Succeeding in physics without having physics major And powerful math

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of succeeding in physics without having a major in the subject and a strong background in math. It is mentioned that while basic physics concepts can be learned without math, becoming an actual physicist would require a strong understanding of mathematics. It is also suggested that a degree in physics or a related subject is typically necessary to become a physicist, but it may be possible to pursue physics as a hobby without a degree. The importance of math in understanding and describing nature is also emphasized.
Alg0r1thm
Hi folks ,

I want to know could a guy succeed In Physic Without Having Physic Major And Powerful Math ?

I like physics but because of not having powerful math and physics ، and my family opinions I'm learning biology( But I like biology too )

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, I guess that depends on what your definition of "succeeding" is. You may be able to learn some basic physics concepts without knowing math, but you could never become an actual physicist.

lisab said:
Well, I guess that depends on what your definition of "succeeding" is. You may be able to learn some basic physics concepts without knowing math, but you could never become an actual physicist.
How can I become an actual physicist ?
Is it mandatory to have the same major ?
Can I learn biology and physics simultaneously ?

Well the simple answer is, not really. You need mathematics there's no way to hide from it if you wish to learn physics. If you wish to truly understand principles you need mathematics...it's not that big of a deal.

If you've never been good at mathematics start from the start...

Now to become a physicist does requires a major in physics (usually or something very similar)

Yeah, it can be done, if you are willing to learn more math.

Take a full calculus sequence, linear algebra and differential equations.

Specialize in biophysics.

You can always pursue physics as a hobby, take the hobby as far as you can without the math background.

Alg0r1thm said:
How can I become an actual physicist ?
Is it mandatory to have the same major ?
Can I learn biology and physics simultaneously ?

You don't necissarily need to have a degree to be a physicist, take George Green for example.
Now a days it is pretty hard to do anything without a degree however.

You need maths to describe things, without maths you can't describe things, physics is the science of describing nature, so yes, you need maths.

MarcoD said:
I have the feeling this is a troll. Can someone answer his question and close the thread?

potentially this

Related to Succeeding in physics without having physics major And powerful math

1. How important is having a physics major in order to succeed in physics?

Having a physics major can be helpful in providing a strong foundation and understanding of the subject, but it is not necessarily a requirement for success in physics. With dedication and hard work, anyone can excel in physics regardless of their major.

2. Can I succeed in physics without being good at math?

Math is a crucial component of physics, so having a strong grasp of mathematical concepts is important. However, it is possible to succeed in physics without being a math genius. With practice and determination, anyone can improve their math skills and excel in physics.

3. What are some tips for succeeding in physics without a physics major or strong math background?

Some tips for succeeding in physics without a major or strong math background include seeking out additional resources such as online tutorials or textbooks, forming study groups with classmates, and seeking help from professors or tutors. It is also important to stay organized and stay on top of assignments and readings.

4. Is self-study enough to succeed in physics without a major or strong math background?

Self-study can be a valuable tool in learning physics, but it may not be enough on its own. It is important to have some guidance and support from a professor or tutor to ensure a strong understanding of the material. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking out additional resources can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any specific physics topics that are easier to grasp for non-physics majors?

Some topics in physics, such as conceptual topics like mechanics or thermodynamics, may be easier for non-physics majors to grasp compared to more mathematical topics like electromagnetism. However, with dedication and effort, anyone can become proficient in any area of physics.