Summer REU for International students(computer science)

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of finding summer REU opportunities for international students in the field of Computer Science. Most programs are funded by NSF, making them only available to US citizens. The suggestion is made to contact individual professors to inquire about potential summer opportunities. However, it is advised to carefully select professors instead of sending out mass emails.
gaohan
Dear all:
I am an international student in SUNY-University at buffalo. I browsed many websites, and tried my best to get info. about Summer REU available for international students in the field of Computer Science. But most the efforts are in vain. Almost all the programs are funded by NSF, and thus requiring a US citizenship. I will be very grateful if you could provide me with some info.! Thank you guys~

Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost certainly out of luck in regards to REUs and national-type internships because NSF does the bulk of the funding for these things. You may have better luck selecting professors to contact at universities and explaining you'd like to work with them for the summer. Note that it is your best interest to select them carefully. Sending out a mass-email to everyone and anyone is a surefire way to get no response. For some reason students love to do this to my professor and I promise you she hasn't ever read one of these emails, much less responded.

Related to Summer REU for International students(computer science)

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a funded summer research opportunity for undergraduate students in the United States. It allows students to gain hands-on experience in a specific field of study while working with faculty mentors on a research project.

2. Can international students participate in a Summer REU program for computer science?

Yes, many REU programs welcome international students to participate. However, it is important to check the program's eligibility requirements to ensure that international students are eligible to apply.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a Summer REU for international students in computer science?

Participating in a Summer REU program can provide international students with the opportunity to gain research experience, improve their skills, network with other students and faculty, and gain a better understanding of the academic and research culture in the United States.

4. How can I find Summer REU programs for international students in computer science?

There are various ways to find Summer REU programs for international students in computer science. You can search online for programs at different universities, check with your academic advisor or department, or attend career fairs and conferences where REU programs are often advertised.

5. What is the application process for a Summer REU program for international students in computer science?

The application process may vary depending on the program, but it typically involves submitting an application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a resume or a research proposal. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each program.