Suggestions for a 1st Year Physics Book/Program for Small ND School

In summary, when choosing a 1st year physics book or program for a small ND school, it is important to prioritize a clear and concise explanation of fundamental concepts, engaging and interactive activities, and opportunities for hands-on experimentation. A book that includes real-world examples and applications can also enhance understanding and interest in the subject. It is also beneficial to select a program that offers additional resources such as online tutorials and practice problems to support student learning and retention. Ultimately, the goal should be to create a well-rounded and comprehensive physics program that caters to the needs of the students and encourages a deeper understanding and appreciation for the subject.
Mark Metz
I am in a small school in North Dakota and will have four students in the class next year. I have been here two years after retiring from another state. Two years ago they took an online physical science class and from what I can figure out they learned very little to use for background. They will have had a bit of trigonometry.
So I am looking for an easier physics book that can introduce them to physics and somewhat bring them up to speed. Any suggestions for a book or program that would be most helpful to them? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell what will be the age of the students?

they will be 12 grade students when they take Physics They are all currently in Algebra II as Juniors

As far as I can gauge from your first post, the students will not know calculus. If that's the case, I'll ask you to give at least first two weeks for calculus, at least preliminary differentiation and integration. Because without calculus, they won't be able to understand anything in Physics, and we can refer only middle school books in that case, which generally don't explain topics in depth.

With a knowledge of preliminary calculus, you can look forward to books like Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick and Halliday, or Concepts of Physics Volumes 1 and 2 by H. C. Verma.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks I will take a look at them

There are a number of algebra+trigonometry based intro physics textbooks which are used for college/university intro physics courses for non-physics majors. The one I used most recently several years ago was Serway & Vuille:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1305952308/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This may be more material than needed for a high school course, but I don't know what books high schools commonly use.

There is (or was) also an algebra-based version of Halliday and Resnick. I have not seen it to know how good it is.

Vanadium 50 said:
There is (or was) also an algebra-based version of Halliday and Resnick. I have not seen it to know how good it is.
I've never heard of it.

jtbell said:
There are a number of algebra+trigonometry based intro physics textbooks which are used for college/university intro physics courses for non-physics majors. The one I used most recently several years ago was Serway & Vuille:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1305952308/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This may be more material than needed for a high school course, but I don't know what books high schools commonly use.
Hm, judging from my own experience when I was a high-school student (in Germany however), don't use high school textbooks. They make the already difficult subject of physics even more difficult in their try to be "pedagogical". The first university-level physics book was a revelation to me. It was some general introductory book for the introductory experimental physics lecture, I've found at the public library (I think it was the classic by Gerthsen, of which I don't know whether there is an English translation, but it's still published today in its 25th edition!). It's of the kind like Tipler or Haliday. I think that helps your 12graders more than some confusing high school or "calculus free physics" book (the latter being a "contradictio in adjecto" ;-)).

Related to Suggestions for a 1st Year Physics Book/Program for Small ND School

What is the best approach to teaching physics to first year students?

The best approach to teaching physics to first year students is to start with the fundamentals such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. This will provide a strong foundation for more advanced topics in the future.

What resources should be included in a physics book/program for first year students?

A good physics book/program for first year students should include clear explanations, visual aids such as diagrams and illustrations, practice problems, and hands-on experiments. It should also have supplementary materials like online resources and reference materials.

What are some important topics that should be covered in a first year physics course?

Some important topics that should be covered in a first year physics course include kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, waves, and basic principles of electricity and magnetism. It is also important to cover the scientific method and how it applies to physics.

How can we make physics more engaging and interesting for first year students?

To make physics more engaging and interesting for first year students, it is important to use real-life examples and applications, incorporate interactive activities and demonstrations, and relate the concepts to their everyday lives. It is also helpful to encourage student participation and ask open-ended questions to promote critical thinking.

What are some common misconceptions about physics that should be addressed in a first year course?

Some common misconceptions about physics that should be addressed in a first year course include the idea that everything is already known in physics, that it is only for geniuses, and that it is only applicable to certain careers. It is important to emphasize that physics is constantly evolving and has practical applications in various fields.