Superman created virtual particles?

In summary: I'm done.In summary, the conversation was about the physics and science behind comic book characters, specifically Superman and his use of virtual particles. It was clarified that virtual particles are a mathematical fiction and do not actually exist, and any discussion about their energy or existence is meaningless. It was also mentioned that Superman does not create virtual particles, but rather turns them into real particles using his heat vision and then causes them to annihilate, producing radiation. The conversation also touched on the difference between fiction and fantasy and the importance of accurate representation of science in science fiction.
RosutoTakeshi
Comic is Superman/Batman #80

RCO001_1468984782-1.jpg

Superman explains that virtual particles are always spontaneous generated

RCO013_1468984782-1.jpg

And that he's using his heat vision to (excite) the vacuum in order to accelerate the process. He's generating more virtual particles

RCO014_1468984782.jpg

So my question is, how much energy or heat did he have to use in order to create virtual particles, so they would annihilate themselves with the antiparticles?

Attachments

• RCO001_1468984782-1.jpg
    RCO001_1468984782-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • RCO013_1468984782-1.jpg
    RCO013_1468984782-1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,086
  • RCO014_1468984782.jpg
    RCO014_1468984782.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 808
Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a comic book, not a textbook. The science isn't right, but it's not about the science.

RosutoTakeshi said:
So my question is, how much energy or heat did he have to use in order to create virtual particles ...
None, since it's not possible. Virtual particles don't exist. They are a mathematical fiction. That's what "virtual" means in this context.

You really should not take the "physics" of comic books seriously.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's a comic book, not a textbook. The science isn't right, but it's not about the science.

I know it's not a textbook

Likes atyy
phinds said:
None, since it's not possible. Virtual particles don't exist. They are a mathematical fiction. That's what "virtual" means in this context.

Not taking it seriously at all. That's why this post is listed in the "science fiction" category

Likes atyy
Now that we've gotten the obvious out of the way, I'll change the question

What amount of energy would it take to cause a (real) particle to collide with its antiparticle pair? Or is this not possible at all?

Likes atyy
RosutoTakeshi said:
Now that we've gotten the obvious out of the way, I'll change the question
People assume you mean what you say and we are not mind readers. We answered the question you asked. It was in no way "obvious" that you already knew that your question was meaningless.
What amount of energy would it take to cause a (real) particle to collide with its antiparticle pair? Or is this not possible at all?
Very little because you don't need to push them together or anything. They LIKE joining up and annihilating each other, at least to the extent that quantum objects enjoy anything (most of them are just grumpy). The problem would be getting them to move around and I think you do that with magnetic fields that could, in the case of single particles already close to each other, probably be quite weak.

Likes RosutoTakeshi
phinds said:
People assume you mean what you say and we are not mind readers. We answered the question you asked. It was in no way "obvious" that you already knew that your question was meaningless.

Doesn't take a mind reader. And it was obvious to me, since this post is listed in the (Science fiction) category. But I'll do better at explaining next time

phinds said:
Very little because you don't need to push them together or anything. They LIKE joining up and annihilating each other, at least to the extent that quantum objects enjoy anything (most of them are just grumpy). The problem would be getting them to move around and I think you do that with magnetic fields that could, in the case of single particles already close to each other, probably be quite weak

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I appreciate it

Virtual particles have neither positions nor trajectories, so the concept of "pushing them together" is meaningless. As such, any discussion on how much energy it takes to accomplish it is meaningless as well.

Likes RosutoTakeshi
Vanadium 50 said:
phinds said:

One may want to distinguish between Fiction and Fantasy.

Vanadium 50 said:
Virtual particles have neither positions nor trajectories, so the concept of "pushing them together" is meaningless. As such, any discussion on how much energy it takes to accomplish it is meaningless as well.
Got it. Understood

symbolipoint said:
One may want to distinguish between Fiction and Fantasy.
That's a good point. I don't read much fantasy beyond Tolkien and tend to have a mindset towards science fiction instead of fantasy.

What are you talking about? Virtual particles exist, they just can't be observed. Where do you think an electron gets its intrinsic angular momentum?

Virtual particles

The thing is, superman doesn't create virtual particles. That is a common misconception. Superman actually turns virtual particles into real particles by his laser eye beam and then causes those real particles to annihilate, producing a bunch of radiation.

Last edited:
Alright whatever

Last edited:

Related to Superman created virtual particles?

1. How did Superman create virtual particles?

Superman's ability to create virtual particles is a result of his superhuman powers, specifically his ability to manipulate and control energy. He can use this power to create virtual particles by manipulating the energy fields around him.

2. Are virtual particles real?

Yes, virtual particles are real, although they are not observable in the traditional sense. They are a manifestation of quantum fluctuations in the vacuum, and their existence is supported by various scientific theories and experiments.

3. What is the significance of Superman creating virtual particles?

The ability to create virtual particles is a highly advanced and complex power, and it showcases Superman's incredible control over energy and matter. It also demonstrates the potential of harnessing and manipulating quantum fluctuations in the vacuum for practical use.

4. Can anyone else create virtual particles?

The ability to create virtual particles has not been observed in any other individual besides Superman. It is believed that this power is unique to him due to his Kryptonian physiology and his superhuman abilities.

5. How do virtual particles affect our everyday lives?

Virtual particles play a crucial role in the fundamental laws of physics and have been observed to contribute to the stability of atoms and the functioning of electronic devices. They also have implications in fields like quantum computing and particle physics.