SUN Project Looking Glass: Amazing 3D Desktop

In summary, the conversation is about a video that showcases Sun's "Project Looking Glass", a 3D desktop that is described as the speaker's dream desktop. There are two links provided, one of which may not be accessible due to browser settings or missing codecs. The speaker is impressed by the demo and wonders if a Sun workstation is required for the functionality. They also discuss the possibility of saving notes on the back of windows and the availability of the open source code for both Solaris and LINUX. However, the speaker notes that they may need to upgrade their hardware before being able to use it.
Physics news on Phys.org
ShadowKnight said:
Now this is the desktop of my dreams!
I couldn't see the first link; it just comes up as text. The demo in the second one is great, though.

I just checked, the first link still works, maybe your browser settings or a missing codec? Likely the video you saw in teh second link is the same as the first though.

That is pretty cool. I wonder if you'll need a Sun workstation to get that kind of functionality. Putting notes on the back of windows and such is pretty sweet.

One thing though...say you're looking at a website and you do annotate a note on the back like was shown...what happens to that note when you close your browser? Do you have to save that page?

I'd assume you have to save it - maybe it saves teh note and webpage as a type of bookmark? It is going to function on both Solaris AND LINUX, so I'll actually get to use it since I don't like SUN workstations :smile:

It looks like the open source code is actually available now but I doubt my LINUX box has hardware to run this - I need an upgrade first.

Related to SUN Project Looking Glass: Amazing 3D Desktop

1. What is the SUN Project Looking Glass?

The SUN Project Looking Glass is a software project developed by Sun Microsystems in the early 2000s. It aimed to create a 3D desktop environment for Linux and other Unix-based operating systems.

2. How does the SUN Project Looking Glass work?

The SUN Project Looking Glass uses advanced 3D graphics technology to create a three-dimensional desktop environment. It allows users to interact with windows, applications, and files in a virtual 3D space, providing a more immersive and intuitive computing experience.

3. Is the SUN Project Looking Glass still available?

No, the SUN Project Looking Glass is no longer actively maintained or available for download. It was discontinued in 2006, and its development was merged into other projects, such as Project Wonderland and Project Darkstar.

4. What are the advantages of using the SUN Project Looking Glass?

The SUN Project Looking Glass offered a unique and visually appealing desktop environment. It allowed for more efficient multitasking and improved organization of windows and applications. It also had potential applications in fields such as gaming and virtual reality.

5. Are there any alternatives to the SUN Project Looking Glass?

Yes, there are several alternative 3D desktop environments available, such as Compiz, Beryl, and KDE Plasma. However, these projects may have different features and capabilities compared to the SUN Project Looking Glass.