Supremum Property, Archimedean Property, Nested Intervals

In summary, the conversation discussed Theorem 2.1.45 from Houshang H. Sohrab's book "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition), which concerned the Supremum Property, the Archimedean Property, and the Nested Intervals Theorem. The first question asked if it could be argued that ##s + \frac{m}{ 2^n} = \text{Sup}(S)## based on the given text, to which the answer was no. The second question asked for clarification on why ##I_n \cap S \ne \emptyset##, to which the answer was that the supremum of ##S## will be between the left and right endpoints of the interval ##I_n
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with Theorem 2.1.45 concerning the Supremum Property (AoC), the Archimedean Property, and the Nested Intervals Theorem ... ...

Theorem 2.1.45 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=62c764415354f60258c4d51a3600d8e9.png

My questions regarding the above text from Sohrab are as follows:Question 1

In the above text we read the following:

" ... ... ##s + \frac{m}{ 2^n}## is an upper bound of ##S##, for some ##m \in \mathbb{N}##. Let ##k_n## be the smallest such ##m## ... ... "Can we argue, based on the above text, that ##s + \frac{m}{ 2^n} = \text{Sup}(S)## ... ... ?
Question 2

" ... ... We then have ##I_n \cap S \ne \emptyset##. (Why?) ... ... "Is ## I_n \cap S \ne \emptyset## because elements such as ##s + \frac{ k_n - x }{ 2^n} , \ 0 \lt x \lt 1## belong to ##I_n \cap S## ... for example, the element ##s + \frac{ k_n - 0.5 }{ 2^n} \in I_n \cap S##?

Is that correct ... if not, then why exactly is ##I_n \cap S \ne \emptyset##?Hope someone can help ...

Peter==============================================================================

The above theorem concerns the Supremum Property, the Archimedean Property and the Nested Intervals Theorem ... so to give readers the context and notation regarding the above post I am posting the basic information on these properties/theorems ...

Attachments

• Sohrab - 1 - Theorem 2.1.45 ... - PART 1 ... ....png
    Sohrab - 1 - Theorem 2.1.45 ... - PART 1 ... ....png
    37.9 KB · Views: 818
  • Sohrab - 2 - Theorem 2.1.45 ... - PART 2 ... ....png
    Sohrab - 2 - Theorem 2.1.45 ... - PART 2 ... ....png
    29.9 KB · Views: 878
  • Sohrab - Axiom of Completeness ... Supremum Property ....png
    Sohrab - Axiom of Completeness ... Supremum Property ....png
    31.8 KB · Views: 606
  • Sohrab - Theorem 2.1.31 - Archimedean Property ... ....png
    Sohrab - Theorem 2.1.31 - Archimedean Property ... ....png
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,530
  • Sohrab - Theorem 2.1.43 ... Nested Intervals Theorem ....png
    Sohrab - Theorem 2.1.43 ... Nested Intervals Theorem ....png
    48 KB · Views: 620
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
Question 1

" ... ... ##s + \frac{m}{ 2^n}## is an upper bound of ##S##, for some ##m \in \mathbb{N}##. Let ##k_n## be the smallest such ##m## ... ... "Can we argue, based on the above text, that ##s + \frac{m}{ 2^n} = \text{Sup}(S)## ... ... ?
No. Consider ##S=\{x\in\mathbb R\ :\ x<\sqrt 2\}## and ##s=1##. The supremum of this ##S## is ##\sqrt 2##, which is irrational, while ##s+m/2^n## is rational for any ##m,n\in\mathbb N##.

The idea is that the two endpoints of the interval ##I_n## will straddle the supremum of ##S##.

Question 2

" ... ... We then have ##I_n \cap S \ne \emptyset##. (Why?) ... ... "Is ## I_n \cap S \ne \emptyset## because elements such as ##s + \frac{ k_n - x }{ 2^n} , \ 0 \lt x \lt 1## belong to ##I_n \cap S## ... for example, the element ##s + \frac{ k_n - 0.5 }{ 2^n} \in I_n \cap S##?

Is that correct ... if not, then why exactly is ##I_n \cap S \ne \emptyset##?
Because, if the set were empty, then ##s+(k_n-1)/2^n##, the lower bound of ##I_n##, would be an upper bound for ##S##, which would contradict the assumption that ##k_n## is the smallest natural number ##m## such that ##s+m/2^n## is an upper bound for ##S##.

Likes Math Amateur
andrewkirk said:
No. Consider ##S=\{x\in\mathbb R\ :\ x<\sqrt 2\}## and ##s=1##. The supremum of this ##S## is ##\sqrt 2##, which is irrational, while ##s+m/2^n## is rational for any ##m,n\in\mathbb N##.

The idea is that the two endpoints of the interval ##I_n## will straddle the supremum of ##S##.Because, if the set were empty, then ##s+(k_n-1)/2^n##, the lower bound of ##I_n##, would be an upper bound for ##S##, which would contradict the assumption that ##k_n## is the smallest natural number ##m## such that ##s+m/2^n## is an upper bound for ##S##.
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the help ... but ...

... I understand your first statement ... but then you write:

" ... ... The idea is that the two endpoints of the interval ##I_n## will straddle the supremum of ##S##."

Surely the supremum will be at or beyond the right endpoint ... and not straddle the left and right endpoints ...

Can you clarify further ...

Peter

The right endpoint is ##Hi=s+k_n/2^n##, which is an upper bound for ##S##, and the left endpoint is ##Lo=s+(k_n-1)/2^n##, which is not.

If ##u## is the supremum of ##S## then ##u\leq Hi## since a supremum (least upper bound) cannot be greater than any other UB.
Since ##Lo## is not a UB of ##S## while ##u## is, we must have ##Lo<u##.
Hence ##Lo<u\leq Hi##, whence ##u\in (Lo,Hi]\subset [Lo,Hi]=I_n##.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ... that clarifies the issue ...

Peter

Related to Supremum Property, Archimedean Property, Nested Intervals

1. What is the Supremum Property?

The Supremum Property, also known as the Least Upper Bound Property, states that every non-empty subset of real numbers that is bounded above has a least upper bound. In other words, there will always be a maximum value in a set of real numbers.

2. How is the Archimedean Property defined?

The Archimedean Property states that for any two positive real numbers, there exists a positive integer n such that n times the first number is greater than the second number. This means that no matter how large a real number is, there will always be a larger integer.

3. What are Nested Intervals in mathematics?

Nested Intervals refer to a sequence of closed intervals where each interval contains the next one. This concept is often used in mathematical proofs to show that a real number exists within a given interval.

4. How are the Supremum Property and the Archimedean Property related?

The Supremum Property and the Archimedean Property are both fundamental properties of real numbers. The Supremum Property ensures that every set of real numbers has a maximum value, while the Archimedean Property guarantees that there will always be a larger integer. These properties work together to create a complete and ordered system of real numbers.

5. Can the Supremum Property and the Archimedean Property be applied to other mathematical systems?

While the Supremum Property and the Archimedean Property are specific to real numbers, similar concepts can be applied to other mathematical systems. For example, the Completeness Axiom in the field of mathematics known as topology is similar to the Supremum Property. Additionally, the Archimedean Property can be extended to other number systems such as complex numbers.