Supremum Property (AoC) .... etc .... Yet a further question/Issue ....

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding Theorem 2.1.45 in Houshang H. Sohrab's book "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition). The conversation discusses the process and assumptions used in the proof of the theorem and clarifies certain interpretations and justifications. The conversation concludes with the confirmation of understanding and gratitude for the help provided.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with yet a further issue/problem with Theorem 2.1.45 concerning the Supremum Property (AoC), the Archimedean Property, and the Nested Intervals Theorem ... ...

Theorem 2.1.45 reads as follows:View attachment 7176
View attachment 7177In the above proof by Sohrab, we read the following:

" ... ...The Nested Intervals Theorem now implies that \(\displaystyle \bigcap_{ n = 1}^{ \infty } I_n = \{ u \}\) for a unique \(\displaystyle u \in \mathbb{R}\). Indeed, if \(\displaystyle u \lt v\) and \(\displaystyle u,v \in \bigcap_{ n = 1}^{ \infty } I_n\), then \(\displaystyle v - u \gt \frac{1}{2n}\) for some \(\displaystyle n \in \mathbb{N}\), which contradicts \(\displaystyle u, v \in I_n\), since \(\displaystyle I_n\) has length \(\displaystyle 2^{ -n }\). ... ... "I am unsure of Sohrab's process and assumptions as he is moving through the proof in the above quote ... could someone confirm (or otherwise) my interpretations as follows ... there are essentially 4 questions ( Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 respectively ...) ... ...First issue ... ... I assume that when Sohrab writes: "Indeed, if \(\displaystyle u \lt v\) ... etc etc ... " ... he is verifying his statement that \(\displaystyle \bigcap_{ n = 1}^{ \infty } I_n = \{ u \}\) for a unique \(\displaystyle u \in \mathbb{R}\)? Is that right? (Q1) Second issue ... ... when Sohrab writes: "Indeed, if \(\displaystyle u \lt v\) ... etc etc ... " ... ... he could have said \(\displaystyle u \gt v\) ... but he is just taking \(\displaystyle u \lt v\) as an example ... and we are left to infer that \(\displaystyle u \gt v\) works similarly ... in other words there is no reason that \(\displaystyle u\) is taken as less than \(\displaystyle v\) as against taking \(\displaystyle v \lt u\) ... ... Is that right? (Q2) Third issue ... ... Sohrab then asserts that \(\displaystyle v - u \gt \frac{1}{ 2^n }\) ... ... and I am assuming this follows because ...

\(\displaystyle u \lt v\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow v - u \gt 0 \)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow v - u \gt \frac{1}{n}\) for some \(\displaystyle n \in \mathbb{N}\) ... (Corollary 2.1.32 (b) Archimedean Property )

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow v - u \gt \frac{1}{ 2^n }\) ... ... ... ( Is this valid? (Q3) ... looks OK ... but justification? )

So indeed ... given we are doing analysis ... how do we justify \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{n} \gt \frac{1}{ 2^n }\) or \(\displaystyle 2^n \gt n\)?

and further ... is my interpretation above for the third issue correct (Q4)Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
First issue ... ... I assume that when Sohrab writes: "Indeed, if \(\displaystyle u \lt v\) ... etc etc ... " ... he is verifying his statement that \(\displaystyle \bigcap_{ n = 1}^{ \infty } I_n = \{ u \}\) for a unique \(\displaystyle u \in \mathbb{R}\)? Is that right? (Q1)
Yes.

Peter said:
Second issue ... ... when Sohrab writes: "Indeed, if \(\displaystyle u \lt v\) ... etc etc ... " ... ... he could have said \(\displaystyle u \gt v\) ... but he is just taking \(\displaystyle u \lt v\) as an example ... and we are left to infer that \(\displaystyle u \gt v\) works similarly ... in other words there is no reason that \(\displaystyle u\) is taken as less than \(\displaystyle v\) as against taking \(\displaystyle v \lt u\) ... ... Is that right? (Q2)
Sohrab is saying that if $\bigcap I_n$ consists of more than one point then it must contain two points, one of which is larger than the other. Call the smaller one $u$ and the larger one $v$.

Peter said:
Third issue ... ... Sohrab then asserts that \(\displaystyle v - u \gt \frac{1}{ 2^n }\) ... ... and I am assuming this follows because ...

\(\displaystyle u \lt v\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow v - u \gt 0 \)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow v - u \gt \frac{1}{n}\) for some \(\displaystyle n \in \mathbb{N}\) ... (Corollary 2.1.32 (b) Archimedean Property )

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow v - u \gt \frac{1}{ 2^n }\) ... ... ... ( Is this valid? (Q3) ... looks OK ... but justification? )

So indeed ... given we are doing analysis ... how do we justify \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{n} \gt \frac{1}{ 2^n }\) or \(\displaystyle 2^n \gt n\)?

and further ... is my interpretation above for the third issue correct (Q4)
That is correct. To prove that $2^n>n$, use induction. (I assume that Sohrab will have covered induction by this stage of the book.)

Opalg said:
Yes.Sohrab is saying that if $\bigcap I_n$ consists of more than one point then it must contain two points, one of which is larger than the other. Call the smaller one $u$ and the larger one $v$.That is correct. To prove that $2^n>n$, use induction. (I assume that Sohrab will have covered induction by this stage of the book.)
Thanks for all your help Opalg ...

Your explanations and help got me to an understanding of the proof!

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Supremum Property (AoC) .... etc .... Yet a further question/Issue ....

1. What is the Supremum Property (AoC)?

The Supremum Property, also known as the Axiom of Completeness (AoC), is a fundamental property of real numbers that states every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a least upper bound, or supremum. This means that for any set of real numbers, there is a largest element or boundary that the set approaches but never exceeds.

2. How is the Supremum Property (AoC) used in mathematics?

The Supremum Property is used in various areas of mathematics, particularly in analysis and calculus. It allows for the rigorous definition and proof of important concepts such as continuity, convergence, and compactness. It also allows for the construction of real numbers and the development of the fundamental theorems of calculus.

3. Can the Supremum Property (AoC) be extended to other number systems?

Yes, the Supremum Property can be extended to other ordered sets, such as the rational numbers and complex numbers. However, it cannot be extended to all number systems. For example, the set of integers does not satisfy the Supremum Property.

4. What is the difference between the Supremum Property (AoC) and the Maximum Property?

The Supremum Property states that a set has a least upper bound, while the Maximum Property states that a set has a unique largest element. In other words, the Supremum Property allows for the possibility of multiple elements in a set approaching a boundary, while the Maximum Property only allows for a single maximum element.

5. Are there any controversies or criticisms surrounding the Supremum Property (AoC)?

The Supremum Property has been subject to some controversies and criticisms, particularly in the field of constructivism. Some mathematicians argue that the property relies on the existence of the uncountable set of real numbers, which cannot be constructed in a finite amount of time. However, the Supremum Property remains a fundamental principle in analysis and is widely accepted by the mathematical community.