{a} \wedge \mathbf{r}) \cdot \mathrm{d}\mathbf{r} = \iint \nabla \wedge ( \mathbf{a} \wedge \mathbf{r})\cdot \mathbf{n}\, \mathrm{d}S = \iint 2\mathbf{a}\cdot \mathbf{n}\, \mathrm{d}S = \mathbf{a} \cdot \iint 2\mathbf{n}\, \mathrm{d}S [/tex]
and the result follows since [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] was arbitrary.

Thanks, Anthony!

Related to Surface integral of normal vector

1. What is the surface integral of a normal vector?

The surface integral of a normal vector is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field across a surface. It is represented as a double integral and is used to measure the amount of vector field passing through a given surface.

2. How is the surface integral of a normal vector calculated?

The surface integral of a normal vector is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector at each point on the surface, and then integrating this product over the entire surface. This can be represented mathematically as ∬S F · dS, where F is the vector field and dS is the area element of the surface.

3. What is the physical significance of the surface integral of a normal vector?

The surface integral of a normal vector has physical significance in various fields of science and engineering. It is used to calculate the flux of a fluid, the amount of electric or magnetic field passing through a surface, and the work done by a force on a moving surface, among other applications.

4. What is the difference between a closed and an open surface in relation to the surface integral of a normal vector?

A closed surface is one that completely encloses a three-dimensional region, while an open surface does not. The surface integral of a normal vector over a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the vector field inside the surface, while the surface integral over an open surface can represent the flux of the vector field across that surface.

5. How is the surface integral of a normal vector related to the divergence theorem?

The surface integral of a normal vector is closely related to the divergence theorem, which states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. The surface integral of a normal vector can be thought of as a special case of the divergence theorem, where the vector field is simply the normal vector itself.