Surface Area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis

In summary: For equation 3: 2pi ∫(-1,5) (\sqrt{x+1}+5)\sqrt{1+\frac 1 {4x+4}} dyFor equation 4: 2pi ∫(-1,5) (\sqrt{x+1}+5)\sqrt{1+\frac 1 {4x+4}} dxFor equation 5: 2pi ∫(-1,5) (\sqrt{x+1}+5)\sqrt{1+\frac 1 {4
Lily Rose
Hi. I understand how to solve surface Area using integration when it is to be revolved about the x or y axis. But when the axis is not x or y I have a difficult time solving it. Please help me. Here is the equation

sqrt(x+1) rotated at x=-1 and y=5.
the bounds are 1 to 5.
since y=sqrt(x+1)
x = y^2 -1

I solved for x=-1 and I got ∫ (from 1 to 5) 2pi ((y^2 -1) +1) √(1+4y) dy

and for y=5 ∫ (from 1 to 5) 2pi ((√x+1)+5) √(1+ [itex]\frac{1}{4x+4}[/itex])

pls help me. I really do understand on how to rotate it about the x or y axis. I tried searching online for some tutorials but I can't find any.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the axes you're rotating about x = -1 and y = 5? As in, these are two separate parts of one question?

I suggest a change of variables here. You can redefine the axes (shifting everything to the left, right, up or down) and then use the formulae you know to find the surface area of revolution when the axis of revolution is the x or y axis. For example, if you make the substitution x' = x - a, then the line x = a is now the x' = 0 axis, or the y' axis.

Lily Rose said:
Hi. I understand how to solve surface Area using integration when it is to be revolved about the x or y axis. But when the axis is not x or y I have a difficult time solving it. Please help me. Here is the equation

sqrt(x+1) rotated at x=-1 and y=5.
the bounds are 1 to 5.
since y=sqrt(x+1)
x = y^2 -1

I solved for x=-1 and I got ∫ (from 1 to 5) 2pi ((y^2 -1) +1) √(1+4y) dy

I assume you have a typo under that radical and you mean$$
2\pi\int_1^5(y^2-1+1)\sqrt {1+4y^\color{red}2}~dy$$Although that isn't the way I would have set it up, at least the integrand is now correct, so you are doing something right. But your limits aren't. When ##x## goes from ##1## to ##5##, what are the corresponding ##y## values? That's what you want for your limits.

and for y=5 ∫ (from 1 to 5) 2pi ((√x+1)+5) √(1+ [itex]\frac{1}{4x+4}[/itex])

pls help me. I really do understand on how to rotate it about the x or y axis. I tried searching online for some tutorials but I can't find any.

In your second one$$
2\pi \int_1^5 (\color{red}{\sqrt{x+1}+5})\sqrt{1+\frac 1 {4x+4}}~dx$$you have the radius of rotation wrong. You want ##y_{upper} - y_{lower} = 5 -\sqrt{x+1}##.

Actually, you seem to understand pretty well what you are doing. Personally I would have done the first integral in terms of ##x## and the second one in terms of ##y## but once you fix the mistakes, you are OK.

How I look at it is like this:

If you rotate your function around an axis, what is your radius? Well look at it carefully, what are you really doing?

Let's say our function is [itex]y=\sqrt{x}[/itex] and we want to find the surface area. Well what's the radius if we rotate about the x-axis? Well at the x-axis [itex]y=0[/itex] and thus the distance from our function to our axis we're rotating about: [itex]r=\sqrt{x}-0[/itex]

Now let's say we want to rotate our function about [itex]y=-3[/itex]
So what's r? Well it's the distance from our function to our axis.
Or: [itex]|f(x)-a_{rotation}|[/itex], which in our case is [itex]|\sqrt{x}-(-3)|=|\sqrt{x}+3|[/itex]

I would recommend drawing it out.

Then you just plug it into your [itex]∫_{a}^b2\pi r\sqrt{1+f'{x}^2}dx[/itex]
Mod note: The above should be
##\int_a^b 2\pi r\sqrt{1+(f'(x))^2}dx ##

Last edited by a moderator:
oops. in the eq. it's f'(x), not f'x

LCKurtz said:
I assume you have a typo under that radical and you mean$$
2\pi\int_1^5(y^2-1+1)\sqrt {1+4y^\color{red}2}~dy$$Although that isn't the way I would have set it up, at least the integrand is now correct, so you are doing something right. But your limits aren't. When ##x## goes from ##1## to ##5##, what are the corresponding ##y## values? That's what you want for your limits.

I knew I was wrong there. So I solved for the values of y and I got √2 and √6 for my bounds in my second equation. Am I correct? OH! And thanks for noticing the 4y^2. I didn't notice that I did not square the Y
LCKurtz said:
In your second one$$
2\pi \int_1^5 (\color{red}{\sqrt{x+1}+5})\sqrt{1+\frac 1 {4x+4}}~dx$$you have the radius of rotation wrong. You want ##y_{upper} - y_{lower} = 5 -\sqrt{x+1}##.

as for this one, yeah, I get what your trying to say. I changed my answer.

LCKurtz said:
Actually, you seem to understand pretty well what you are doing. Personally I would have done the first integral in terms of ##x## and the second one in terms of ##y## but once you fix the mistakes, you are OK.

THIS LAST ONE ACTUALLY MADE ME SMILE. Thanks. It means a lot to hear someone say I'm actually right! I took your advice and here are my answers

For equation 1: 2pi ∫(from 1 to 5) ([itex]\sqrt{x+1}[/itex]-(-1)) [itex]\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4x+4}}[/itex] dx

For equation 2: 2pi ∫(from √2 to √6) (5-[itex]\sqrt{y^2 -1}[/itex]) [itex]\sqrt{1+4y^2}[/itex] dySO! Am I right?

Also guys...I have a problem. I solved for the both of them and i got different answers. Aren't they supposed to have the same answers?

Lily Rose said:
Also guys...I have a problem. I solved for the both of them and i got different answers. Aren't they supposed to have the same answers?

You should have two different answers. One for revolving about x=-1 and another for revolving about y = 5. The dx and dy versions should agree for each axis.

Lily Rose said:
THIS LAST ONE ACTUALLY MADE ME SMILE. Thanks. It means a lot to hear someone say I'm actually right! I took your advice and here are my answers

For equation 1: ##2\pi \int_1^5(\sqrt{x+1}-(-1)) \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4x+4}} dx##

Correct.

For equation 2: ##2\pi\int_{\sqrt 2}^{\sqrt 6} (\color{red}{5-\sqrt{y^2 -1}})\sqrt{1+4y^2}##dySO! Am I right?

Almost. ##y_{upper} - y_{lower} = 5-y##.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
##y_{upper} - y_{lower} = 5-y##.

you lost me there. May i ask why is it y instead of [itex]\sqrt{y^2 - 1}[/itex]

Lily Rose said:
you lost me there. May i ask why is it y instead of [itex]\sqrt{y^2 - 1}[/itex]

You can express a point on the curve ##y=\sqrt{x+1}## in terms of ##x## as ##(x,\sqrt{x+1})## or in terms of ##y## as ##(y^2-1,y)##. You want the ##y## value (the second coordinate) in terms of ##y## for the dy integral.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
You can express a point on the curve ##y=\sqrt{x+1}## in terms of ##x## as ##(x,\sqrt{x+1})## or in terms of ##y## as ##(y^2-1,y)##. You want the ##y## value (the second coordinate) in terms of ##y## for the dy integral.

STUPID ME. To be honest I looked at my notes and I was looking for where I got [itex]\sqrt{y^{2}-1}[/itex] and I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I got it from my original integral which was in terms of x then I just removed the inside of the radical. It's things like that which I need to watch out for. Thanks so so so much!

Related to Surface Area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis

1. What is surface area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis?

Surface area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis refers to the total area of a three-dimensional object when it is rotated around an axis that is not parallel to the x or y axes. It takes into account the curved surface area of the object, rather than just the flat surface area.

2. How is the surface area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis calculated?

The surface area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis is calculated by first determining the curved surface area of the object, then using a formula to find the surface area of a solid of revolution. This formula involves integrating the curved surface area over the entire angle of rotation.

3. What is the difference between surface area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis and surface area rotated about the x or y axis?

The main difference between these two types of surface area is the axis of rotation. When the object is rotated about the x or y axis, the resulting surface area is the flat surface area of the object. However, when the object is rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis, the resulting surface area takes into account the curved surface area of the object as well.

4. Why is surface area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis important?

Surface area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis is important in various fields of science and engineering. It is used to calculate the surface area of objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres, which are commonly found in real-world applications. This helps in determining the amount of material needed to construct these objects and in understanding their physical properties.

5. Can surface area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis be negative?

No, surface area rotated about an axis which is not the x or y axis cannot be negative. Surface area is always a positive value, representing the total area of a three-dimensional object. When an object is rotated about an axis, the resulting surface area may increase or decrease depending on the angle of rotation, but it cannot be negative.