Summer Research Ideas in Lasers/Laser Cooling

In summary, the person would like to build a control system for a laser process, but does not know how to get started. They would like to talk to professors about the project and see what ideas they might have.
svrphy
Hello,
I am a final Year undergrad in B.Sc in Electronics. I am going to apply for a Summer Research (2months period )in Lasers in other institutions and I am thinking to work on Laser Cooling. I have to specify a short, innovative project idea.
I have gone through courses in Quantum mechanics, Microprocessors, Communication systems ,E&M & optics.

Can anybody give me any ideas which can suitably apply my knowledge of microcontrollers/communication systems to Lasers . Eg : i went through the following (but couldn't get the essence of the whole thing)
http://arxiv.org/abs/1104.0064

PS : Most professors in the institutions are working of BEC, Lasers, Quantum Optics and Laser Cooling. But, given my knowledge set, i thought i could manage lasers/laser cooling the best & of course would be thankful for all ideas

Thanks very much in advance ..

Physics news on Phys.org
So you would like to build a control system for a laser process? That very much depends on the feedback signals that are available, and an understanding of the control algorithm required.

I have seen undergraduates do excellent work on summer projects - with laser based experiments - but the basic design of the project, as well as all of the hardware were already available in most cases.

So I suggest that you contact the people that you would be working with and have them suggest a project - then they will be providing some support.

UltrafastPED said:
So I suggest that you contact the people that you would be working with and have them suggest a project - then they will be providing some support.

Actually If I can come up with some illustrative ideas, and talk to them, I think they can tell me the type of apparatus available.

UltrafastPED said:
I have seen undergraduates do excellent work on summer projects - with laser based experiments - but the basic design of the project, as well as all of the hardware were already available in most cases.

could you get me an idea from few of those so that I may talk to Respective faculty members.

Related to Summer Research Ideas in Lasers/Laser Cooling

What is laser cooling and how does it work?

Laser cooling is a technique used to slow down and control the motion of atoms or molecules using laser light. It works by using a series of lasers at certain frequencies to interact with the particles and slow them down through a process called Doppler cooling.

What are some potential applications of laser cooling?

Laser cooling has a wide range of potential applications, including quantum computing, precision measurements, atomic clocks, and fundamental physics research. It is also used in the development of ultra-cold atoms for Bose-Einstein condensates, which have applications in quantum simulators and sensors.

What are some current research topics in laser cooling?

Some current research topics in laser cooling include the development of new cooling techniques, such as Sisyphus cooling and Raman sideband cooling, as well as the investigation of novel materials and systems for laser cooling. Other research areas include the study of quantum gases and ultra-cold molecules, and the use of laser cooling for precision measurements and quantum information processing.

How can laser cooling be improved or optimized?

There are several ways in which laser cooling can be improved or optimized. One approach is to develop more efficient and precise laser systems, which can lead to better control and manipulation of particles. Another avenue of research is to explore new materials or systems that can be cooled with lasers, as well as optimizing the cooling parameters and techniques used.

What are some challenges in the field of laser cooling?

Some challenges in the field of laser cooling include developing techniques for cooling larger and more complex systems, as well as overcoming technical limitations such as laser power and stability. Another challenge is to better understand the fundamental physics behind laser cooling and its interactions with particles, in order to improve and optimize the cooling process.